Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Learning to hand milk a Dexter cow - any hints?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Learning to hand milk a Dexter cow - any hints? Next Topic
Page: of 2

thegoatlady84
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Robyn
Breton Alberta
Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  07:06:18 AM  Show Profile
HI there I am in Alberta Canada, I breed Jersey cows, I bred my two heifers to a dexter this year! As fro milking if the cow REALLY fights you can tie a thin rope right in front of the udder, tie it as tight as you can, I have had to do this a few time and it really work great! I also hobble with a soft cotton rope. My girls are all very quiet now, but when I got Star she wanted to kick every part of me! I built my own stanchen, I would add a photo but I don't know how!!

Rock'n M Dairy stock
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  10:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Connie..be sure to check out this website if you havn't already... www.keepingafamilycow.com they have a great forum and it is my favorite cow book for info about family milk cows.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  12:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi robin and jenny. thank you for your replys and ideas. i hope hubby gets a place built for her soon so i can bring her home and have some real milk! she had been handled alot for the first 8-10 months of her life so hopefully she will remember that this is a good thing lol. right now she is in a pasture with angus and she wont even go to the food until they are done *sigh* if that is problem here with the steer and heifer we already have then we will put her in a seperate fence. that might make it easier to get her in for milking time too *grin* i will go look at the recomended web site right now! peace connie in alaska [size=4][navy]
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  01:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
jenny that web site was awesome! i was up until 4 am reading the posts on it! lol. thanks for sharing it with me!
i brought hoem 43 3 day old chicks today (40 rhode island reds and 3 balck cornish ? ) they are os cute! gonna be a logn wait for eggs tho lol.
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Hannah
Rexburg ID
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  3:33:40 PM  Show Profile
I am so happy to see this thread. I have been wanting a dexter for quite a while and I am happy to know there are people here I can ask about them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Learning to hand milk a Dexter cow - any hints? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page