Daisydu
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Becky
Rock Hill South Carolina
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  1:43:53 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking of starting an herb garden. For use at home and possibly sell to the public later. I'm just in planning stages. Thought I'd ask you girls what would be the best to start with. You know, popular, useful, easy...I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have!

Loving a simple life in the country!
www.twistedfencepost.wordpress.com

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  3:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Herbs are so varied and useful, I would start with the ones you use most, some are perennials and some are annuals, so pick and choose what you would like....

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  04:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Read "All New Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew - it's helpful to start any type of garden. Other than the Bible, it's one of the few books that have truly revolutionized my life. I hope it helps you as well.

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  7:30:01 PM  Show Profile
We love basil, flat leaf parsley, thyme, oregano, mint, chives, and sage. I agree that you should plant what you use the most. Have fun planning your herb garden.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  08:08:13 AM  Show Profile

Dawn, those are our favorites too. In addition I like rosemary, marjorum, dill, cilantro. When I built my herb garden, I found a picture in a magazine of a square garden with a pickett fence. It has 4 sq beds in the center and beds around the fence, inside and out. In the magazine it was called a Colonial kitchen garden and should be located just outside the kitchen door. That is where mine is located. I love it. Get more compliments on that garden than all the others. I have several gardens.
Go to Top of Page

Daisydu
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Becky
Rock Hill South Carolina
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  09:05:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your suggestions! Now I'm off to start researching what is best for my area and what types of soil is best for what plant. I had a neighbor in WV that planted dill to use for her homemade pickles. I wish I had gotten her recipe, they were delicious. Unfortunately, she has passed on, so that won't be possible. Guess I'll have to perfect my own.

Loving a simple life in the country!
www.twistedfencepost.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

DairySue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sue
Connecticut
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  9:28:30 PM  Show Profile
I hope you have fun planning your herb garden Becky. I love dill and it is easy to grow. I bet you will likely find some great pickle recipes here on MJF. I grow some herbs near my deck in the ground, others in containers on the deck. Mint is very invasive for my small garden, so I keep it in a container. A couple years ago I discovered lovage, which I really enjoy now.

Sue in CT
http://frumsglassmenagerie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  06:23:42 AM  Show Profile
One easy herb to grow that will never disappoint you is Lemon Balm 'Melissa officinalis', also basils are easy and there are so many varieties, I love marjoram for the scent, try some Bee Balm, mints of course, and although it is not an herb an easy flower to grow that multiplies and just adds such lovely color is garden phlox, the tall variety- don't overlook herbs that grow wild such as mullein- borrow a good book from the library on what grows wild in your area and make a list.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Beginner herb garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page