Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 When I run out of jars.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic When I run out of jars..... Next Topic  

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  10:46:08 AM  Show Profile
do I get to stop canning? Went to the celler this a.m. to get jars for tom juice. Canning in pints because I don't have enough tomatoes at one time to do quarts. Have plenty of qt jars. I had a hard time finding 7 pint jars. I thought, well I must be finished with the canning after todays batch. Then I thought of a box out in the storage shed that says Kerr on it. Sure enough, a full box of new jars. Been there since back in 99 when I was doing my Y2K preps. So I have 12 more jars and figure I'll use a jar or 2 of salsa or something in the next week. So I will have enough for 2 more canners of something. Then, I'll be done!!

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  11:54:15 AM  Show Profile
How nice to find just what you are looking for. Jars have a tendency to hide sometimes. It is such a wonderful feeling to get all the canning done. Bravo!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  12:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great, Belle!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  12:26:59 PM  Show Profile
I have to go BUY some pint jars today...argh!!! I never run out of quarts...I have been gifted with countless jars and have never canned enough to fill them all..that is my goal each year...this year I am still working on that. Pints tend to disspear...a jar of salsa to a friend, jam to a neighbor..like that and I end up needing more some years. I wish I could find a source for alot of cheap used PINT jars!!!
That is so cool that you found just the ones you needed!!
I am going to start working on apples now...all my tomatoes are finally canned.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  12:49:55 PM  Show Profile
My neighbors and I trade off enough that I don't loose jars because of them. It's the grandkids and my sister that I never get my jars back. One grandson always brings his back and even helped can dill pickles this year. Another grandson has had jars in the trunk of his car since school was out last spring and he moved out of his dorm. I have pretty well counted them a loss. Another grandson's wife was throwing them in the trash like they were some store bought salsa jar. They just don't know what it is like to see rows of clean empty jars. Then a couple of months later, rows of jars filled with greenbeans, tomatoes, pickles, salsa, applesauce. You get the picture. Kids!!! They think that stuff just appears and the jars are free.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4743 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4743 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  6:53:18 PM  Show Profile
How luck you were to find your little treasure trove of jars! Good luck finishing up canning!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic When I run out of jars..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page