Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed?? Next Topic  

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  12:28:36 AM  Show Profile
And I mean REALLY overwhelmed with all the stuff you have and can't seem to clean them away?
I have my diningroom full of stuff, gifts, papers, junk and craft material!
I KNOW I should start cleaning up the material, magazines etc. but I just can't seem to find the OOMPH to do that.
Every time I walk in here, my puter is here too (also with loads of paper) I see it all and think: "now I am going to sort through it all and throw away and clean" but I just don't because of lack of drive and maybe self-discipline?

Any advice you can give me to start getting of my behind and really DO something about it? I mean I also know if I don't do anything soon I will feel more depressed and just let it all be.

Sorry to be such a downer lately, I don't know how to get over this

Maybe this isn't the right place to post this, but didn't know of any other.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
And also some pictures of my village, come for a visit

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  12:46:43 AM  Show Profile
I think I know how you feel. I too have no motivation to put away my books, papers, craft stuff and etc. I know I have to and I want to but it really seem that I just don't know where to start or where to put the things I want to keep. It is mostly just my table where I seem to do every thing. I am working on it and I know you will get stuff done too, Dutchy. You are not alone. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  01:17:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi and yep, I understand Marian. My diningroom table is screaming at me because I have craft things cluttering it right now. Someday I want a craft room in my basement but for now when I work I need a clean place. I just need to make myself clean it up and put it away but it seems easier to leave it out cuz I might get the urge...LOL I did do something about papers at the puter last couple days though. I went through my filing cabinet, pulled out old bills and things I no longer need to keep and shredded them. The bag hubby took out of the house was huge! So at least I feel like I accomplished something. Start small, maybe make a list of 10 things you want to go through or put away. Cross them off as you go. Reward yourself when you're done. Come to Mary Janes to read and post....smile. Huggzz

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  03:21:22 AM  Show Profile
Glad to see I am not alone :)
And you know, it is NOT that I don't see it, I do see it. And I DO think to myself TODAY is the day you are at least going to start with looking through the stuff. But then I look at it and run out "screaming" and just sit on my chair and hug Elvis, smoke and do nothing all day :(

It is not only craft stuff and other things I want to keep. I am ashamed to admit there is also one or two coffee cups that needs to be washed and things like that, you know? I have enough to do, and just don't DO it.

Maybe it is because of what happened lately, and the depression and the loneliness that it all seems too overwhelming.
And I also realize that I sound like a whining kid but one way or the other it is something I just can't shake off me. :(
It is already a big step for me to even admit this. I never was one to admit things like this, have it in the open so to say. I always was one to just deal with it myself, just me.
I HAD to deal with it myself and was not "allowed" to admit things like this to others. Allowed is maybe a big word but that is how I have felt all those years: not allowed to open up my feelings other than "just be happy and a go-along kinda girl". And now that it is oke to admit that I need help, that I just can't do it all by myself, it is a huge step.
Even if this is in a way because y'all don't "know" me.

my new BLOG.

Edited by - dutchy on Oct 19 2008 03:25:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  04:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Marian, don't beat yourself up over this and don't try to be super-woman. I recognize those personality traits only too well and you know, God did not want us to do it by ourselves but we still want to anyway.I am feeling overwhelmed by some things too and it was really getting to me last night. When I read my bible devotional for the day it basically said to not look at the "mountain" whatever that may be (cleaning, money, family etc) but just to look at the first step in front of you. That way it is not so overwhelming.
I had not cleaned house and picked up my craft mess in a couple of weeks but had cleared my day yesterday to do just that. I started in one room and completely finished that one until I went to the next. When the 'mountain' would pop into my head. I just focused on the steps right in front of me. The clutter was really getting to me and I just kept adding to the pile, but it feels so much better now.
I don't know what your 'particulars' are, but I sense that some counseling might be a good idea. Sometimes it helps, and you sound like you may have a touch of depression.
Please take care of your self Marian and remember...
"one step at a time"
Hugs.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  06:24:13 AM  Show Profile
flylady.net

I know exactly how it is. Try the above website, she helps a lot!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  06:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Marian- I was in your same position 2 years ago and it has taken me that long to get to where I can finally breathe. I am just now having the final yard sale next weekend to get rid of that last of the "stuff" that has been driving me nuts and holding me back.

I started simply by doing one thing a weekend. At first, it didn't seem like I was getting anywhere, but I realized one day that I woke up on Monday morning and could find my clothes and shoes, I was making progress. I had hubby take Charlie for 3-4 hours on a Saturday out of the house. I would clean, purge and organize like a madwoman, working a room or section of a room at a time. I started in the smaller areas, since progres was seen more quickly. I kept a big box by the door for donate/sell, a trash bag and then a laundry basket for keep/go somewhere else. It will look worse before it gets better, TRUST ME!!!

I, too, was suffering from depression and the clutter and mess didn't help at all. Hubby let me do whatever I wanted with the stipulation that we must just have beds to sleep in, food to eat,clothing, tv, couch, bikes and toys...the rest could go. And that is EXACTLY what I did. I realized I like living very sparsely and simple. I do not like decor or "things", I am not much of a crafter, preferring to work a cross stitch for my crafty work. I dislike housework and no matter how I try, hubby only puts in minimal effort. So I got rid of all of the stuff that was driving me crazy. It may look like we are broke college students in here (and technically, we are) but I am much happier.

I hope you can just take it a step at a time.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  07:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Dutchy, I have been there and kinda still am. I also help a lady form time to time that had let her clutter problem really get the better of her. The clutter can cause terrible havoc on your nerves and health.

First step, take a deep breath and let it out. Don't look at the whole situation/mess! This will only send you into panic. Try your best to ignore the whole picture, just concentrate on a small part.

I like to start in one room, like Angie, and work till it's all done. The lady I mentioned above. Her home was so cluttered, she only had a small walk path through each room. The clutter left her feeling overwhelmed and depressed and then started affecting her health. I started by helping her clean out the garage so she could move stuff from the house and have a yardsale. It took us all day to get the garage done, but Wow how it lifted her spirits when she saw what we had accomplished that day. After that she elected the help of a friend and they started to tackle her basement.

Do you have a friend that would be willing to help you? I understand we don't always like to ask for help, actually I'm probably one of the worst people about asking for help. Sometimes I think I'd rather eat nails than ask for help. It's a process but I'm overcoming that. :) If you can get a friend to help you with one room, that would be such an awesome start. You don't have to rush through it, to see how fast you get it done. And when your done take time to look at everything you did. You will be amazed at how much better you feel and that feeling will help you tackle the next room.

Hugs~Melanie

http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  08:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, my friend A. has offered me to help! She told me just yesterday, if I needed help, to ask her and we would do just like you said. One room at a time! And it is not as if my whole house is cluttered, it is "just " my bedroom, diningroom and laundryroom. The kitchen is clean and lovely, the livingroom as well.

See I do know I need help, and I might just ask her if she is really willing to set a day and time to begin with my diningroom. THAT is the worst part of the house. The bedroom and laundryroom just need sorting out and then that is nice again.

Thanks gals for making me feel better and know that I am not the "only" one.
As a ps, my Pastor came by for a talk last week and he wanted to talk in my diningroom, YIKES! I told him it was a mess but still he wanted to talk there. Maybe a sign from above? He told me he was "upset" (not the correct word, sorry) when he saw the mess and told me it reminded him of their son. The son too is/was very depressed and had the same as me: a cluttered office and a cluttered head. Pastor told me his son was now feeling better and his office was looking a lot better too. So maybe the 2 are connected, depression and clutter.

my new BLOG.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  08:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marian- I get this way to, and I think the "boredom" of cleaning has something to do with it as well. So I load an audio book up on either my computer or my MP3 player and listen to a humorous story while I clean. My favorite stories right now are the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters and the Diane Mott Davidson books.

I just zone out and get at least one area clean. Then I stand back and take a deep breath of relief because it looks so much better!

Another thing that helps is just grabbing a garbage sack and first walking around the room and chucking everything that is obviously trash. Buy some of those storage totes to put magazines in that you want to clip things out of, and then the keepers go on a book shelf with your books etc.

*hugs* I hope some of those tips help!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  08:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I agree with Alee-throw on some good 'ole music and go---George Strait got me in the mood the other day!!! : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  09:07:19 AM  Show Profile
You made me grin as I have the same problem !!!
My dinning room is full of boxes packed up; because we are building our retirement home
In the new house I will have a sewing room; hopefully I will be able to contain most of my sewing, quilting/ knitting , crocheting to that room.
I am a nut over books too.
Quilting , knitting, crocheting, etc
I have a large collection of cookbooks ( and I mean large)
I love to read
Books , books and more books.
I have gotten rid of a lot but more to de-cultter and get rid of .]
pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  10:23:34 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
hi marian,
the answer to your question is yes, yes and yes.
i have been overwhelmed at times with all my STUFF, and i feel like i know exactly what you are talking about. lately, as you know i have been puny and havent even been able to manage all the stuff, and that has been even more overwhelming.
the little energy i have had i have tried to bring some order back into this place and even put my sewing machine away for a while so i wouldnt be tempted to escape into crafting.
i do have to say while you are dwelling on the clutter and stuff, that i have been touched by you many times and your responses to my calls for prayers and thoughts, during my recent illness.
so i have to say that you can feel bad if you want about all the stuff but just know that your heart is warm and you are a sweetheart no matter how cluttered things may get. ....and also that you are not alone with the clutter.
i am no expert on cleaning that is for sure, but i have finally learned that if you focus on a small part and get that done it goes better than if your goal is to get it all done.
right now my kitchen and living room look pretty good, but unfortunately if ya want to use the bathroom i will probably have to see a current shot record, but ya know i will get to those. in the meantime i think i will go to the clean kitchen and make myself a snack and go sit in the living room. maybe after i relax i will start on the bathroom.
love to you marian, and thanks for being such a sweet farmgirl friend. you are not alone in this.

love
frannie in texas
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  5:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Me, too, girl. We've been in this house 4 years now and there are still boxes. UUGGHHHH!! I've never been this way before. I think mine is mental pause. Sometimes I just do not care and other times it drives me crazy. But I have been slowly getting rid of stuff. It's not that important anymore to have collections of things. No more of that. I do not go to yard sales or flea markets because I don't need anything!

You should see my car. It looks like I live in it now. Gotta clean it out tomorrow!

Good luck, Marion. You'll get it done. Don't push yourself. You know what really helps me? COMPANY! When I know company is coming I get to cleaning. It doesn't matter if they're here for a few minutes or hours, the house gets cleaned. And I don't mean just moved from one spot to another. But cleaned out.

My dream is to have someone who really needs stuff to come to my house and just pick things out. I have had our church come get truck loads of stuff, some still in boxes, for yard sales. Twice so far. So maybe that would be an option for you. And it really feels good to purge.

Hugs, Kris
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  6:02:58 PM  Show Profile
I am usually overwhelmed. This time of year, the yardwork to get completed before snow flies makes me want to cry sometimes.

By the time I get home from work and finish throwing dinner together, it is already pitch black outside, so I can't get anything done after work. Plus there is dance lesson and church to race to on top of that a couple of nights a week.

I usually have to call my Dad and his trailer in for back up. Thank God he likes to get moving early on Saturday mornings, so we get a lot done in one day.

As for the clutter, just do a little at a time, otherwise you get frustrated and give up. I promise, the clutter will still be there for you to clean up.

I used the fly lady in the past and she is great.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Oct 19 2008 6:05:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  6:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
Marian,
I feel the same way. I use to be such a good housekeeper, everything in place. Not sure what has happened but I have "stuff" everywhere. My house is small and I have treasurers that I can not part with but I sometimes feel overwhelmed.
My daughter is married now (but she has been away at college for 10 yrs)and I REALLY need to clear out her room. But there is so many things she tells me to toss and I cant, I just know someday when she is older she is going to wish she still had these things. But maybe not...so do I toss or hang on? A question that I always have.
But, I do need to start and maybe I could carry through. Like you...just cant seem to get started.

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

My new blog!
http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com

Edited by - downbranchroad on Oct 19 2008 6:22:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  7:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Dutchy....I just read this whole topic and you sound like me! I am not aware of a sad or depressed feeling but I can't get motivated to clean or de-clutter! I take an anti-depressant...but I think I somehow got lazy and stopped caring...maybe depressed and don't know it?? I sit and do crafts and feel bad that the floors need mopped and bathroom needs cleaned. I have to switch summer clothes to winter ones for my closet!..... Can't keep putting it off...the dust just gathers.
You honestly sound truly depressed. Have you ever felt this way before? Is it a change lately? What did you do when you felt this way before? I think these are important questions that I could also answer.
Thank you so much for the priviledge of our friendship and the trust in us to support you. Speaking up like you have!
Linda

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Yes! I live in the Scranton, PA "The Office" TV show is based on! LOL LOL
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  06:22:00 AM  Show Profile
Been there, still there, Marian. Sometimes I think it comes back to figuring out what's important in life and what's not...I used to be a compulsive cleaner, now I realize if it's dusty or cluttered, I'll get to it eventually...too many other things in life to enjoy now.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  4:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Fly Lady has saved me!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Kelly Girl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Kelly
T-Town
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  03:51:01 AM  Show Profile
I also so understand. If you could see my desk right now, one would wonder how I could find the computer. I know alot of my "stuff" was due to when my daughter married last year. I was very overwhelmed by it all. Lots of mixed emotions and was physically worn out by the time the wedding took place. I just went into a shell after it was all over. First I thought I just needed rest, then a few months went by and I found myself still not up to doing much other than laundry, dishes, a few chores here and there, and my small part time job. Then my niece got married. Guess who had to plan it?? Yes, ME, the auntie. which I loved doing, but it enabled me to get further behind on things at home. I love to decorate, do art projects, even oragnize etc... but these last 12 months have been a challenge for me. Do I think depression has played a part of it. Yes in some ways. I think it is a bit of the empty nest syrdrome too, even though I still have a younger kido at home. My daughter was like my "right hand". Her not being here has been a BIG adjustment. I am the only female in the house now, and boy you can tell it. The guys here do NOT help, unless I throw a "wall-eyed fit" and that is not a pretty sight!! I do feel like I am making some progress though, but it is "baby steps".... I am trying to tackle some little home projects, and reorganize and clean. But like everyone has said, it is one small space at a time.
These little "battle grounds" will lead to a BIG VICTORY! At least that is my prayer!!
Praying for one and all, and especially for you Marian.
Beautiful "Farmgirl" Blessings~ Kelly

http://belleamebeautifulsoul.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  06:56:55 AM  Show Profile
So much of what has been posted here sounds like me too. I don't seem to have the energy or motivation to do what must be done to get control of the clutter. After I get home from work I just want to rest and 'zone out' a bit listening to music, reading, or watching a bit of TV. And on the weekends I just want to get outside and do other things. I have one room, my so-called office, that's just packed full of stuff I don't really know what to do with. And when I do clean I find that a lot of times I'm just putting things from other rooms into my office because I don't know what to do with that stuff. I have a hard time getting rid of anything. I try to keep the dishes, kitchen, and floors clean. And I don't mind doing laundry, that is kind of relaxing. But when my husband asks me when I'm going to get rid of all the junk I kind of ignore it.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page