Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  1:06:47 PM  Show Profile
What is going on in your kitchen today? I just finished my canner of tomato juice. Went out and picked greenbeans for supper and going out to pick another 2 five gallon buckets of apples. Tomorrow will be applesauce or butter for the freezer. Has anyone ever canned apples? Can I make a simple syrup using splenda? Oh, maybe that should be another topic.

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  2:38:30 PM  Show Profile
I made some rolls with my bread machine... that's about it.
The rolls are going in the freezer for when the cowboys decide to wean. That way I don't have to worry about making them, they all ready are!

I'm thinking about some cookies or something snacky. And then of course there will be supper soon. Probly fajitas so I'll make some bean dip.

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  3:21:53 PM  Show Profile
Making stuffed squash for mom's return tonight and an apple cobbler of sorts with the last of last years pie filling.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  4:55:47 PM  Show Profile
My mother-in-law fixed biscuits, ham and eggs this morning! No cooking going on in my kitchen!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  5:47:16 PM  Show Profile
I was gone all day. Just got back. But I sure am hungry now. I'll have to see what I can come up with.
Go to Top of Page

susanreno
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Susan
West Chester PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  6:12:11 PM  Show Profile
I felt quite motivated to cook today. With a definite chill in the air and not much on the schedule (after our weekly visit to the farmer's market in town) I figured it would be to putter around the kitchen for a bit. So after lunch of chicken salad with apples and cheese (both from the farmer's market) I made a pumpkin pie, chicken soup, chicken stock and a Portuguese greens stew made with collard greens and potatoes. I served this for dinner with some black-eyed peas, cous-cous and smoked sausage. The soup and stock will eventually make it into the freezer and the pie.... well, we'll be lucky if it sees Monday! It was a very productive kitchen day but now it's nice to finally sit down! Happy Cooking :)

Susan
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  6:41:50 PM  Show Profile
Susan - that Portugese stew sounds delicious!! And familiar, but I am not remembering where I saw the recipe - where did you get yours?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  6:57:04 PM  Show Profile
I have rosemary, chives and oregano drying in the dehydrator right now..my only accomplishment today was working in the herb garden...so I at least got that done. I guess I really did accomplish things, but it didn't feel like much. I also harvested parsley to dry and dill seed and costmary (I dry it..makes lovely bookmarks and protects books from pesties)
I hope to bake some banana bread or muffins later tonight if I don't fall asleep..haha
I have chickens thawed for roast chicken tomorrow for supper and I plan to make homemade stuffing with it.
We had beef stir fry and rice for supper tonight..the kids and I love that..my husband..not so much. It was good!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  7:09:19 PM  Show Profile
It was a gorgeous, warm, sunny day here. We spent most of it outside raking leaves. I did make a homemade pizza for dinner that was quite yummy though. When the weather is this nice, it is hard for me to concentrate on cooking.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  06:48:45 AM  Show Profile
Belle, I can apples. I just make sure they are a firm apple that will hold their shape and use a medium syrup. Makes delicious desserts in the winter! Never tried Splenda, though...sorry.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  08:23:15 AM  Show Profile
Made a big pot of vegetable soup and cornbread last night. HAd the family over to share it, and it was fun. Today, I cleaned up and dusted the shelves on the kitchen hutch.....every once in a while I have to clean the kitchen :(

I think later I will bake a fresh loaf of bread. It is so sunny and beautiful here today, just standing in the kitchen looking out the window is a pleasure.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

susanreno
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Susan
West Chester PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  10:20:50 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace...
I found that recipe for Portuguese greens stew on the Epicurious website, one of my favorite online recipes places. Here is a link to the recipe...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/PORTUGUESE-GREEN-SOUP-231074

I usually add thyme and bay leaves and sometimes cook the sausage separately instead of in the soup.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic No one in the Kitchen today? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page