dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  07:33:29 AM  Show Profile
I did a barter here in early Sept. I sent hand made items and also sent a check in exchange for an item that another farmgirl here had. I was promised that my item would be mailed several times, but that has been a month now, and the farmgirl has not responded to any of my emails since the 25th of Sept. At first I thought maybe her internet was down, or she no longer had access to email, etc, but her blog is still active and has postings that are current, including today.

So what should I do regarding this situation?

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  07:50:45 AM  Show Profile
Oooh...that's a difficult situation.

I don't think there's anything you can do, really. E-Bay and other sites like it offer arbitration services when a deal doesn't go right, but here it's so informal I think you're on your own. It's a sad situation, but this might be one of those times where "bad things happen to good people."
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  09:01:01 AM  Show Profile
I've been stiffed twice here on barters and just plain won't do them again!!! I've had less problems on e-bay sad to say.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  09:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Oh My! I'm thinking this is something that perhaps we shouldn't ignore here because this is a site based on Trust, Honor, Kindness and Sisterhood! You mentioned that the Farmgirls Blog is still active? Have you tried writing to her on her blog?

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  10:51:36 AM  Show Profile
It is so sad if this isn't addressed. It could ruin a good thing. Like Audrey said this is a site based on Trust, Honor, Kindness and Sisterhood. I wish I had an answer for you but I think it should be something you pursue. Has the check been cashed?
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  11:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't think the farm can do anything because unless it is a farm sponsored event, the barters and swaps are up to us. Have you contacted the swap "Mom" ie the one who started the swap? I know I can be slow in mailing items and have even had problems (on my side) with not putting enough postage on, or my husband saying he will drop things off and then forgetting. I know things happen, but I always try to let me swap partners know if something has gone a wry on my side. Has the check been cashed? Could you put a stop-payment on it?

One thing to consider doing is always sending money through Paypal. That way if you never get your item, you get your money back and Paypal deals with the one who didn't send the item.

I am so sorry that you are having an issue with this swap. You have the person's address, can you do a reverse look up on www.whitepages.com and give her a call? Perhaps there is some sort of crisis that she is embarrassed to mention?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  12:38:14 PM  Show Profile
I left a message on her blog, so hopefully I get a reply soon.

Alee, this wasn't a swap, it was a farmgirl's request to barter for a handknit item. I knit it up for her, sent it to her, and also sent her a check because I felt that the item I was bartering for (a vintage apron) was worth more than the handknit item I made. I was doing everything on my end to make sure that this was a fair and equitable barter. I am not one to ever cheat or shortchange another person. That's not how I do things. The check wasn't for a large amount, so it would cost more to stop payment on it than it's worth.

I guess the bottom line is that I held up my end of the deal, and even took the time to purchase the yarn and knit up the item especially for her in the color that she even had requested. What upsets me most is that she hasn't responded to any of my emails, none of which were angry or hateful. I just asked if she had sent out the item yet or if something came up that she wasn't able to send it out yet.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  2:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Diana- I see. That is disappointing, but perhaps you could leave her a message on her blog to email you please? Perhaps your email has accidentally been put in to her spam box?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  2:58:07 PM  Show Profile
There must be something someone can do....that does not say much for all the rest of us, if one of us is not honest....
Maybe she is just embaressed about the whole thing....if you could email her and tell her that you are not mad, just want your stuff, then maybe she wont be so embarressed, tell her that you want to be friends and you just want your barter items...

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  03:19:58 AM  Show Profile
That is sad indeed. I know I have been late sending swap items too. but I also know I will send them out anyways, or at least answer emails etc.
Things happen, money etc. But that is NO excuse to not reply or send the item that was bartered for.

Hope you will hear from her soon.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
And also some pictures of my village, come for a visit
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What to do? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page