Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Stashaholics Anonymous
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Stashaholics Anonymous Next Topic
Page: of 16

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  10:32:05 AM  Show Profile
Yes, you know who you are...

I'm Ann and I'm a stashaholic. I've been a serious crafter all of my adult life, and I have the stuff to prove it! In order to be more "fiscally responsible" this year with the economy the way it is, I took a serious look at my stash, and boy oh boy did the dollar signs start spinning in my head. Between that, and the memory of cleaning out all the craft supplies my mom left behind when she died, I made a vow that I need to "use it up, make it do or do without." The time had come for a craft-fast...

So here are the twelve steps for the stashaholic (thank you, Diana!):
Step 1 - We admitted we were powerless over our addiction - that our craft stash had become unmanageable.

Step 2 - We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our will and our craft stash over to the care of E-Bay,Etsy,Friends/Relatives, or Charity.

Step 4 - Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our craft stash.

Step 5 - Admitted to ourselves and to our fellow craft stashers the exact nature of our wrongs.

Step 6 - Were entirely ready to remove all unused or surplus craft stash items.

Step 7 - Humbly asked fellow craft stashers to help us remove our excess craft stash.

Step 8 - Made a list of all our craft stash, and became willing to make them all smaller.

Step 9 - Made direct amends to the space we create by reducing our craft stash by not letting it overflow again.

Step 10 - Continue to take personal inventory of our craft stash and if we are tempted to buy more crafts,promptly admit it to another craft stasher so they can help us realize we don't need it.

Step 11 - Seek through conscious contact with fellow craft stashers, the knowledge of our will for each other and the power to carry our craft destashing out.

Step 12 - Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other craft stash addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

And here is our prayer:
The Stashaholics Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I already own;
courage to use them in new and exciting ways;
and wisdom to know that building an addition on the house
for more craft supplies will not be the ultimate answer to the problem.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting that I may not have that fabric
in every color,
or enough yarn to circle the equator twice,
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Here are some guidelines, and remember they are guidelines. Last time I checked I don't think Thomas Jefferson and friends wrote anything about craft purchases in the Constitution LOL! Besides, one person bartering stuff they won't use from their stash to get stuff into their stash that they will use is a good thing!

No new purchases/barters/freecycles of any craft supplies EXCEPT:
1)new needles for sewing machines, parts for spinning wheels, correct hook/needle size for pattern (although borrowing from a sister/neighbor would be highly encouraged), batting to finish a quilting project, new blades for rotary cutters, adhesives for scrapbooking/papercrafting, etc. You have to be able to have your equipment in good working order to do your craft, right?
2)more thread/yarn/fleece/fabric/paper to finish a UFO project
3)more thread/yarn/fleece/fabric/paper to start a new project (try to use what you have in your stash as a starting point)
4)more thread/yarn/fabric/paper to start a new project for charity. 5) more thread/yarn/fabric/paper, etc. for a gift.
6) craft supplies purchased by someone else for you to make something for them (gift, barter, etc.)
7) more thread/yarn/fabric/paper to start a new project when you finally run out of stash to use! When you get to that point, give a shout and a cheer, and do a happy dance!

For frugality's sake, bartering and freecycling are highly encouraged but only to finish a project (perhaps you could barter a finished project in exchange for some of the supplies?), make an item for charity, or to start a new project when you run out of stash to use - no stash building. SWAP participation is also encouraged for elimination purposes, but again no stash building. Also, if you need a certain type of supply, a post here (to help the rest of us clear our stashes) would be most welcome.

And then there's the issue of patterns... Well, I guess it would be ok if you bought a book of patterns to use up your stash, but we all need to agree that you'd use more than a few of the patterns in the book and buy it on sale/with a coupon or barter/freecycle. Does that seem fair? There are so many free patterns online now. Besides, if you develop the "courage to use your materials in new and exciting ways", you need the new and exciting ways, right?!

Now, another great Diana idea was to give out chips for 30, 60 and 90 days. If you can make it to one of those milestones, email me your address and I will send you a special chip.

Everybody ready? FAST ON!!!!

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Edited by - soapmommy60543 on Jan 22 2009 07:00:03 AM

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  10:36:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm Diana and I'm a Stashaholic!

Ann, in addition to chips being given at 30,60,90 days, special ones are given for 1 yr, 2 yrs, etc.

Remember ladies, it's One Day At A Time!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  10:42:33 AM  Show Profile
Sounds great (Diana is so clever, isn't she?!)- anyone think they can make it that long? Let's go for it! What a cool challenge!

I've been working on Step 4 today in my papercrafting stash. Just sorting stuff to see what's there is not only eye opening, but inspiring me to find those new and exciting ways to use it all up.

Hope everyone has a stash-tastic day (sorry, couldn't help myself!)

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  10:48:12 AM  Show Profile
Also, pinkroses just posted a question about where everyone buys their craft supplies. I asked her what types of craft supplies she was looking for because maybe we can all help her out. Let's check her reply!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  11:00:56 AM  Show Profile
I have clensed myself of 5 large bags of cloth mostly dress goods in the last year. When I start a new project I finish it and do not allow my self to get another one going then I give the scraps to the local Quilt chapter. They make quilts for people in tough times. I have noticed that my sewing room is looking very happy now. And very inviting it seems that the more I had the more I felt I had to do some thing with it. So I just passed it along to the Quilt guild and a small thrift store in my town and some friends and feel lots better. I worked for 3 years in a fabric store so I hadn't spent much money but the large amount was overwhelming. I now date everyting that goes in my sewing room. And each month I look at what is there if I haven't done something with it in 6 months it is also donated. Girl Scout troops are always after craft supplies and such and so are After school care centers. I also took a box to our local head start. I always call to see if they are interested but they always seem to be. I have found more time to do the thing I really like to do because of less clutter.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  11:15:22 AM  Show Profile
Gramadinah - you are an inspiration! What great ideas!

Ann in Oswego

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  5:35:22 PM  Show Profile
Diana, great ideas for keeping it uncluttered and clean. I'm afraid I visit a store and get ideas and oh, my how the stash grows!

I too am a stashaholic but I am not ready to go on the wagon just yet. It's one of the great joys in my life to create(until I get grandkids) ...then I might consider "coming clean."

But I love that I have cohorts in our "holic" behavior...you at least all understand me! I am trying to use it up and make do but these new patterns just keep popping up in my pattern drawer!! I think they are reproducing themselves or morphing anyhow. They are all different!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  04:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Jami - we love and accept you for who you are. We'll all be here now and when you're ready to go on the wagon. It's a hard choice (believe me!). I love the fact that you bought that One Skein Wonders book - that's a great step in the right direction! Every step will lead to the final destination, even if you never craft-fast.

My deciding moment came when, for the millionth time, I told DH I was overbudget (again). When I sat down with my receipts for the month, I realized just how much of my budget was going toward craft supplies. Receipt after receipt for Michael's, Joann's, our local quilt shop, eBay and more. Brian never EVER checks my receipts, but for some reason this time he did, and he asked "Just how much did you spend on that s@#*?!" Ouch - the truth always hurts. Now multiply that number by 12. Even more painful. That was definitely a Step 5 moment. I thought about all the times I told my kids I didn't have the money for something, but had bought myself something crafty. My children have very large, sad brown eyes (check out the picture of DS in Garden Gate section) and it takes nerves of steel to look into them and say "No money honey". I just want to be a better example for them, and leave them an empty craft room (or as close as possible) when I die.

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  07:41:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ann. I guess it's all a matter of perspective...maybe I'm not at the level of stashing that I think I am--I'm not breaking my little piggy bank yet and I do love to use what I have on-hand, but my weakness is patterns and books! It doesn't help that I have a flock of 40 ewes that I have wool from and have yarns and rovings stashed everywhere to dye and use up and sell too, of course.

But the truth be told, I'll probably never get all of my projects finished at the rate I'm stashing versus creating, so...once my paying job has quieted down (big project underway) I will reevaluate my time versus materials and see where I sit.

Hugs and happy crafting today girls--using it up anyhow!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  10:56:09 AM  Show Profile
You will all be very proud of me! I went to the fabric store to get a piece I needed for and order and that is all I bought! I know that a lot of this is meant in fun, but I think that there is also a bit of a serious side to it also! I have so much fabric that a lot of times I have to dig forever to find the piece in need!

Gramadinah, you are an inspiration, because it's easy to end up collecting so much that you really don't even know what you have!

I got most of my fabric when the local Walmart was closing the fabric department! I did get certain fabrics that I knew I could use and I could not pass up getting 800.00 worth for 200.00 especially with three kids and the way they outgrow stuff!

I do think it's a great idea to use up at least a good chunk of what we have before buying more!

Ann, as you said it's easy to spend and not realize how much you are spending! After I started spinning I had bought some wool and even though I didn't spend that much, my hubby was very upset and that was no fun at all! It took me forever to explain to him that some of the pay pal items were things I had ordered for him and it wasn't all mine! I still had spent about 75.00 and he still wasn't happy with that!

I think sometimes the way to look at it is, to go "shopping" through your own stash!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  11:19:26 AM  Show Profile
Monica, thanks for the great perspective! And I am proud of you for only getting what you need, too!

Jami, you had your Step 1 realization moment - so proud of you, too! Maybe you don't need a stash-craft-fast, maybe it's a pattern fast... Hmmmm... No new patterns until you make something out of each book you already own (and I'm still jealous of that One Skein Wonders)? I may have to do that myself. Wow, you inspired a really neat idea!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  11:47:59 AM  Show Profile
Bartered My Way toward Freedom

Today, shipped 2 boxes of stuff from my craft room to someone else's in 2 different barters. It felt so good to see it go. "Thank God it's gone! Two less storage bins-full" I have other items I'll be posting this week/over the weekend. Hopefully, it can also be successfully rehomed. Maybe we can pick a day (like the first Monday of the month, etc.) where we can list what we want to de-stash and rehome, or if someone is looking for a specific item. Like a Wanted/Offered kind of thing. Neighbors helping neighbors, farm girls helping farm girls. Joe the Plumber helping... well, you get the idea.

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  12:01:55 PM  Show Profile
I went to Hancock Fabrics and Joanne's today, but all I got was fleece material that was on sale for 50% off so I can make blankets for my grandsweeties for Christmas.

Ann-I'm all for us posting wanted/offered things here for our stashaholics, so long as we all try to make sure that for every thing we take in, we get rid of more :)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  12:12:05 PM  Show Profile
YAY - you only bought what you needed! Maybe I should make a button for that, too... :)

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  12:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Wow Ann - you mean business! Where have you posted your barters, in this section or the barter topic? I have some rubber stamps that need to go...just curious where to post them.

Thanks.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  12:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Okay Stashaholics, I started a topic here as a place to do our bartering :)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  1:38:39 PM  Show Profile
Diana - you read my mind, and that is very scary!

I'm going through stuff the next few days and hopefully will have a huge list and photos by this weekend. The carpet cleaning guys are coming on Monday, so I've got to get my bedroom closet in order first, then it's on to the craft room! So far, I've got a bolt (yes, 10-12 yds of blue and white gingham homespun), lots of bits and pieces left over from quilts that maybe someone can either turn into a scrapquilt or some yoyos or something, and some yarn. I'll post the list here, the stashaholics bin and also in the barter room. I just feel so claustrophobic that I can't think straight - must be something to all that Feng Shui stuff after all. When my home is clean and uncluttered, I can then focus better and spend my time more wisely, like finishing up those last darn 4 classes at Clayton!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  3:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hello, my nameis connie and i am a stashaholic. my stashes include beads and beading supplies, yarns, roving, patterns for above (mostly free ones! *grin!*)and fabrics (mostly used items to be reused for something else) does it count when stashing for future without cash flow? i am hoarding supplies for when hubby retires and we live mostly on what we already have or can make. i did use a small portion of my stash for a scarf that i knit while on the plane to michigan. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  3:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
diana, i used to have a little desk top saying that said "a clean desk is the sign of a sick mind" i do hope that isnt true for a clean crafting area! lol. you are just too organized girlfriend! i wish i were half so organzied since whenever i need anything i spend half the day looking for what i know i have and often end up rebuying! now that is seriously wrong!
peace connie in alaks
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  6:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Connie - glad to see you're back, my friend. If you are stashing for tough times, I think that's different than those of us that just stash for the sake of stashing. You'll be unstashing soon enough.

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2245 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2245 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  6:17:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm a stashaholic, too. I stashed fabric for retirement, thinking the fifteen or so boxes of fabric I already had might not be enough.... I have a vintage and antique sewing machine collection and I stashed them, too. I need something to sew all that fabric with, right? So now I'm retired and thinking that I need to live to be 200 to use up all this fabric. So far I've done seven quilt tops and it hasn't made a dent in my stash. I try not to buy more fabric but what about winning it? I went to a quilt show last weekend and bought a dollars worth of raffle tickets. I considered it a donation to a good cause since I never win anything. I won, not one, not two, but three baskets of fabrics and other goodies.....

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  6:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
ann, thak you fo the welcome back. its good to be home!
judith, i wouldnt htink that winning would count against us as stashaholics! heck who wins things any ways right? lol 3 wins is unbelieveable! you must have just thought that you had enough and the universe had different ideas! lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  6:46:13 PM  Show Profile
Judith - can you buy me a lottery ticket? LOL!!!

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  6:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Found a way to rehome some of my stash that I can't let go for barter. Shophandmade.com has e-stores like Etsy does but without all the fees. When I put up my final list, I'll make a note of which ones are in my new "shop" and which ones are for barter.

Started cleaning out tonight, and the list will be huge. I am trying to keep like items together in groups, so quilters will have an easier time using up the fabrics or at least storing them with like colors or projects and yarnies will have an idea of how much is there to plan for future/UFO projects. I feel very motivated (hubby is in Germany til next week - this would be a great surprise for him when he comes home), and I hope to have a bunch of it moved out by Halloween (Hubby's return date). I'd like to start shipping next week, so I'll be photographing and documenting over the weekend (in between Cub Scout field trip and helping Sister with Niece's Halloween costume, oh and did I mention the two papers and a final exam I'm supposed to be working on for Clayton?).

Ann in Oswego

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  7:30:50 PM  Show Profile
So far this is going very well! On top of only buying the fabric I needed for an order, I gave away 5 yards of fabric to my sister-in-law!
Gee now I only have 995 yards to use up

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  8:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a song I know Monica....995 fabrics of yard in the stash, 995 yards of stash...sew one up without a hiccup...994 yards of fabric in the stash...

You all know the tune, now sing along as you destash!

Hugs. Getting off of here tonight. Long day.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Stashaholics Anonymous Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page