Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  03:25:54 AM  Show Profile
And, does anyone have experience raising turkeys?

Along w/ a few more chicks, I'll be wanting to get a few keets too to raise and possibly use for our own thanksgiving. I'm loking at the Bourbon reds and the traditional wild type too....not sure what those are called

yarncrazy102
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Diane
Lewiston ID
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  3:59:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Anna, We've raised turkeys - Bronze and what I call commercial whites. The Bronze tasted better than the whites after butchering. To describe turkeys, well . . . . . they're stupid, really stupid, really, really, really stupid. We purchased 6 keets in the spring for "autumn" butchering. We didn't have a brooder but used our collapsable dog kennel. We rigged a heat lamp and made sure they were out of drafts - it was late April. Well, it rained and one little corner of the kennel got wet. Where did those keets gather? Yep, right in the wet spot. We ended up with them in my turkey roaster on a good towel (my first new ones in 15 years) in the oven at 225 degrees. We had to rub them gently with flannel (per vet) and lay them in the roaster until they were completely dry. We only lost one and considered ourselves lucky we only lost one. After establishing them in a section of our chicken pen, they faired well. I'd try and find a book at the library or find online info on raising turkeys as you get ready to purchase turkeys. Get as prepared as you can BEFORE you get your turkeys. They need an open area as well as a sheltered one. We fed "variety" as my husband has never liked the concept of commercial feed. We fed cast-off fruits and veggies from an organic produce market (our pigs, sheep, goats, etc. also ate these foods) and toward the "end" a commercial finisher only as a crowning touch. Our turks averaged a bit more than 30 pounds a piece and we would cut them in half at butchering. If I had to do it again, I'd butchered them at 20 pounds. If you have ever had a free range turkey, you will know what I mean when I say put the bird in the oven and don't open the door until your timing is totally up. AND, you need to use a lidded roaster. You have to remember that commercial turks are often injected with up to 4-6 pounds of a flavored "water". That's why there's always a lot of juice in the pan for "gravy". White turks are about the same but we preferred the Bronze as they had a truer turkey flavor. If you don't put them in a lidded roaster or some sort of "seal", they tend to be dry and we all know what dry white breast meat tastes like. Unless you like turkey, depending on your family size, don't buy more turkeys than you can eat after butchering them as they are only really tasty for about 3 months after butchering no matter how well wrapped they are. We also raised meat chickens. The best advice I can give about raising them is . . .when they say to butcher them at 12 weeks, do so. The flavor isn't changed much BUT they tend to get so heavy that they get bowed legged or die of heart attacks. Hope this helps a bit.

From Cleveland to Idaho - what a ride!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  6:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Anna, if you've never had turkeys before, I'd recommend starting with some that are already a few months old. Like Diane said, they're stupid. They were born to die and die they will. Quick! I bought 6 last year that were about 5 months old. So only had a few months before Thanksgiving. They stink, too. And eat tons of food. I did lose 2 before then, I forgot that. I butchered one myself and a friend came to help with hers. It was really good.

Good luck. Kris

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  09:31:42 AM  Show Profile
Just chimming in with my two cents.

I haven't raised turks, cause there's just two of us, but several in our 4-H Club have. I have heard them say chicks and turks should be seperated because of "black spot". I think that's what it's called. You could check the internet for info.

Also I would recommend deciding how they will be butchered before you start. I mean, are you going to do it, or are you thinking of having them done by a butcher. Our club was forced to learn how to butcher all our poultry (chicks/turks/ducks/quail) cause none of the butcher guys wanted to bother. And, if you did find someone who was willing they charged way too much - mainly because they didn't want to do it in the first place.

Good luck. Home raised birds are great. We grow our chickens to almost 10 pounds so they're like little turkeys.

Enjoy
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  10:02:36 AM  Show Profile
Boy o boy did you ever hit a nerve! !!!!!!!!!1
remember when,,,(am I dateing myself?) you could go into Von's/Safeway/Ralphs etc. go to the meat/butcher dept and hand them a 2 lb hunk of beef and they would slice it for you? I use to make my own jerky, buy the beef, have the butcher slice it and take it home to season/dry it. Now most markets get their meet in frozen & already processed and will not handle it. I actually had to go buy my own meat/bread slicer.
As for preping fowl, the 1st couple times is a bit tuff but then after that it isn't quit as yucky a job. Dove & quail are easy, chicken not so (feathers) unless you completely de-skin it.
Oh & just for giggles, check out Paul Deans receipe for "Turducken",,,yep, a chicken stuffed in a duck which is stuffed in a turkey...no lie! I watched it on one of her Holiday cooking shows 2 years ago...
Ok, Anna, have fun with your Turkey & what ever you do, Do Not...name them....
it's hard to behead "Terry Turkey" lol!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  10:57:22 AM  Show Profile
As dumb as they are, we have raised a few turkeys and they have been my favorite farm pets. Yes, pets, they follow you around like a dog and are hilarious to watch. I had a hard time when butchering day came. :( But, yummy!! (We've only had the double-breasted white and the bronze)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  03:34:51 AM  Show Profile
OH thanks so much for the morning laughs and solid info!

I knew turks were stupid, maybe its a draw between them and ostrich.

Since it's just me and hubby and the dog we might start out with 1 bird to free range and butcher. ok I'll order 6 and hope for the best!

We have a ton of chickens that free range, so I'm hoping to set turkeys in w/ some of the chickens until they get that that's where everybody roosts at night.

and I know all about butcher times. I don't care to waste a decent bird to dumplings at Thanksgiving!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic turkeys Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page