Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Stashaholics Anonymous
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Stashaholics Anonymous Next Topic
Page: of 16

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  02:29:30 AM  Show Profile
Jami girl you are 2 funny! Way to go, Monica!

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  08:18:48 AM  Show Profile
Judith, Isn't that the way it goes! Congrats on the win!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  08:48:15 AM  Show Profile
Wow! there's a lot of us "stashaholics" here that are working on downsizing! I feel a little better that I'm not alone :) At the beginning of this year I decided that I was not going to buy anymore fabric this year, only use up what I have. I've done pretty good ~ only slipped up a few times. And had to buy fabric for orders, but that doesn't count - does it? I've been cleaning out my sewing room and right now I have sewing/quilting books for sale. www.auntdaisyscottage.blogspot.com
Ann, thanks for the tip on shophandmade.com Going to check that out.

Cathy (okiequilter)

www.AuntDaisysCottage.blogspot.com
www.CathysPincushions.etsy.com
www.AuntDaisysCottage.etsy.com
A friend loves at all times.
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  12:13:15 PM  Show Profile
Cathy, if you were buying to finish a project or a project that was ordered (meaning you used what you bought) that's not only ok, it's fantastic! It's not that we can't buy, but that we need to use up what we have. If that means we need another fat quarter or 2 to finish up a quilt top, or some buttons for a garment, or some yarn to finish a knitting UFO, that's cool too, because you are using up what you have.

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  12:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Would anyone be interested in some stashbuster challenges? I'd be happy to host, but they'd have to be after the first of the year. Hey, that would be a great New Year's Resolution! I've seen/heard of some really cool challenges in my different crafty circles, and thought they'd be fun here, like a paint chip challenge, a knock-off challenge, and more. I could post them on the main Stitching and Crafting list to get all our farm girl sisters in on the fun, too. Let me know...

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2245 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2245 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  1:00:42 PM  Show Profile
What is a challenge? I saw the term challenge quilt on a couple at the quilt show. I've always been a solitary quilter (not by choice) so I've no idea what that is. I'm planning a couple of scrappy quilts, probably bento box pattern as it will go fast and use up some of the stash fast, but I'm determined not to start one until I finish the sampler quilt I started for one of the grandsons. Way back when I was in school I always used to get a checkmark in the needs improvement column of my report card for "completing work begun". Things haven't changed.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  5:47:02 PM  Show Profile
You sound like me - too many daydreams, not enough time!

As for your question, a challenge is a project that you can choose to participate in or not. It has set guidelines and a time limit (which is good for folks like you and me!) For example, I have seen a quilt challenge called a paintchip challenge. The "leader/hostess/decisionmaker" chooses a paint chip at the hardware store containing at least 3 shade of a given color. You can make any quilt you like as long as it's so many inches by so many inches and uses the colors on the paint chip. Keepsake quilting did one about a year ago that was "black and white and red all over". I don't remember the dimensions of the quilt, but the only colors that could be on the quilt were black, white and red. For those who don't quilt, we could open it up to afghans (knitted or crocheted or both) that were similar sizes. None of the completed projects were any bigger than a lap quilt (like 30-is by 48-ish if I remember correctly). Also, my sister has done one on her scrapbooking site where she had to make a card or 12x12 layout using the packaging of a product for inspiration. The winning design was really cute, although I can't remember the product. We could all agree to deadlines before we begin our challenges. I thought this would be a fun way to challenge us to use up that stash. If anyone has any other ideas, let's hear them! You are all so creative, we should be able to come up with a bunch!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  5:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Just to whet your whistle...
IMG]http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp294/soapmommy60543/HPIM3456.jpg[/IMG]

Here's what I've cleaned out of my stash so far... I've got some odds and ends left over from a couple quilts that I'm putting into little kits (need to sort and document the pieces) that would be great if someone is looking for a miniquilt or small table topper project. I also have enough yarn that I pulled out to circle the equator at least 3 times. The large Michael's bag in the front is all fun fur/eyelash type yarns. I have a few more things I'm going to pull overnight tonight (DH is in Germany, and I don't sleep much while he's gone - so I put the extra awake hours to good use!), like some plastic pony beads, wooden beads, feathers, and some other odds and ends. Who knows what I'll find...

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  5:54:40 PM  Show Profile

Ok let's try that again...

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  04:17:29 AM  Show Profile
WANTED: Large paper punch - flower design. Willing to barter. Any paper crafters destashing and rehoming?
Thanks! Ann

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2245 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2245 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  1:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank yu Ann -- now I know what a challenge quilt is. Sounds like fun.
I've found I can't finish the quilting on the sampler quilt as I don't have the room to do it right now. DH started working on my sewing room several months ago so lots of my stuff is in boxes in the garage during the construction and the rest is in our small living room -- just no room to work on a full-size quilt. So with completing work begun on my mind I found the parts to the bug jar quilt I started for a grandson a couple of years ago and decided to finish it (sometime before he goes to college :-). I won't even have to buy anything to finish it except maybe backing, and I probably have something for that in one of my many boxes in the garage. Life will be simpler and more fun when this sewing room project is done but hunting and fishing keep interrupting.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  2:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Just posted a bunch of craft and quilting magazines on Farmgirl Barter - check them out!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  3:25:34 PM  Show Profile
Ann, Okay so maybe it's not such a good idea to post pics on this thread because I am sitting here eying the bolt of fabric!!!

I am so backed up on projects right now I doubt I will have time to sort anything out for a while, but I keep it in mind while I am looking for stuff when I am working on something!

My latest supply to stash right now is cotton fiber which I will be spinning and selling! I think I am up to 50 grocery bags so far!! The one thing wilth the cotton though is that right now I can get it for free from the fields down from where I live and the are done harvesting it and Ihave permission to go through the fields and get what I can so I will have to make room for the cotton! I can't pass this up considering it runs at least 20.00 a pound to buy and I have people waiting to buy some already!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  4:41:25 PM  Show Profile
If you are stashing to sell, that is great! Did you know there's a special word for your cotton harvesting - gleaning. You can read about it in the book of Ruth in the Bible. Also, I'm so glad to see someone able to do cotton yarn. I just can't do wool (makes me sneezy and itchy). I would love to put my smaller and smaller craft stipend to use by stimulating the REAL economy and REAL small businesses and especially my friends!

As for the bolt of fabric... I hate to let it go, but it needs to. It has a forever home somewhere else. It is 10-12 yards of cotton gingham homespun, medium blue and white checks. I bought it a year ago to use for my 1830's dress (I should post a photo), but when the date changed for the event I needed the dress for, I decided it would look to springy for a March in the Midwest event. So, I went with the same material in red/ivory check (I have plenty of scrap of that leftover, too, if someone wants it). It is very beautiful and soft. But it is homespun, which sometimes can have a mind of its own. It would be lovely for the backing and binding on a baby boy's quilt (or 2 or 3 depending on the size of the quilt). It would make beautiful aprons, or little girl dresses, or even a simple but elegant table cloth. It just can't live here anymore.

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  6:14:13 PM  Show Profile
Ann, It could come live at my house! I have 2 girls and I make a lot of their clothes and I am also working on sending clothes to Far Reaching Ministries which works in the Sudan and it's one the first group I have found which could actually use handmade clothes and such from and individual!

I know exactly what you are talking about with gleaning! It also says in Proverbs 31 about how she takes up her spindle and distaff!!! Pretty cool for a spinner!
Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  7:09:39 PM  Show Profile
Ann,
Did you mention having wooden beads? I would love to have them if you are getting rid of any. I can barter my cotton threads if you have something more than red that you would like.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  7:24:00 PM  Show Profile
Denise, it's a deal! I'll put them in with your magazines. Whatever colors you feel like sending in addition to the red - I'll let you decide.

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  7:54:26 PM  Show Profile
Denise, these wood beads are three shades - light, medium and dark wood finish, tube shaped, and about 3/8" long and about a little over 1/8" in diameter. They are very pretty. My cub scout guys used them to make neckerchief slides that looked like Sioux headdresses. I only have 6 cub scout guys. The package contained way more than we needed. I'm so glad to re-home them.

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  6:52:41 PM  Show Profile
Ok Ann,
I'd love to have them so just add them in with the mags and other stuff. I'm getting your things together to send to you.

thanks

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  8:14:03 PM  Show Profile
YAY - too fun!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  02:56:58 AM  Show Profile
STEADY GIRL!!!
Ok, so not fair. I think I am being really good, right. Haven't bought anything this week. Bartering away all my excesses. You know, destashing and rehoming like the crazy person I am.

We-e-e-e-elll... Got the new Michael's ad in my inbox this fine Sunday morning. They are having one of their 2 semi-annual BIG yarn sales. oooohhhh! Ouch it hurts! So tempting. Bernat 4-ply worsted weight - only $2/skein. Are you kidding me?! Since I am not in the middle of a project, I don't need anything to finish it. Boo-hoo-hoo. "Help me remember that I may not have enough yarn to circle the equator twice"

And I must confess that yesterday I bought a paper punch. I did need it for finishing a paper project. I was very careful, shopped around, and bought it used on ebay. It is also something I hope to continue to need in the future. I also stocked up on adhesives for scrapbooking (found them on sale with huge discount!) because I can't make my pretty paper stuff if the paper pieces won't stick together. So even though I stocked up, it's stuff I use regularly. It will come out of the drawer LOL!

Have a blessed Sunday, friends!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  05:29:30 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about micheals Ann. I ran over yesterday to pipck up some lobster claw clasps and they have 2 huge new lines of beads and componets out. World and tribal stuff. I had to walk by it all. It was bit pricey though --so that helped alot :P Ann --love the fleece. I got fleece pillowcases made this morning . Now gotta leave for work

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/ and my barter blog is at www.bartertribalwitch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  05:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Did you know that they put probably all of those same beads on sale today? Check out their weekly ad. Ah the hearbreak!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  06:14:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh no! Not a Michael's coupon! I Must Stay Strong! LOL

Yesterday I went on a semi annual girl's out day, where we had lunch and shopped in the historic district. We hit every shop down there...and there's a big yarn shop there too(gulp!) I'm proud to say that I only purchased some mocha mint coffee and some soup base. I didn't buy a single thing at the yarn shop, nor did I buy any 'dust me' (knick knacks).

Every time I was tempted to buy something, this little voice in my head kept saying "what would the stashaholics think!" Hey it worked!

Ann-I'm so proud of you destashing all those items this week!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  06:45:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm proud of you, too, for being so strong in that yarn shop! I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who listens to "the voices" (dramatic and scary ooooooooohhh) :)

Lisa - way to go with avoiding the beads and the fleece pillowcases! I'm so glad you (and Choosa) are getting good use out of it.

As for the destashing, it feels so good to see stuff go. I thought it would be harder, but I know that rehoming it is the best solution for me and whoever gets it in the end. I'd love to see photos of what everybody makes with it!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Stashaholics Anonymous Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page