Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **News from MaryJanesFarm
 Farmgirl Alert: Plowing Thru
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Farmgirl Alert: Plowing Thru Next Topic
Page: of 5

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  11:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
So many great examples here that MJ is lucky to be picking out of a hat! LOL
Growing up with a mother who was contantly battling depression and other issues it could be extremely difficult to get through some days. My father was a bystander through most of it and worked a lot of hours in order to escape from it. Through all this though came these things: Respect for my elders, a very good work ethic (I worked to help support the family) an ability to adapt quickly to any given situation, and to have compassion for those with illnesses. I to battle with depression but thank goodness not on the level my mother has all these years, god spared me of that. I have my days though where I have to "plow thru" those feelings of staying in bed, not going out to visit friends, to NOT have some excuse for not going into work. For the most part I am fine. But I have my days and recognize them for what they are. Women in general I believe have it the hardest because we wear so many different hats, the pressure to excel at all and to still be on call 24/7 can be overwhelming. I raise my hat to anyone out there who knows what I am talking about, carry on sister, carry on. Smiles and Hugs, Lori

Farmgirl at Heart #397
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  5:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Here I go again...would really like that apron!

Plowing through means that even though you only have a half acre you still just go ahead and turn that old garden shed into a chicken coop and order two dozen little chicks to fill it up! Now that they are big girls and are multiplying (we love to let them hatch eggs!) they are spreading out all over...even into the neighbors yard, but they are so much fun.

Enter Carrie into the hat, pretty please!

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  09:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Back again!

Plowing through means reminding yourself that your kids will grow up someday and remembering that letting them make messes and mistakes in the kitchen is part of that journey. Our most memorable of these messy mistakes is when I had all five young-uns in the kitchen to bake a cake together. My son was mixing batter with the hand beater which he had just turned off, pulled out of the bowl all drippy, and turned toward me to ask a question. We both looked a the hand beater and noticed that it was about to drip batter on the floor. To this day we do not know what went through his mind, but instead of putting the beater back in the bowl before it dripped, he turned it ON!!!!! Batter spread all over the room including the ceiling. It was a horrible mess, and almost enough to discourage me from letting them "help" again, but we love to laugh about it now. We're still plowin' though in the kitchen together!!!

carrie m

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  4:45:39 PM  Show Profile
Plowing through is not taking it personally when you have two vehicles, a new lawnmower, and a new gas-trimmer all die within a month of each other - and never, ever say "smile things could get worse because they will". My parents still talk about 1976 - similar chain of events to mine of this year and dad just kept saying "smile...."

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  6:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Plowing through means watching my dad walk behind the horse plowing his garden which was his first love. He wasn't able to make a living at it but he kept us well-fed and his heart was happy.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Nov 19 2008 6:18:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  6:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Plowing through means years later, when he switched to using a tractor, he taught me to drive it while he plowed. I loved those times. Once he let me give it a try. I kept buggin him to let me plow so I could see what it was like. Well, I found out real fast! I couldn't even keep it in the ground once he started moving. It gave me a real appreciation for all of his hard work and I also realized how much he loved it to go through all that "torture!"

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Nov 19 2008 6:22:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  6:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
One of the things I learned while driving that tractor was how important it is to keep your eyes focused on where you want to end up. I had to keep my eyes on a tree at the end of the row to keep the rows straight. Not only that, I focused on another spot, usually a post, in front of it and lined them up to stay really straight. Now I find myself putting that same "plowing through" strategy to work again as my husband and I set our goal of completing the circle and living off the land like my grandparents did. That's the tree. This year our post is having a garden that can provide us with enough food for the year. I'll be happy with 6 months the first go 'round!

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Nov 19 2008 6:36:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  7:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
The easiest ground I've ever plowed was this thread. "Plowing through" everyone's contributions has been inspiring. My heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has posted. I am humbled to be in your company. Keep on plowin', my farmgirlfriends, keep on keepin' on.

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Nov 19 2008 7:10:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  9:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
hhhmmmm....."plowing through" the good and the bad, the sad and the icky...the tears, the sorrows, the laughter and fears. Plowing through - kids and their laughter and trials and tears, husband - sometimes ornary, grouchy and oops, got off track just alittle LOL - that wonderful man that's been with me for years (acouple now!!!)...the chickens, the horses, goats, cows, bunnies, pigs, dogs, cats!!!(Whew!) Which would probably bring me to "plowing through" the manure! And to that I would take it and plow through the garden to which would produce (I hope) so that I wouldn't have to go "plowing through" the grocery! Plowing through cobwebs and dusting and laundry...next spot is the kitchen where I think I'd be "plowing through" making dinner in a lovely new apron!!!!

What fun this is!

Melissa Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  11:50:11 AM  Show Profile
I agree - this is fun. Farmgirls are a strong group of women - oftentimes awe-inspiring for the fortitude they show. I hope as I grow older that I can continue to plow through the good and the bad with grace and good spirits
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  12:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
Amen to that.

quote:
Originally posted by graciegreeneyes

I agree - this is fun. Farmgirls are a strong group of women - oftentimes awe-inspiring for the fortitude they show. I hope as I grow older that I can continue to plow through the good and the bad with grace and good spirits
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224

Farmgirl at Heart #397
Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Plowing through for me recently started when my husband went over the road with his truck driving job. I've had to take care of everything at home alone. I think I've done a pretty decent job. One incident - last year we had an ice storm which caused a tree to fall in our driveway - it was still attached but bent over and blocking me in. So I had to cut it down. I didn't know how to use the chainsaw, the phone was out, my cell phone didn't have reception, so I couldn't call my hubby. I took out the manual for the chainsaw and figured it out, cut the tree down, cut it into fire wood and dragged it out of the way. My husband was floored - and all proud of me, so was I. A couple weeks later, I received a little postcard in the mail about getting a trial issue of Mary Jane Farm Girl magazine. Totally me! What a coincidence, eh? And I love this magazine and this forum - I love meeting other girls that I know would do the same thing I did....

Lisa
http://lisas22968.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  2:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Lately, Plowin Through for me has meant weathering financial hardship. I'm currently a starving real estate agent, which is pretty self explanatory in these economic times. I'm pinching pennies wherever I can, and this year instead of store bought gifts, I'm making all of our Christmas gifts, using fabrics, yarns, etc that I already have on hand, and have also made applebutter, jams, jellies, and will be doing lots of baking also.

It's pretty amazing actually. Instead of feeling depressed or stressed, the simple act of creating gifts with my own two hands has been a source of relaxation and peace. And isn't that what Christmas is all about?....simple and abundant peace.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  5:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Plowin Through...Sometimes the dirt is solid and hard and plowin through is tougher than tough. Other times the dirt is soft and moist and plowin through is quite easy. Sometimes the snow is wet and heavy and plowin through wears you down. Other times when it's quite cold the snow is light and feathery and is like plowin through air. In life times can be rough and wear you down but just as plowin through dirt and snow when you are over the hard times you are tougher and stronger. A sense of accomplishment is felt and then you remember to enjoy life when it is good and sweet and all is going well.

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

lisa229
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Lisa
Dorset(Lenox Twp.) OH
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  07:05:35 AM  Show Profile
Diana - I love getting homemade gifts! And the reaction you get from people who receive your homemade gifts is priceless! Have a wonderful holiday.....

Lisa

quote:
Originally posted by dkelewae

Lately, Plowin Through for me has meant weathering financial hardship. I'm currently a starving real estate agent, which is pretty self explanatory in these economic times. I'm pinching pennies wherever I can, and this year instead of store bought gifts, I'm making all of our Christmas gifts, using fabrics, yarns, etc that I already have on hand, and have also made applebutter, jams, jellies, and will be doing lots of baking also.

It's pretty amazing actually. Instead of feeling depressed or stressed, the simple act of creating gifts with my own two hands has been a source of relaxation and peace. And isn't that what Christmas is all about?....simple and abundant peace.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/

Lisa
http://lisas22968.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  11:15:10 PM  Show Profile
I have several "plowing thru" things to say but for more chances, I'll enter them separately. A month or two ago my daughter and I were turning onto the road that leads to our town when we saw a woman in a truck with her flashers on turn on the road before us then pull off. We went over and asked her if she needed help and she said she was on her way to Orofino (about 10 miles up the river) but she had run out of gas and didn't have any money left. She seemed very distraught. I drove the few miles home and got a 5 gal can of gas I had saved for the small tractor and went back and put it in her tank. She was so thankful she wanted to take my name and address so when she got on her feet she could pay me back. I told her my name but refused to give her my address, the look of appreciation on her face and the knowledge that I did what God would want me to do was more than enough. She took off and plowed thru to Orofino.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  11:19:48 PM  Show Profile
I have plowed thru a bad marriage (prior one, this one is great)for 14 1/2 years through a lot of verbal abuse, mental manipulation, etc. I have 2 children from that marriage and when I ended the marriage I plowed thru as a single mom for 4 1/2 years with a son who had a lot of problems from our family life during the marriage.

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  11:22:59 PM  Show Profile
When I met my (2nd and final marriage) husband on eHarmony I lived in CT and he lived in Peck. I packed up and drove across the country in early February plowing thru snow most of the way to my new home and happy marriage.

Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  11:27:50 PM  Show Profile
The last plowing thru I can think of is when one of the single fathers at church (a friend of ours) didn't have hardly any food left with a lot of month left. He was at our house when his daughter told me, so I went to the pantry and to our big chest freezer and I literally filled his car with food. (it's a compact car) There was only room for them in the front seat to drive home. (this includes his trunk)
God had blessed us with enough food to share and we were SO happy to have been able to do it!!

(that's all I'm going to put for now, I've gotta give someone else a chance)

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Plowin through means reminding yourself that the kitty you rescued will grow up to be a sweet affection companion, even if he does relish gnawing on your ankels first thing in the morning while you're pouring water into the coffee maker and you're still only barely ready to face the day!

He really will be worth the pain and trouble!!

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  08:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Plowing through reminds me of my grandmother-in-law who died of a heart attack just before her 93rd birthday, after a day of cleaning her basement and climbing the stairs repeatedly. She was a beautiful example of farmgirl spirit, wife of a farmer and mother of two dairy farming sons, she always served her community, appeared at every baby shower and wedding, showed up in the home of every grieving neighbor, and entertained in her home regularly. She was, and still is, my role model. Shortly after her funeral we gathered to clean out her home and spread her precious belongings among family and friends...we discovered a homemade apple pie-her specialty!- in the freezer where she always kept some to pull out and bake for guests. Such a simple thing, but it brought tears to those of there when it was discovered. Her goodness had lived on even after her death!

It is my resolve to leave a pie in the freezer when I pass on.

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  08:44:20 AM  Show Profile
As a child I was very interested in sewing and handcrafts, but it was something I had to teach myself since my mother only had limited time and ability. One of the things I really wanted to learn was to knit, but I knew NO ONE who could teach me...until my grandfather married a woman who showed me the basics. I was ten years old.

I got frustrated with the stitches on my tiny needles (size 8's which I still have!) as they got tighter and tighter with each row. I was in my teens before I really got the knack. I was 18 and in my own apartment when I borrowed books from the library to show me how to add purling to my work. I learned how to adjust guage and some other necessary tricks. Then, when I got married, my mother-in-law taught me how to read patterns which opened up a whole new world for me! I knitted a small blue sweater for our infant son!

Now I can knit almost anything from socks to lace to sweaters that fit even me! It is one of my favorite pasttimes and something that I have taught to any woman or child that desires to learn. And my Plowin' Through journey will obviously lead me to the next step...spinning my own yarn!

Carrie M

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  8:01:17 PM  Show Profile
This week plowin' through means not being overwhelmed by the hundreds of pounds of cheese I have to cut, but just getting down to it and getting it done!! And having a good time too!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  08:02:18 AM  Show Profile
This may be too late but I will still try. Count me in.
"Plowing thru" to me means that until lately all the entrepreneurial ideas that roll around in my head did jut that roll around never getting anywhere. Since finding MJF I have been inspired and am ironing out those ideas and am getting them headed in the right direction. I want to grow flowers and produce as well as getting our grass fed beef processed and labeled for sale to sell at the farmers market and also produce crafts and possibly get an etsy shop. All inspired by the fabulous ladies @ MJF!
Becky

I am one with my inner farm girl!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  2:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Drum roll!!!! Our Christmas DIY apron-to-go stitching kit featured in the Dec/Jan issue of MaryJanesFarm magazine goes to......

Deeredawn (Dawn of Nova, Ohio)!! And to add a little magic to the occasion, our newest employee, Dawn Abbott, was assigned the task of going through this thread and writing down all the entries, even the multiple entries and then Dawn had our resident artist, Denali, chose one name from a straw hat (Stella Jane was supposed to chose the winner but was taking a nap). Dawn pulled out Dawn's name!

We love your descriptions of what "farmgirl plowing thru" meant to you. Some mornings we started our day that way, grouped around the computer reading your sweet, heartfelt stories.

Love you all and Merry Christmas.

MaryJane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Farmgirl Alert: Plowing Thru Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page