Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Learning to hand milk a Dexter cow - any hints?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Learning to hand milk a Dexter cow - any hints? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  12:52:12 PM  Show Profile
Howdy, ladies. My neighbor, this amazing 86-year-old completely original farmgirl, has a great Dexter cow named Bridgit - well, little Bridgie had a baby last night - a girl! - and in a little while, my neighbor said that I could start milking her. The thing is, I've never milked a cow before. Do any of you know any good resources, hints, helps? I'm SO excited!

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2005 :  3:50:52 PM  Show Profile
How exciting Libbie..I can't wait to hear how it goes. Is there a stanchion or place you can have her be to milk her? I guess what I am asking is how set up things are where she is. How fun to have a neighbor willing to let you milk..I bet the baby is the cutest!! I think with milking you just have to do it to know how...I have been "visiting this website forum too..and I know FlipFlop Farmer from here goes there too.....there have been lots of hints there...all cow gals!!
www.keepingafamilycow.com

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Nov 20 2005 3:53:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  09:36:19 AM  Show Profile
As far as the setup where she is, nope, there's not a darn thing except a three-sided "barn" that's pretty nice. I'm thinking that all I really need are the following: a seamless bucket, a strainer and a stool. Am I on the right track? I'll check out that website - thanks!

Also - please keep in mind that I can offer a loving home to any girl-calf that you may have available !

Edited by - Libbie on Nov 21 2005 09:39:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

mcbride
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Claudia
Claremore OK
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  09:55:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Libbie,
Has this cow been milked before? In other words, is she "broke" to milk or are you starting from the ground up? How you proceed depends upon the cow's experience. If she's accustomed to being milked, then you're right. About all you need is a bucket and a stool. You can even use cheesecloth or a diaper to strain the milk. In a pinch, you can manage without the stool. Your legs just won't be very happy. If she's been milked before, then it's mostly a matter of you learning how to pinch off the milk in the teat with you thumb and forefinger while your other fingers squeeze the milk out of the teat, then open your thumb and forefinger to let more milk in and repeat the action. You just have experiment until you get the right rhythm

If this cow hasn't been milked, it's a whole different story. You're undoubtedly going to have to tie her up at the very least. A stanchion would be best. You may have to hobble her and work very patiently with her before she will stand quietly to be milked.

Whatever the case, before you milk, wash her bag with warm water or warm soapy water and rinse with warm water. Spend some time massageing it with the warm cloth as this will help relax her and get her to let her milk down. You may have to let the calf nurse on one side while you milk on the other side to get started.

Hope some of this is of some help to you.

Claudia
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  1:41:25 PM  Show Profile
Nope this girl has about as much milking experience as I do! None! We are going to have to be a very novice team for a while - I think I have the patience to do it, however. Can you tell me how to make a stanchion, or where to see some pictures/plans? I think that might be necessary. She's a gentle lady, but I don't know how she'll react to being milked for the first while.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  1:49:20 PM  Show Profile
When my Dexter had her calf last summer she refused to let the calf nurse...I was desperate. All the advice here is excellent, and I am no expert by any means...my DH milked cows everyday on his parents farm while growing up. I will ask him for advice for you. I tied the heifer to a boat and tied her to hobble her too. Cleaning the bag and nipples is a must. I leaned hard into her side. Easy for a big man, not easy for a small women when the cow objects. And start squeezin those teats...usually a cow will calm down and enjoy it. But believe me you will work up a sweat and be stinky and dirty afterwards, but it gets better as time goes on. I'll ask my DH when he gets home for some milking advice...

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  2:53:01 PM  Show Profile
as far as building a stanchion, if you get to come up here to visit I can show you mine. Husband is almost done with it. He built it I think strong enough for an elephant...but thats okay..better too strong than too weak I guess..it is sure heavy duty!! Ours is built into my little 10X12' "milk barn" attached to the right side and floor so she can walk straight into it..as soon as he finishes it I will start practicing putting her in it and get her used to eating her grain there and being groomed and touched so she dosn't protest as much (hopefully) when the time comes for milking..which wont' be long!!
I really hope the gal who spoke for her calf if it is a heifer falls through. I would sure like to see you have her instead!! WE can hope!! Good luck milking!! Hobbles may be a good idea..they are on ebay all the time for not very expensive..IFA may have them too.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

mcbride
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Claudia
Claremore OK
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  5:40:28 PM  Show Profile
A stanchion is rather like a headgate. I found a pretty good picture of one at www.crackerbarrel.com/about-decor.cfm?doc_id=83 - 14k Of all places, this is a website for Cracker Barrel Restaurants. It makes me crazy to eat in one of these places. They have all these neat old tools hung up as decoration that I could use for their original purpose! It just seems criminal. Anyway, check out this picture. Just work with her and be patient; begin by massaging and stroking her bag, find itchy spots--that usually makes you a friend fast. Let us know how things are going.

Claudia
Go to Top of Page

mcbride
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Claudia
Claremore OK
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  5:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Meadowlark, I just bought a Dexter heifer. I've had big cows before but since we have just 10 acres, Dexters seemed like the perfect size for us. My sister bought a Dexter bull and cow a little over a year ago and I was so impressed with them that that clinched the decision. Our little girl is a dun; we name her Keely, which is Irish Gaelic for 'beautiful'. I'd love to here more about your Dexters.

Claudia
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  6:00:39 PM  Show Profile
I would love to have a Dexter. They remind me of the little red cross-bred cows people used to have around here. With the explosion of big Holstein dairies, it is harder and harder to find the little cross-bred cows. I think a Dexter would be a good replacment for them. The thing about cows is that once they have done something the same way 3 or 4 times, they will always do it that way. The first few times may be next to impossible, but after that it is a snap. I have seen people milking cows by tying them to a fence, but a stantion is best, for her safety and yours, especially at first. Start by feeding her grain in a feed trough behind the stantion. Don't try to fasten her in at first just get her to put her head in and eat grain that way. After a couple of times shut her in, even if you have to reach the stantion bar with a long stick, or fix it so it can be closed with a rope. After she is confined you can get her used to being touched. Most cows like to be petted, and brushed and rubbed. Rub her all over, she may be touchy at first about her udder, but she will get used to it. Wash her udder with warm water, dry her with a clean cloth, and use bag balm to soften up her skin. When she freshens, make sure the calf gets the cholstrum. While the calf is sucking, you should be milking some, most of the time a cow will have way more than the calf need, milk it and freeze it. You may need it for another calf. We usually left the calf with the cow a couple of days. After she came into her milk, we confined the calf, and milked the cow out and fed the calf with a bottle of bucket. Some cows are touchy and will kick, most won't. Get a good stool, put your head hard into her flank, and milk. Squeeze the top of the teat first with your thumb and index finger, letting the rest of your finger close one at a time, as you pull down. I was never very good at it, I have bad wrists, but most people can learn. The best thing would be advice for the lady who owns the cow, bet she has milked alot.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  6:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Kennie...you have got it down...excellent milking advice!!!! Building a bond with the cow is very important...if you relax, so will they....Claudia....welcome to the wonderful world of Dexters....are you breeding your little girl? We got our first breeding pair 7 years ago...they are wonderful! We have 4 head on 2 acres...you made an excellent decision! MaryJane the Queen Bee has Dexters now...they are addicting Bovine! A little history about these amazing animals...they are called "Irish Kitchen Cattle"...because they originate from the moors and wild lands of the British Isles...they are very hardy and roamed eating the turf moor grasses and withstanding the harsh weather of the region...the indegionous Celtic people would welcome these gentle beasts into their kitchens...giving them garbage and scrapes like pets...and their body heat would warm the rooms...they are truly a gentle and sweet breed for Bovine...and can easily become pets...as I have discovered. Their short stature and sweet disposition are endearing...as well as their low maitenance! We have processed one bull, and the meat is excellent....lean and tasty. Our Dexters thrive on brome grass, alfalfa, and a ration of oats...and they love cast off breads from the bake shop we get for a buck ( a huge feed bag)they are garbage eaters! You will love your Dexters...and I love the name you choose! My DH is Irish ancestory...he eats garbage too...LOL. ( junk food fanatic)The midwest is well suited to them....I live in central Kansas! Welcome to this forum! Jenny from Kansas

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

mcbride
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Claudia
Claremore OK
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2005 :  8:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, hey, Jenny, we're practically neighbors. I live in northeastern Oklahoma. Thanks for all the info on Dexters. Yes, I'm going to breed Keely when she's old enough. My sister's bull is unrelated and is also a dun and he is turning into a nice bull so he should be a good match for her. I'm really falling in love with this little girl; she had just been running with a herd but in the few weeks we've had her she's already hurrying to meet us at the barn when it's time to go in for the night and she always comes to see what we're doing when we're working around where she is. She still isn't sure she wants to be touched unless it's her idea but I think all it's going to take is some steady work to have her kitten gentle. I'll have to offer her bread and see how she likes it.

Claudia
Go to Top of Page

Rainbow
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

brenda
Schomberg Ontario
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2005 :  12:59:16 PM  Show Profile
hey Libbie I don't know if dexters are any different than holsteins but you'll know in short order how she feels about being milked, especially by you. you have already got really great advice so take it and you'll find yourself a pro in no time. I would like to add that animals pick up fear quickly, caution is a must as is confidence if you're comfortable around her that's how she'll feel as well.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2005 :  8:11:36 PM  Show Profile
You all do have some wonderful advice and tips - thank you all. I am nervous, but excited about this - I'll be able to begin milking in a week or so, the owner says - so I'll be able to report back on the first experience.

I absolutely cannot wait to get started. I have never had a cow, but since the mama's babe is a heifer, I may ask to purchase her (if Aunt Jenny's buyer doesn't fall through!). They seem like such sweet and willful creatures - kind of like, ummmmm...., me?

I can see why Dexters were/are called "Kitchen Cattle" - this mama is really no taller than my chest, and her babe is such a darling little one - both of them are pitch black and shiny, and have dark, dark deep eyes - and the funniest thing - they both have really furry/fuzzy ears - it looks like someone stuck teddy bear ears on a cow! I love it! The mom's name is Bridgit and the babe is Colleen - I wanted to name the babe Molly (I know, it's trite, but I love that name), but, alas, she's not mine to name...(although I might call her Molly on the sly!). I LOVE the name Keely, too.

I have heard that it's possible to milk a cow once a day if you initially start out like that. Will it harm the cow?

Thanks, also for the link to the stanchion pic - that definitely helped clear things up for me. I'd like to come up and see yours (Jenny's), as well as check out the farm -

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2005 :  1:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Husband got mine all done..I just need to get pictures taken and posted. It turned out great.
Come up any old time Libbie!!!
my internet connection has been giving me fits the last couple days. I will try to get some pictures posted soon. The dexters sound just adorable!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2005 :  3:44:20 PM  Show Profile
It is twice a day, every day, for as long as she is milking. When you are ready to dry her up, then you milk once a day for a few days then keep stretching out the time between until she is dry. She won't explode if you miss a milking, but the amount of milk will go down. You can milk once a day and let the calf have the milk the other time, but when they are little it is too much milk. I milked from the time I was 12 until I was 50, and only once forgot to milk, I still don't know how I could have forgotten something I did twice a day for forever. I felt so bad, lucky the cow had been milking for several months, so she wasn't too uncomfortable.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  4:06:37 PM  Show Profile
I sure wish i were closer to you, I have some stanchions, the old metal type in my barn that we have dismounted. I have them in a wall socket so they stay protected, but seeing as how i will never have cows, they are just going to waste. I am the kind of person that would rather have someone use them that needs them than to make money off them. SO, if anyone is in the michigan area and needs a stanchion or two, get hold of me, o.k? Libbie, you wouldn't be making a trip up here anytime would you?
Good luck with all of the good advice on here, and the best is, the whole squeezing from the top thing. At first it seems backwards, but practice and it is a wonderful thing to be able to do! Have fun, and enjoy..jenny louise
Go to Top of Page

Kay in Kentucky
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Kay
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  6:15:48 PM  Show Profile
I have heard again and again how nice Dexter cows are I was wondering who has one for sale in or near Kentucky?

My blog;
http://oakspringfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JerseyCowFan
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Colville Washington
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  12:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see JerseyCowFan's MSN Messenger address
If you want to be more sanitary, you can purchase, or maybe even find a way to make, a teat dip with iodine. It is more sanitary than water (water spreads germs). Make sure your cow is clean before every milking! And the quicker you cool your milk, the fewer bacteria have time to multiply.
Carla Emery's "Old Fashioned Recipe Book" has a description and diagram for milking a cow, which could be helpful. Just be careful, especially if she's a first time mom.

Michelle
Spirited Rose Jerseys
Colville, WA
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  3:34:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm bumping this one back up because I just realized that I never followed up about Bridget! She's my Dexter cow - and I have her little girl, Squidget (named by my 3-year-old, if that wasn't sort of obvious!), too. Squidget is going back to the woman who sold me Bridget - which I'm sad about, but that's part of the deal. So, Bridgie is (hopefully!) being bred this autumn - the first try didn't "take," so we're just waiting...

She's a really small Dexter with some sort of weird ear thing - she's a registered gal, but has this split outer ear that's transfered to her offspring, so, although she is the sweetest thing ever (not biased, of course), it looks like she had an ear tag ripped out of each side, which is not the case.

Here's a photo of her from the other day - she's really that small - I'm just standing up next to the fence, and she has a face full of hay - a happy, albeit messy, little gal!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  4:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just a spot of advice-

When I was milking goats this summer we washed their udders down with a iodine and warm water solution before milking. We also would let the first couple of streams go into a seperate container so any dirt that got on the teats was dealt with. I could always tell by the taste of the milk when this wasn't done. I would definitly suggest this for any milking operation.

Also we would spray the goat's udders with a spray that was bought from the local grange. I forgot what it is called but it is designed to help prevent mastitis and other bacterial infections.

Have fun with your milking! I am so jealous that you have this opportunity!
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  5:19:43 PM  Show Profile
We purchased two Dexter cows and a bull to start our heard 3 months ago. I have milked cows and currently milk a goat. I really want to milk our dexter's when the come into milk. They haven't been handled much so it will be new for them. I plan to use a stantion, a no kick hold, and plenty of patients! We will have to compare notes!
happy milking,
Pennie

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  6:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh Libbie..she is adorable!!
I agree with washing the udder well and milking the first few squirts ( I do four from each quarter) into another container..I use a strip cup....just to make sure to get rid of that first milk that was the closest to the hole...and seems the most likely to be yucky.
I have used spray called Fight Bac after milking. I need to order more. I am using a teat dip right now. The spray is for sure more convenient for me.
Bridget is just so darn cute and small. I can't wait to see her in person some day. I am glad I live close enough for that to be possible at some point!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  7:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thats it Aunt Jenny! Fight Bac! It works great!

Also one thing we would do with maiden mares at the ranch is to handle the udder and teats a bit every day to get the mares used to the sensation. Perhaps it would work with cows?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  06:43:50 AM  Show Profile
I did that with Mona and I think it helped alot. Everyone told me to expect a regular rodeo the first time I milked her and it wasnt' the case at all..she just stomped once or twice, never kicked or got wild. BUT I had handled her udder, and rubbed and curried her all over for months before that as often as I could, and had got her used to coming to the little milk barn into the stanchion for grain and treats. Made a huge difference.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  6:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi all, i am connie and live north of fairbanks alaska. i havent introduced myself yeet but am gonna jump right in. right now we have an angus heifer and a half angus steer. i am getting a dexter cow in the next couple of weeks, as soon as we have a place set up to milk her. she has been nursing a baby for over a year now. we are not sure if she is bred back since the guy just lets nature take it course lol. one of you was asking about what to wash and dip the teats with and we will be using what i used on my goat years ago. a of drop of dawn original blue formula dish soap mixed with 2 T clorox (only clorox original not scented and not cheap bleach) to one quart of warm water. this works great for cleaning the udder and teats as well as dipping the teats after milking. i got that recipe from a dairy farmer in michigan. becuase of where we live and that fact that in a few years we will be moving to a homestead that is 150 airmiles from the nearest store this seems to be the best thing for us. i am looking forward to learning and sharing alot here! peace connie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Learning to hand milk a Dexter cow - any hints? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page