Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Holistic help for feline stroke?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Holistic help for feline stroke? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  06:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I think my cat Buddy has had a stroke. My dh has had him tested for everything imaginable by the shelter vet. Does anyone know of any holistic medicine/remedy I can give him to help him? He staggers and is listless. He still eats, but he seems to have trouble with that. As usual, the regular vet is no help. Someone on this forum helped me with my dog who is epileptic by recommending milk thistle to counteract the phenobarbitol he takes to control seizures. Does anyone have any suggestions for my poor Buddy?

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  08:06:34 AM  Show Profile
Does he do this often? Or did it come on suddenly? Did you happen to use a product made for dogs on him? That would cause seizures and even death.
Also, has your kitty been tested for hypoglycemia or diabetes? Did the vet give him a vitamin supplement to take? Oh dear...I am very concerned about your kitty. I would be beside myself if he were mine.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  08:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Today, when I was researching online, I discovered the possibility of diabetes. I'll have him tested for that next. I don't know why the vet doesn't think of these things. It's frustrating sometimes. He has been like this for weeks. No, he doesn't get anything but cat food and cat products.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  12:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Somebody has emailed me to suggest something called: Vestibular Syndrome. I looked it up and it sounds like his symptoms. But so far, I haven't been able to find anything about treatment.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Janice,
Could you maybe try another vet? The one you have may not be familiar with anything more serious than the common cat/dog issues. Another idea, the website of Drs.Foster and Smith have an online vet. assistance. I have used it before. Maybe you could seek extra guidance from them? Oh...I havae some more holistic info. that I will post tomorrow for you.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  05:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Brenda. I did a lot of reading about Vestibular Syndrome yesterday and the symptoms are dead on where Buddy is concerned. Last night, my dh gave Buddy some antibiotics which the vet had originally prescribed when she thought he had an inner ear infection. He really seemed a little better this morning. That was one of the themes in everything I read - it is helped by antibiotics. I just don't know how long he can keep taking them. I've got another vet in mind, too. I'd appreciate any holistic info you have. I wonder if any of the Bach flower remedies would help him. One lady online in another forum used motion sickness pills and cut them in half(the vet had told her it was okay).

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  2:24:00 PM  Show Profile
Your welcome. I wouldn't give your kitty anything without first checking with the vet to see if it is safe. Okay, I am taking this info from a book I have titled Natural Pet Cures by Dr. John Heinerman with a forward by Dr. Robert Goldstein both are vets. For a list of holistic vets in your area contact:
America Holistic Veterinary Medical Assoc.
2214 Old Emmorton Road
Belair, MD 21015
410-569-0795

For veterinary consultations by telephone or mail:
Dr. Robert S. Goldstein, VMD
Northern Skies Veterinary Center
606 Post Road East
Westport, CT 06880
203-222-0260
(call and leave a brief message with your name, ph. #, date of call and complete address. You must be willing to receive a collect call if you want a response back or send a self addressed envelope along with any mail inquiries.)

Nutritional/Herbal Information by telephone or mail:
Dr. John Heinerman, Ph.D.
Anthropological Research Center
P.O.Box 11471
Salt Lake City, UT 84147
801-521-8824 (again, must be willing to accept a collect call for phone response.)

I do hope some or any of this is helpful. I just can't stand for a pet to be ill and have no clue what could be wrong or what to do. It makes you feel so helpless. I am glad to know your kitty is feeling a bit better though. Keep me updated if you don't mind.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Holistic help for feline stroke? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page