Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Embroidering dishtowells
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidering dishtowells Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  3:07:52 PM  Show Profile
I have just been busy busy busy embroidering the past couple days..set my knitting aside and now I am busy with dishtowells and some pillow tops for gifts. I love to work on one type thing for awhile and then switch off and do another thing. I love the section on embroidery in THE big book..good ideas and inspiration. I want to do the vegetable band ones for me sometime...for now I have done several differnt "Aunt martha" iron on patterns for dishtowels to give relatives..there are some cute vintage looking ones. Any of the rest of you embroidering things for Christmas??

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  3:18:45 PM  Show Profile
I am finishing some pillow cases I started last summer for giftsI'm like you Jenny...have to switch from one thing to another. These cases I got on sale at Wal Mart and have the bluebirds holding the flowers and stuff, really cute. I'll be burning the midnight oil to get all this stuff done for Christmas!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  3:36:40 PM  Show Profile
I thought I'd better switch it up too! While most of my friends and family will receive a knitted scarf, I decided to try my hand at freehand embroidery. It is entertaining to see how I imagine a letter ought to look and then what it turns out to be. But I am either doing simple Christmas sayings or I am getting adventurous and embroidering a few of my favorite quotes! We'll see, my goals on this project are a little lofty. So far I have Merry in red on one dishcloth. Pillow cases would be beautiful too! Well, maybe not with quotes.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  7:58:28 PM  Show Profile
hi meg .. i usually 'freehand' my embroidery .. whether it's 'alphabet' letters or 'pictures' .. comes out more 'primitive' that way for me. i asked wilma and ann how they do theirs and they said they will usually write with indelible ink so that they don't end up in the 'middle of a word' at the end of the fabric! (good idea!)

i have, indeed 'written' it before stitching it too .. and find that if i want a more 'child-like scrawl' .. all i have to do is to write the 'saying' with my LEFT hand .. (i am right-handed).

also, when i give 'rag doll' classes, if i see that someone is 'struggling' to do 'primitive' .. it is helpful if i have them switch to their 'other' hand .. ha! i've even 'blindfolded' them and had them 'stitch' to loosen up their need to be "perfect"! xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  08:10:11 AM  Show Profile
Frannie - how fun to try it with your left hand. I am certainly not struggling with the primitive! It is quite entertaining! I did try it with indelible ink and I got kind of boring. But you're right, the danger is then that I get half through a word and I reach the edge of my fabric. You should see what my lowercase 'r' looks like! It is so interesting to see how my brain thinks it should look and how my hands make it look!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  08:21:24 AM  Show Profile
I do a lot of embroidering. I think it's my favorite needlework style. I made pillowcases for my kids this year - One says "Naughty" and the other says "Nice" in red. I just wrote in longhand with a pencil and then backstitched over it. They look darling.

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2005 :  7:08:11 PM  Show Profile
I am busy stitching little pillows like crazy..that is my main thing this Christmas gift making season it seems..but I am loving it. I sat last night with my muslin and pen and came up with a bunch of new stuff and sure am having fun. I am doing tons of the embroidery and not any of the finish work so far..I have a big old stack of tops to make into pillows and others ready to stitch..got some cute border and backing fabrics today..at least that is my excuse for the fabric shoppping trip. I will hopefully do some pillow sewing up tomorrow. Tonight..it is embroidery and herbal tea for me..I have a bad chest cold and don't need to be sitting out in the cold cold laundry/sewing room tonight.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2005 :  5:03:00 PM  Show Profile
I just did the opposite. I left the quilting and sewing for knitting and finished to scarves for my sister and her husband. I still have one quilt to finish machine quilting and one lap and one baby quilt to start. Then I get to go back to embroidery. I have a wool quilt that I am going to do hand button stitch, and embroider. I can hardly wait. I love embroidery first, then knitting, then quilting. But, like you, I get bored quickly so I usually have at least 10 projects going on at the same time. I am committed to finishing them though .

Tania
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2005 :  5:36:33 PM  Show Profile
Stu has taken to numbering my projects. "Well, that's number 635B.." Wow, it's really nice of you to make me a wool quilt. I've been admiring them for quite a while. Thanks!

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  11:41:43 AM  Show Profile
Patricia:

First Me!! I bet you would like doing it. This is from Quilt Maker magazine for the last year. Every month is several blocks. You might want to get on the web and see if you like it. We can share!

Tania
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  11:52:25 AM  Show Profile
LOL!! I feel project #633 coming on...

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  1:45:15 PM  Show Profile
I have tried to teach myself to embroider and just can't seem to get it. Wish I had some of you close by to help me! I'm envious of all your embroidery projects.

The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2005 :  5:21:07 PM  Show Profile
You are not that far away from Boise. Just a little 6-8 hour drive for a lesson.

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  01:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Or 3 hours away from Lakebay..with a guest room for all Farmgirls...
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  07:57:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh - you guys are so sweet! Now when I email you to tell you I will be coming don't be surprised! After Christmas I may need a Farmgirl Road Trip!

The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  10:39:09 AM  Show Profile
If you want to drive even further for a lesson and visit sometime..you are welcome here in the middle of Utah too!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  2:26:38 PM  Show Profile
kay .. if you do the more 'primitive' embroidery .. it is such an easy thing to do .. there are pretty much 'no rules' and the more childlike .. the more dear! the stitches are all very simple .. just go to your library or local book store and get a book on 'stitches' ..

all you need is:

* an embroidery hoop ..
* an embroidery needle ..
* some cotton muslin or osnaberg ..
* a 'disappearing' marker (in the quilt or notions department of your local craft or
fabric store.

scribble (or print it on your computer in any 'font' you like ...
a 'saying' or tape a simple line drawing (even from a cute coloring book) to a window .. tape your fabric over it .. trace it .. and just start stitchin'!

let us all know how it comes out .. and ask away if you have any questions .. lots of stitchers on here to give great tips and techniques. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  6:23:13 PM  Show Profile
Stop in Salt Lake City on the way to Jenny and Stu and I will cook something special. Woo hoo!!
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  8:03:24 PM  Show Profile
while watching a movie on tv tonight, i scribbled out these two little Red Work .. 'letters to santa' with my left hand (i'm right-handed) so it would look like a child wrote it ... (on olde white 'sugar sacks') .. and added a red/white check border (was a vintage kitchen cloth) ... will put a 'red string or ribbon of some sort (wanna' find an olde one) through the top so they draw up and can be used as 'christmas stockings' for goodies.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  9:05:43 PM  Show Profile
cute Frannie!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  9:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
...just wanted to add my favorite saying...as I'm feeling generous today. I've embroidered a few things with it, and use it on greeting cards too. And any baby born within an earshot of me gets something with this saying written on it.
"Hush my dear, lie still and slumber
Holy Angels guard thy bed.
Heavenly Blessings without number
Gently falling on thy head"
Judes

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  9:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Here are some pictures of some little gift pillows I stuffed tonight while watching "Scrooge" on video ( a REALLY old version) The "call your Mother" ones are for my 2 oldest sons

Jenny in Utah

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Dec 09 2005 9:21:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  07:03:05 AM  Show Profile
jenny .. your pillows are DELIGHTFUL!!!!!! thanks for sharing the pictures ...

(is that your PHONE i hear ringing?)

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  08:30:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh whyyy can't I have talent??? Why why why?? I'm so sad. I see all these creative women and then I remember how I decided I was going to start quilting but gave up after I couldn't even cut my squares correctly. *sigh* :)
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  10:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Frannie and Jenny -- your things are sooooooo cute! I actually have a something that I traced onto muslin but my stitches just don't look so great. I'm trying hard to master a simple backstitch and it looks awful!!! Guess I need to come to Utah, stop by Patricia's for my first lesson then on to Jenny's for more. Plus I could see Mona! Maybe when Spring comes and the mountains aren't covered in snow! Wouldn't that be fun!

Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2005 :  11:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Rachel, I have no doubt that you have creativity but you just haven't discovered your "outlet" It might be words on a lined sheet of paper. Or it may be chalk on the side walk. Or your creativity may be quilting and your problem may be with your inner "critic" That awful person who rears up and tells you that what you are doing isn't good enough. I suggest that you go to the library or the book store and look for books on creativity and just let yourself go. Get colored pencils and pens and big big pads of paper and don't try to create anything, just have at it. Or start out with crayons and a coloring book. Or threads and scraps of material or yarn.

Your creativity muse is there, she is just hidden. Your inner critic may have been trying to kill her or your job may have forced you to bury her away. If you invite her out and don't put a lot of pressure on her, she will pop her head out. Maybe while you are cooking or gardening but she will come out if you make a loving atmosphere for her to grow in. Maybe she won't be award winning but I know you will nurture and enjoy her.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidering dishtowells Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page