Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Wool Felting How To
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wool Felting How To Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  7:17:54 PM  Show Profile
Ok farmgirls, I am looking for the best place to buy felting supplies. I went to my JoAnn's and they didn't have anything, but a how-to book.

thanks for your help

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  7:26:37 PM  Show Profile
Lora, you may want to check on etsy! I know there is a lot of wool and some people have a variety of colors in one pack!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  7:40:29 PM  Show Profile
thank you!!

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  7:53:34 PM  Show Profile
some of your different quilt shops carry wool too. You would have to check the ones by your area and see if they do or not. I also buy wool stuff aat the nearest thrift store. I buy wool sweaters and felt them and then cut out the pieces. or i buy wool skirts and blazers and pants and wash them and felt them and then cut out the pieces. What kind of felting are you trying to do. the kind i just was talking about or knitting the wool first and them felting that? Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  06:24:16 AM  Show Profile
Your most local yarn shop will have felting supplies.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  5:44:26 PM  Show Profile
I want to try the needle felting where you make little animals and things. Thanks for all the info.

I did order a felting kit from am etsy shop last night.

Lora #358

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  6:25:00 PM  Show Profile
Lora, I am carding wool to make thick sheets of felt tonight so that I can cut out some new mittens and soles for our winter boots. I usually knit and felt some of our mittens but I will be making mittens by first making the felt then tracing around the pattern and then tracing on pattern on back of mittens to do some Scandinavien yarn needlework. Then I will sew the mitten together.
For needle felting, you will need a thick sheet of foam to stab your needle into. I have used the white foam but would rather use a firm thick pillow form. I think I purchased some of my felting books and felting needles off ebay. On our blog, Angie needlefelts flowers and vines on her hand woven wool purses.
Getting a kit to get started is a good idea. Let us know how things go.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  07:05:40 AM  Show Profile
Ok, what is "felting"? I see you girls talking about it from time to time in reference to wool...
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  07:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
on needle felting, be careful with the needles. they cost $7 to replace and i am constantly breaking or bending them.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  08:21:45 AM  Show Profile
There are several ways to "felt"--which is meshing the fibers together in a way that it makes a thicker "fabric" made of wool.

You can knit or crochet wool yarn and then wet felt it---makes a hefty thick material.

You can needle felt by using a needle to mesh wool (not yarn) fibers together and lock them into this "mesh". Again, you have a tangled bunch of fibers that are locked together but in an intentional way. You can mold the fibers into shapes this way.

A similar method but using a machine method is needle felting which I have done at a fiber mill on my fleeces--it uses lots of needles, not just one at a time) to needle felt and I get back a yardage of this fabric. Sometimes if it's not quite thick enough for one of my projects I then wet felt it on top of the needle felting. It gets thicker doing this.

What I've found is that wool that won't wet felt (most down breeds) will needle felt. For instance, my Texel wool will not wet felt but makes great needle felt.

Grace will be much more knowledgeable about this than me and can correct any of my mistakes above but she's out hunting a cat so might not be around.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  10:02:00 AM  Show Profile
I went to a fiber festival and I bought the needle felting needles for $1.75. So look around some places are cheaper.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  7:55:14 PM  Show Profile
I got my kit (had to pick up mail from the post office today after a week of much needed vacation) Received some beautiful colors of natural ecru, rust, light brown, dark brown and a lovely shade of green. I made a little bird while watching the Colts. It's so easy!! I am truly hooked. hee hee hee. If you haven't tried needle felting and would like to, DO IT, you will love it.

Thanks,
Lora #358

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  09:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jami - you are right on...
Lora I think you will love needle felting - it is a great way to work out those aggressions too! If you need assistance just yell, keep those bandaids close by and do not work on your lap. I do sell the needles at a friendly price and gladly guide you to fiber and supplies. Take your time and enjoy the process. I love needle felting. As for the downey breeds I love using them as a core piece and wrap other faster felting fiber on top - that is for wet felting process. What you get is this incredible sponge like feel to the wet felt and the downey breed will take on the other fibers quickly. If you use the downey breed for needle felting make sure you start with the start needle to grab hold of those crimpy fleeces. Have fun...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wool Felting How To Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page