Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  03:49:23 AM  Show Profile
So does anyone else out there enjoy something other than eggs and toast for breakfast?

A few days ago I made a chicken caserole and thoroughly enjoyed it for breakfast! On a good day I can sometimes tolerate pizza, spaghetti and when it gets colder especially chili!

When you work hard all morning you NEED something that will stick to your rips and not fail before 9:30 in the morning.

That caserole kept me going until nealry 12:30

And sadly, I am very alergic to eggs. So even though the smell of scrambled eggs or an awesome quiche appeals, it;s 5 minutes after and an entire day's worth of pain I don't care to suffer through.

I can eat cooked items like cookies and cakes and such, but the other just kills me!

Kind of ironic for someone who sells 'em to everybody else!

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  05:08:20 AM  Show Profile
I love bacon and eggs but more for lunch or later. Greasy stuff first thing in the morning turns my stomach (yech!) Cold pizza is great but, again it has to be a bit later. I can handle toast, cold cereal or oatmeal first thing and I'm afraid that's about it. Most of the time I don't eat breakfast until I've been up for 3 or 4 hours. Even orange juice seems too rich first thing in the morning. Chicken casserole, spaghetti or chili would never appeal to me for that reason. You must have an iron stomach!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  05:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
my mom used to fix a thermos of chicken noodle soup for me to take for lunch and she would always give me the leftovers for breakfast before catching the school bus... thats certainly non-traditional, but was always so yummy!
sometimes i'll eat leftover rice for breakfast... doesn't seem terribly non-traditional when you think about grits or cream of wheat.. seems similar to me. i like rice or grits with some kind of buttery substitute and salt & pepper.
mostly i'll have a smoothie or some greek yogurt with fruit & granola. YUM!
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  05:39:52 AM  Show Profile
I usually have oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, but the other morning I cooked up a pork chop and had that. I was too lazy and tired the night before to eat anything. I have no problem eating reheated pizza or any leftover dinner fare in the mornings. I've also had breakfast food for dinner!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Oct 21 2008 05:43:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  06:42:51 AM  Show Profile
I like the normal breakfast foods (cereal, oatmeal, toast, eggs, grits), but I also love cold pizza for breakfast.

And pie is great. A big slice of apple pie would go well this time of year. I imagine a chicken pot pie would probably be good, too, if you like to have protein first thing in the morning.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  06:46:31 AM  Show Profile
I only have coffee with cream and sugar every morning. I don't eat anything until 10-11-12. Then it is lunch, which is sometimes eggs and the works. I have to fix lunch for Ole Ron, who had a real breakfast at 7:00 so he don't want breakfast again at noon. What I really like is big breakfast for supper. But that won't work either. I think the weight loss folks are saying to eat your big meal for breakfast, smaller for lunch and smaller again for supper.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  08:03:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like to eat the previous evening's meal for breakfast :D I love spaghetti or pizza...This morning it is meatloaf!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  08:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes I tire of breakfast type foods in the morning. My favorite is a BLT sometimes with avocado sometimes without. On a cold morning I'll sometimes eat last nights cassarole too. I think anything goes as long as you eat in the morning.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  09:03:41 AM  Show Profile
I like Miso for brekkie sometimes...now I need to find non-GMO soy miso.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  11:30:27 AM  Show Profile
I absolutely love tuna salad with crackers for breakfast. And yes, I've been known to eat leftover rice too. I've even eatten a chef's salad for breakfast. But usually it's eggs and toast for me.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

Edited by - acairnsmom on Oct 21 2008 4:26:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  12:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annika- have you checked at the Co-Op? I am pretty sure that they have some there, and MJ has a food with Miso in it so perhaps you could bulk order some of that too?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  1:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I don't eat breakfast very often. But cold pizza...yum! who could resist cold pizza? :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2247 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2247 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  4:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Cold pizza is my favorite, followed by leftover spaghetti, waffles, french toast, and biscuits and gravy.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  7:21:23 PM  Show Profile
Scones is a huge favorite here, my husband craves them. I like oatmeal and other hot cereals, but fiber is a requirement, so it is usually a high fiber cereal.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  02:19:13 AM  Show Profile
I am working on the eating breakfast, haven't done well with that at all most of my life, finding that now I really need to do it. Yep, eat leftovers, cereal, eggs, whatever it is, as long as I am eating breakfast!!!!!

Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  03:42:06 AM  Show Profile
Goat's milk yogurt and wheat-free granola during the warm months. Oatmeal or multi-grain (wheatless) hot cereal in the colder months. If I need more protein, I'll make "breakfast tacos": scrambled eggs wrapped in warm corn tortillas with salsa, and maybe leftover potatoes or chopped meat.

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dasparky
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter; Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275

Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  10:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I'm not much of a breakfast person...pizza would be my first choice! Since the chill has hit the air here and my "waist" is not looking like I want it to right now (uuhhhhggg!) I've been eating a hardboiled egg in the am...then I put on a big pot of soup and head out to do my chores! By the time I come in the soup is making the whole house smell yummy and I can eat a small bowlful here and there all day! Seems to help the hunger pangs!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  10:38:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Alee...I need to get a ride down to do a major shop at the co-op, we just haven't had enough hours in the day for the last couple of weeks =) I think we all go through that.

I'll eat breakfast food for dinner, but cold food from the night before would just not settle well.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  3:03:54 PM  Show Profile
like amie said, PIE! especially around thanksgiving. I have a variety of them around, but pumpkin is my favorite. cake is also good for breakfast.

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  3:18:45 PM  Show Profile
coffee, with half and half, wheat toast with peanut butter. yogurt and granola mixed in. but come the wekeend, eggs, bakkee (family name for bacon), hash browns, sausage and bisquits!

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  9:09:57 PM  Show Profile
I usually have multi-grain oatmeal with a tiny sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon and throw in some peaches. YUM!
Or I have a banana and a yougurt. It depends on how rushed or lazy I am.

I have usually been up for two or three hours before I eat. I tend to get an upset stomach if I eat when I first get up.

I LOVE breakfast for dinner!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  03:35:26 AM  Show Profile
When its getting cooler I can bake more too, so of couse, I may have a few choc. chip oatmeal cookies for my brekki.

Amazing just how long those hold one over.

Funny how many of us like the cold pizza thing too. One time I ate a regular salad and actualy felt FULL of energy fr most of the morning.

And at times, leftover pieces of steak are quick and hit the spot.

With us loosing more evening daylight, I have tried switching eating habits. The more in the mornings and way less in the evenings.

Makes for sleeping easier too when you don't have such a full tummy
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  05:33:26 AM  Show Profile
I have to be up for a while before I eat anything. But during the week I eat a bacon and cheese biscuit when I first get to work. On the weekends we usually do a Swedish type frukost which usually consists of: toast with cheese and orange marmalade, or a ham on toast with peppers and/or cucumbers on top; my husband will have a boiled egg, and we have hot tea and sometimes oranage juice. Sometimes my husband will eat Kalles Kaviar (if we've been to Jungle Jim's International Market or IKEA lately) on knackerbrod. But as I don't like it he gets that all to himself and I will have oatmeal or cereal with banana.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  2:49:01 PM  Show Profile
Ok, true confessions here. When I was in college, I had an hour commute one way to school twice a week. I would get up early and make Rice Krispie squares in a big deep dish pizza pan. They would cool while I was in the shower. I would eat the whole pan (yes, really the whole pan) along with a diet coke on my way to school. And yes, both Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Of course, this was well before I had children and turned 30. If I did that now, I can't imagine how much weight I'd gain! Now, I'm not much of a breakfast person. A mug of hot cocoa, or a glass of iced chai/iced latte is about it until 10-ish. I suppose if I was actively farming (instead of dream-farming), I'd need something more substantial and my body would acclimate accordingly. Have a good laugh and a great weekend!

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  2:55:01 PM  Show Profile
I vote for pie. Hot apple pie with cheddar cheese grated on top. Yum. Once this summer at cow camp everyone wanted an early start, the crack of dawn, so we had leftover sourdough chocolate cake with canned whipped cream. Pretty good, but they were all hungry by noon.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  03:26:34 AM  Show Profile
Elaine!

Beings I'm originally from Ohio, I think everyone needs to take road trip to Jungle Jim's. It is more than just food shopping for sure.

I used to work at Kings Island in the old animal section, so seeing those monorail cars brings back a few memories.

The closest things we have here in NC as far as being able to shop for ethnic is Trader Joe's and Southern Season's. Neither one offers a really cool tour around the world, but you can't beat some of the far out culinary foods and items under 1 roof.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic non traditional breakfasts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page