asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  06:52:00 AM  Show Profile
I have heard about it and have had friends be recipients of it but it has never happened to me until today. While waiting in the drive-thru line this morning (early) for my usual coffee and muffin from Starbucks, the gentleman in the nice car ahead of me paid for my drink and muffin. A total stranger. It made my day.

I am sure I will be just a little nicer on the phone today to my customers just because of this very nice gester.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  07:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
In our small group at church we were talking about people who cut us off in traffic, are short-tempered in lines, etc. and how we carry the grumpies with us the rest of the day and the person that did the deed goes merrily on their way. This is a wonderful example of the other side of the coin. What a difference a little thoughtfulness can make.

And I like your tagline, Anne!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  08:18:05 AM  Show Profile
how nice! i'm glad to hear about things like that.....puts back a little faith in fellow human beings acting, well, human!! gives me inspiration.......
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  08:22:16 AM  Show Profile
If you've never read the book "Pay it Forward" by Catherine Ryan Hyde, give it a try! Hearing of these little niceities that people do does inspire one to do the same, doesn't it?
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  1:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love this concept and try to do this when I can. Sometimes the only thing I can afford is a smile and a polite manner. I love seeing someone smile because you smiled at them! One of my favorite "games" is to see if I can make another driver smile who has for example, stopped opposite me in an intersection.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  1:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
I have heard of the "Play it Forward" concept.....somehow I've missed out on the "Pay It Forward." One little example for me has been that .....I do try to be considerate of people in a grocery store line. If they only have a few things in their basket and I have quite a few, I invite them to go ahead of me. Last time I did this, the lady that was standing behind me that I invited to move ahead of me, said...."Thank you so much, I do appreciate that and I will 'play it forward' for someone else next time!"......Soooooooo indeed, little gestures do make a difference in our lives and others lives!

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~

Edited by - Back Home Again on Oct 16 2008 1:51:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  1:51:54 PM  Show Profile
I have never paid for anything for anyone, but I have done the play it forward. I unloaded groceries in the check out line for a guy who was handicap. I have given flowers to a neighbor that was sick that I really didn't know very well. Help older people with too heavy of stuff to lift, etc. I always feel that it could be me someday that will need the help.

Anne in Portland, OR

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  2:03:05 PM  Show Profile
A long time ago, when I was still in college, back in the "70's, some folks that my parents met when they moved to Elk, WA (I was still living in CA at the time), heard how my roomates and I were struggling as we tried to work and go to school. One day, out of the blue, we received 4 BIG boxes via UPS from these folks that my parents barely knew. Inside the boxes were enough staple groceries (cereal, canned goods) to last us for two months. It really did save our bacon at a time when things were really tough. Ever since that happened, every time I have helped out someone I have told them the story and asked them to "pay it forward" along with the story of what these folks had done for me - a stranger to them. I know it forever changed my life and has inspired me to help others with a full heart expecting nothing for myself in return but with the hope that the essence of such loving generosity will grow and move on to bless others as it did me. We have many opportunities in life to make things better. Like a pool of water that you drop a pebble in - the ripples continue out endlessly and can touch others ad infinitum. Here's to those ripples - may they be only positive, loving ones.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  2:09:59 PM  Show Profile
I've paid and played. And for those who allow me to go first in the checkout line, I always look them in the eye and thank them and wish them a good day. One time a mom and several children were in line and paying with food stamps. She didnt have enough by about 7$ so I paid it... no biggie.
Christmas of 1997. My mom was really sick. In the hospital about 8 times that year. i was the sole breader winner taking care of my mom and my then 5yo. I was a hospice aide. Christmas was coming and I had nothing but the bills paid. One Christmas Eve we had a big snow. My dog Gypsy was barking like crazy and I finally got up to let her out to potty, sitting on the back porch were 3 huge, like refrigerator boxes huge with my name written im magic marker. I opened the box and it was filled with presents and food. There wer clothes and toys for my dd, slippers and perfume for my Mom and stuff for me and even a doggy present for my pup. I was so overwhelmed I went to me knees and bawled. That was the most amazing thing to ever happen to me (aside my kiddo) so I always keep that in mind when it comes to others.....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  2:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
just wanted to add another 2 cents to my above post........I think we are all on the same page with Play or Pay it Forward! Just doing something from the heart (monetarily or otherwise) for someone that is Basically a stranger, 'models' what all of us would like to see our world be. I think when people see others doing kind deeds, they in turn are more likely to do the same and as a result, a little at a time, we certainly do our share to help make this a Better place for all of us!

Until Later,
New Mexico Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  3:08:56 PM  Show Profile
right on!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  6:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dawn- that is an amazing story! How wonderful that someone was so kind to you and your family!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  6:43:57 PM  Show Profile
This reminds me of years ago when my husband was laid off. The kids were little and we were so broke and had absolutely no food in the house. We did not know what we were going to do. I told one person, besides praying, about our situation. That night some people from church came over with so much food and milk. It lasted a long time. I will never forget that. And try to do the same when I hear about people who are in need. It does matter what we do, even the little things.

Did anyone hear about the guy who'd inherited some money and bought gas for so many people one day, I think it was just last week. He was telling them to try to do something nice for someone theirselves.

Good deeds do tend to work their way around.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  06:40:05 AM  Show Profile
The guy that was buying gas was here in Oregon. He inherited some money and wanted to do something nice with it in memory of his mother. He hung out at local gas station and when people came up to fill up their cars he would just walk over and say "I got it". He filled like a 100 cars. It was quite amazing.

I do have to admit that small gesture yesterday gave me a warm "fuzzy" feeling for the whole day.

Anne in Portland, OR

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  11:47:09 AM  Show Profile
When I was about ten years old my dad (who was the sole breadwinner) lost his job just a couple days after my mom had to have an emergency c-section. Christmas was coming and things were starting to look quite bleak. THen all of a sudden we started finding boxes of food on the back porch. One night there was a couple boxes of wrapped presents on the back porch. We never saw who did it and we lived out in the country with a long driveway and you would think we surely would have seen someone walking to the back porch but never did. Amazing!
Plus, an older couple from our church who we didn't even know asked our priest if there was any family they could "adopt" that year since their Grandchildren lived far away and they wanted to see the smiles on kid's faces when they experience Christmas. THe priest asked my parents and my parents said sure so this couple came and picked my older brother, me, and two of my younger siblings up and took us out to Pizza Hut and then to Walmart to pick out whatever we wanted. Just going out to eat was a real treat for us and we had so much fun picking out a few outfits and a toy. How sweet of a couple who didn't even know our family to decide to give a little Christmas joy!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  6:54:07 PM  Show Profile
What neat stories....Gives me back a little hope for humanity and reminds me to think about how my actions affect others
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  7:22:45 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for sharing these wonderful stories! I really think that is how life is supposed to be, that you give when you have it and get when you need it! If I could afford it I would just as soon make stuff and give it away! I just can't help but give things away! Sometimes it's the little gestures that mean so much! I remember 20 years ago I was trying to figure out how to get home and I didn't even have 1.00 for bus fare and this bus driver gave me a little bible tract with a dollar tucked inside. It meant so much because it was a 7 mile walk home without it!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  7:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Anne - you must be really cute!!!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  1:42:26 PM  Show Profile
Shirely -

Trust me I am not and it was dark, so he could not have seen me that well. :)

Anne in Portland, OR

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  5:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Geez you guys, you are making me tear up here.

I do try to pay it forward whenever I can-most of the time it isn't that hard to do. I think common courtesy and respect has flown out the window in this day and age. So that is why when we do hear of awesome things like the guy paying for gas in Oregon, we are all surprised.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Oct 19 2008 5:47:32 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pay it Forward Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page