Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 New here, my Grandpa's Little 1947 Farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New here, my Grandpa's Little 1947 Farm Next Topic  

dsimas
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Dawn
Auburn CA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  11:04:13 AM  Show Profile
I am in Northern CA and am new to this forum. I found it in researching getting and caring for a milk cow. :)

I grew up on and am now renovating my Grandpa's Farm. I love it. I also work a job, and took on a second one at night, and am single, so it's a slow process as time allows. But I try to *make* time, it is my therapy!

Here's a little webpage I made up with lots of photos and descriptions. It is only 1.4 acres and you would be surprised what can be done on such a small parcel, it was set up perfectly post war. If only I was retired (I am 46) and could just be here working it full time... someday.

www.grandpas1947farm.shutterfly.com

Thanks for looking!

Dawn

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  11:17:22 AM  Show Profile
Welcome from Ga., Dawn. I saw your pictures. Great place. And so neat that it was your grandfather's.

So glad you found the forum. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1404 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1404 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  11:38:10 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Dawn. Thank you so much for sharing the photos of your farm. Your Grandpa should be proud to see his farm in such a state of new repair. You are doing a gorgeous job. Are you doing it by yourself or do you have help?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  11:43:43 AM  Show Profile
Welcome from Missouri, Dawn! I just loved your photos. How amazing that you are living on your grandpa's farm. I'm sure he's looking down from heaven and smiling with pride on how you lovingly restored the place.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  12:14:29 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Dawn! Thanks for the wonderful farm photos. What a great place to live! I'm sure you'll love it here too.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  12:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Dawn! What a lovely slice of heaven you have, and how special that it is a family home.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  12:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Dawn. I enjoyed looking at your blog. I felt like I was right there. Very nice and homey.
Linda

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Yes! I live in the Scranton, PA "The Office" TV show is based on! LOL LOL
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  1:23:39 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, welcome! Your place is a treasure! I ove the simplicity of it, and you are right, a farm is a farm, no matter the size! I hope you enjoy it here!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  2:46:48 PM  Show Profile
A big warm welcome to you Dawn!!!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  6:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Dawn. You got that farmgirl spirit. Good for you. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  6:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Welcome from the Pacific NW! Glad to have you here, and your farm is adorable!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  8:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Dawn! What a lovely place you have! I can tell that you treasure it by all that you have done to it and how you have helped maintain it! I'm jealous! Now don't work yourself to the ground before you retire to start enjoying it!
Laura Marie #369
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  03:09:10 AM  Show Profile
I just looked at your farm pictures. What a lovely place you have!!

Welcome to this site, hope you enjoy all the forums.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
And also some pictures of my village, come for a visit
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  09:07:07 AM  Show Profile
A big Southern welcome from one of the Louisiana farm girls. Love the farm, and what you're doing with it! Keep us posted on the progress.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

dsimas
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Dawn
Auburn CA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  09:19:28 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I enjoyed reading all your messages and blogspots. :)

Betty, yes, I'm doing it by myself. My hubby was killed in a car accident when I was only 28 years old, in 1990, and I never remarried, we never had children. I feel that God has a plan for everyone and for me it wasn't to be a wife/mother, but I've gone to do other things, mostly with animals. I am the founder/director of a conservation non-profit: www.wildaboutcats.org Joe would be proud, as he loved animals so much, we shared that. Now, later in life, I am focusing on this little farm. I only wish I would have when Grandpa was alive so I could see the glee on his face. As you said, he is looking down and proud and that inspires me. I *will* see him and Joe again. :)

I turned the woodshed into a cottage one year ago so that my Mom could move here. I took the cottage and gave her the house, I like cozy places. Mom had her issues with Grandpa (he and I were close) and therefore she and I have issues, I don't want to give up on our relationship and I hope that being her helps us. Need prayers on that please! :)

I will update you all as things develop, I know you all understand this countrystyle way of life.

TTFN,
Dawn
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1404 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1404 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  09:47:52 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, thank you so much for sharing your life with us. I've been single for, well it seems like forever. I have been married three times and each time I learned from my mistake. I'm sorry that you lost your husband so young. That had to be heartwrenching for you. My grandparents had a lovely farm in Nebraska, but after my mother died it was sold and has gone downhill. There are birds living in the little house they lived in and it is so sad. I wish I had the strength to purchase the farm back and use it for my own livelihood. I really don't care about the 320 acres that he farmed, but there is a grazing area plus the plot of ground the farmhouse and outbuildings sit on.

It is a long way from where I live and I could not live without my two sons.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  10:54:08 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful!!! I love your site and will definitely be adding it to my favorites. I want to watch the progress. Your place is amazing. What a dream come true! Do you have a blog about it too?

Handmade Soap and More! Try my new Lavender Oatmeal Facial Bar - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100

Edited by - therusticcottage on Oct 21 2008 11:11:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  8:17:58 PM  Show Profile
Dawn,
How wonderful that you are doing all that you are. You are an inspiration for us all.
Welcome to the forum,
Carol Sue

Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  8:23:53 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Dawn.. Your farm blog site is really nice.. I will be checking your site often. Welcome to the forum

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  4:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn, welcome to the group.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl, farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  06:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Dawn,
I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of your/your grandfather's farm. I'll definitely keep you and your mom in prayer-mother/daughter relationshiips can be tricky, I feel your pain on this one! So, welcome, welcome and I look forward to seeing your farm progress and to getting to know you better.
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  06:31:11 AM  Show Profile
Dawn,
In all my excitement to welcome you-duh! I forgot to sign my name! The above post is from Bonnie in Maryland-Farmgirl #333.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2008 :  09:04:11 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Dawn - my computer is too slow to let me look at your pictures but I can imagine. My grandpa built his and grandma's house in 1942 and they grew just about everything they needed till his death in 1988, right in the suburbs of Seattle. I have 3/4 of an acre and there is so much possible!!
Glad you are here
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  11:04:55 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Dawn. Your farm looks like home to me. I grew up on an acre in a small farming community. We had chickens, a big garden, raspberries, more yard than I wanted to mow, a pasture and a barn. I was given a heifer calf by my Aunt when I was 9 years old. She became a great cow. We had all the milk we needed, raised several calves a year, sold milk, and traded milk for piano lessons. We didn't have quite enough pasture. We would have if we had had less yard, but Mom wouldn't part with even a little bit, so I led the cow up and down the road and even got permission to graze the school yard across the road from our house. Your G-pa would be so proud of you, not only for keeping his place a farm, but also making a home for you and your mother. Bless you. That is a great picture of your family together. Welcome.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New here, my Grandpa's Little 1947 Farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page