Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

JENNIFER
Kettle Falls WA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  1:57:37 PM  Show Profile
I am 6 weeks pregnant :)

but along with being so happy and excited, I'm also very sick, anyone have any tried and true remedies ???

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  2:00:36 PM  Show Profile
I don't think that there is anything that really works wonders but some of the most basics is to eat small meals and more snacks throughout the day. Try some red raspberry leaf tea (or order their morning sickness tea at earthmamaangelbaby.com). Real ginger ale helps. Saltine crackers. Honestly, nothing I tried ever made me feel normal but they did help a little. It always went away around week 12 so you only have to put up with it for a short while...but it seems to last forever!!! Congratulations though! Is this your first?
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

jmatney
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

JENNIFER
Kettle Falls WA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  2:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Yes this is my first, I will try these things for sure. I have to take progesterone pills, it seems like I feel icky all day until about an hour or so before I have to take the pill, then I feel sick from that, but it is all so worth it :)
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  4:14:00 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer - I feel so sorry for you. My oldest daughter had horrible morning sickness. When I was pregnant with my last one I just made sure to eat many small meals during the day. Ditto everything that Elizabeth said. Hopefully in 6 more weeks you'll be feeling much better!

Handmade Soap and More! Try my new Lavender Oatmeal Facial Bar - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100

Edited by - therusticcottage on Oct 13 2008 4:14:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  6:54:55 PM  Show Profile
Congradulations! Someone on one of these discussions mentioned that a nurse helped her with horrible post surgery nausea using by having her sniff an alcohol swab. Perhaps a bit of rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball waived under your nose might help. Just like Elizabeth mentioned, week 12 for me was like someone flipped a switch--felt almost normal again. Hang in there...it's soooo worth it!

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CarharttQueen
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Miriam
Soldier's Meadow Idaho
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  10:35:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi and congrats on your baby-on-the-way! I am 24 weeks along with my 2nd (1st baby is 9 months old). I haven't had the terrible morning sickness that some women have, but I've had some! Here's a few things I've learned that helped me:

1. As much as I love from-scratch meals, ALWAYS have on hand ready-to-eat foods. Because if and when you feel good enough to eat, you need to eat NOW--the 20 minutes waiting to prepare something can ruin your appetite and then you feel worse.

2. Know what a balanced diet is, so you can eat accordingly when you're up to it. I didn't realize the importance of this with my 1st pregnancy. With this pregnancy, I get thru the day so much better just by eating what I should. There's a neat food wheel from the American College of Obstetrics (??)--basically, just remember that you should eat something from these 4 food groups for every meal: Dairy, Protein, Fruit/Vegie, Grain.

3.TRY to take a good multi-vitamin. I know it's almost impossible if you're feeling "pukey" all the time. But I can't believe the difference when I started taking "Supermom" (available from www.beeyoutiful.com) about 6 weeks into this pregnancy. I had been dealing with morning sickness early in this pregnancy, but I haven't had the slightest bit since taking those vitamins. I'm convinced that they really helped! If you can't get pills down, at least try to take some kids (or now they're starting to make adults) gummi-vites.

4. Sleeping the right amount at the right time seemed to affect me. When I was having problems with feeling icky in the morning, it helped if I'd sleep in (or lounge around) till mid-morning. So experiment (if your schedule allows).

5. This is a great trick, which I mostly used when I was getting "morning sickness" while driving. (We have an hour drive to town, so I had this sickness a lot!). Get some little bottles of essential oils (such as Aura Casia) and take them with you. If you're feeling like puking, open the bottle and smell it (or put several drops on a cotton ball). The sick feeling should stay away! Just be sure it's a scent you like (and while pregna
nt that can change frequently, so have several options.)Along the same lines, if food smells bother you, have some good scented candles on hand to distract your senses.

I hope some of these ideas help. It seems that different women have morning sickness from different causes, so usually you just have to experiment and find what helps you personally. Best of luck to you and your little one!

Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  11:04:49 AM  Show Profile
I have three babies and I agree with everything you've already had posted...but one thing that really really helped with all three of my pregnancy's is Adrenal,Desiccated. It is a dietary supplement I got from my midwife's store. I couldn't find it on their website but if you would like...I have some left from my last baby, born in May I would be happy to send you to try. If you like them you could call the shop and order another bottle. I know many momma's who swear by this and it REALLY helped me a lot.
CONGRATULATIONS. Babies are the best!!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  1:24:18 PM  Show Profile
I was sick everyday for 16 weekks. The ONLY things that helped me was lemonade in the morning, suggested by a midwife, and taking prenatals at night, so you don't throw them up, and the B vitamins help with nausea, and will be at work then, in the morning. Sometimes, when it would get really bad, I used the pressure point bracelets. Cangrats and good luck.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
http://adventuresofowenmaxwell.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  7:15:48 PM  Show Profile
7UP, crackers, dry toast, and anything soft that wouldn't hurt on it's way back up is what got me through each of my pregnancies! I also kept a big glass of water next to my bed. I would take a big sip of it before I ran in the bathroom to throw up. It helped having something on my stomach and helped me avoid having the awful dry heaves.

Hope you feel better soon & congratulations!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  02:17:26 AM  Show Profile
Try ginger. Like Ginger Altoids. They are strong but they work great for nausea!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  8:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations! First let me say it is all worth it. When I was pregnant I craved apples and lemonade. I usually don't eat these 2 things since they are quite acidy and bother my stomach but while pregnant I ate a juicy apple once or twice a day. I later heard that a lot of women have extra mucous in their stomachs while pregnant and tend to crave acidic foods to balance things out. Eat healthy but maybe if you crave something you are doing it for a reason. Best Wishes. Being a mom is the best and I wish you well.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  11:06:03 AM  Show Profile
I'll jump in here with the lemonade recommendation! A farmgirl recommended it to me a while back and it sure does the trick most times. Also, fresh pineapple has helped me. Congratulations and get some rest! It's worth it!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

velvetcadi7
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Amy
Galva IL
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  08:14:56 AM  Show Profile
Hey! Queen of morning sickness here - 3 kids - morning sickness 24/7 with all three!

Lemonade - sometimes having it at room temp helps more than cold and sip don't chug.
Mint - whether you eat it or smell it - I like to use mint lotion on my hands.
Try to eat a small snack before even getting out of bed - like lemonade and crackers.
Sometimes buttery crackers like Ritz work better than plain saltines.

If you are still having nausea when it comes time to deliver - avoid grape licorice when in labor! My delivery nurses can attest to that one! lol

Hope you find something that helps! It is worth it though! I would never have done it 3 times if it wasn't!

Amy
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Morning sickness Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page