nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  2:39:47 PM  Show Profile
I wonder who wouyldnt mind sharing (like a farm girl wouldnt share) any of their thanksgiving tried and tru recipes? I would love a home made cranberry sauce recipe? I have a delicious yam ball recipe if anyone would like it. It's mashed yams rolled into balls covered in honey and chopped walnuts.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  2:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Man, I'm hungry right now!!! I make homemade cranberry sauce each year. I take a bag of cranberries and stir in one cup of orange juice and one cup of sugar in a sauce pan with orange zest. Heat it all up and stir as the cranberries pop. I help them along after awhile. Then let it cool. Mouth watering at the thought of leftover turkey with cold cornbread dressing on top and cranberries spilling over! I have made a relish with cranberries before using the food processor, but my family prefers it in a jelly form! My daughters want it straight out of a can, in the shape of a can! Who raised those children? lol

I would love your recipe for yam balls! I also have a dressing using wild rice, chopped apples, raisins, sausage and other good stuff.

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

daylily
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Chris
Newcastle CA
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  07:43:45 AM  Show Profile
I have a very good Cranberry Salsa recipe on my Today's Organized Kitchen blog > http://organizedkitchen.blogspot.com/2007/11/i-love-cranberry-season.html

It is like a relish. And if you have any leftovers after Thanksgiving, It is delicious with Cinnamon Tortilla chips!

Chris
Farmgirl Sister #346
http://refininglife.blogspot.com
http://organizedkitchen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  08:54:10 AM  Show Profile
Yum! Chris I'm going to try that salsa recipe this weekend! I love cranberries all year long!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  09:14:37 AM  Show Profile
I have made this SO often, I love this! I also make it to give as gifts to friends.
I will make it again this year.

1 cup water
3/4 cup white sugar
1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
1 cup apples - peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

HOW TO:

In a saucepan combine the water and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Add the cranberries, apples, cider vinegar, raisins and spices. Bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes stirring often.
Pour mixture into pots and let cool. Refrigerate after cooling.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
And also some pictures of my village, come for a visit
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  08:32:22 AM  Show Profile
"dutchy"!! that recipe sounds good; how far in advance of thanksgiving can you make & refrigerate it and it would still taste fresh and good??
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  12:44:13 PM  Show Profile
for those of you that like ginger....I add chopped up bits of candied ginger to my cranberry sauce YUM!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  7:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Marian, that looks like a great cranberry sauce recipe! Thanks for sharing. Kim, I have never heard of a yam ball before. Please share that recipe, I'm really curious about it!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

yarncrazy102
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Diane
Lewiston ID
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  5:48:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure this is anything new or not but I have a tendency to "add" stuff to the stuffing - corn, carrots, walnuts, etc. on top of standard stuff - onion, celery, etc. THEN, we have a Sage Bakery branch here in Lewiston that has really nice croutons. If they are out, which is often, I buy good wheat, rye, and potato white breads and make my own croutons. As my family doesn't like "spicy" stuffing, I watch what I put in. If I can get fresh, yes. If not, I just keep the McCormick herbs down, i.e., 1 tsp of McCormick if the recipe calls for a tbls. I use organic chicken broth of course. And, keep the salt down. Instead of making gooey yams, I just bake them - no brown sugar or mashmallows. If I don't bake the yams, I'll mash them adding a bit of honey and pumpkin pie spice. Once in the bowl, I'll pour a bit more honey on them. Over the years, I scour magazines and websites for better recipes. I'm not just looking for organic. I'm looking for healthy which is more important to me. I also make pumpkin pudding rather than pumpkin pie. My daughter has called the pudding pumpkin guts since age 3 and my family likes the pudding over the pie. Mincemeat pie? No "pie" crust. I make a graham cracker crust instead. One reason for non-crust pies?? I make the most horrible pie crusts on earth. If I can get around them I will. Hope this gives you some ideas.

From Cleveland to Idaho - what a ride!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  06:38:56 AM  Show Profile
Diane, How do you make the pumpkin pudding? Thanksgiving dinner sounds great at your house, what time do you want us there?

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Thanksgiving recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page