Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Beauty secrets of the 'Lipstick' farmgirl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Beauty secrets of the 'Lipstick' farmgirl Next Topic
Page: of 2

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  05:47:23 AM  Show Profile
Okay, so my post about being a Lipstick Farmgirl got some of your attention. It seems that the group was divided between actually being a LFG, and wondering how to do it. I have to admit, I started putting my hair up and applying a rudimentary face after reading all those posts. I do feel more able to face my day (no pun intended!)

So here is my next question; What are your favorite no-nonsense beauty secrets? For example, one of mine is the Miracle Whip facial. Just generously smear Miracle Whip (and it has to be Miracle Whip) all over your clean face up to the hairline and to your lower lashes. You'll need to keep moving during this process because the vinegar in the spread will sting your eyes until it disapates--moving seems to keep it out of your eyes. Then leave it on for 20-25 minutes (or longer). When the time is up, bend over the sink and gently massage the dried salad dressing off your face. What appears to be little rubber balls will come off, taking dead skin with them. When everything is 'rubbed off' wash your face and pat dry. Your skin will be baby-butt smooth. Supposedly, if you do this twice a day for a week, tiny lines and wrinkles will start to diminish. I'm not kidding, some gals swear by it! All I know is my skin is so smooth and creamy after one of these facials I can't stop touching it.

So, what's your secret?

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Edited by - clux64 on Oct 09 2008 05:50:54 AM

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  06:01:58 AM  Show Profile
I swear by dry brushing. I have a large wooden handled natural bristled brush in which I dry brush my entire body and lightly brush my face. It increases circulation and aides in lymphatic drainage. Its energizing and invigorating....
I also swear by Burts Bees Deep Cleansing Cream.....and I have oily, problematic skin... it really does the job in keeping me blemish free....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  06:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I do like to use the a nice body scrub followed by some Body Shop body butter in coconut or brazil nut. OH LA LA!! It makes me glow all year around. Also, I take as COLD a shower as possible, even in the winter or else I become a dried up prune with scaly skin ( I swear I have more dry skin than a normal person) and dry hair. ICKY!! Also, I have an old bathrobe and thick knee socks and I rub any kind of oil all over and wrap up and let it soak in. I usually do this like a lazy Sunday morning. I try to leave it all on for about an hour.

I use Burt's Bees lip balm, mascara and a little cover up daily.

Pluck them eyebrows..that can make me look awake and feel perty!!!

Going to try that Miracle Whip trick and the drying brushing!!! Boy, hubby will just love to see that...he laughs when I am in the shower, covered in body scrub and sloughing away but he sure likes my SMOOOOOTH skin afterwards.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  06:38:42 AM  Show Profile
For dry or cracked hands or feet, take some vaseline (or vegetable shortening), put it on right before bedtime, and put on cotton socks and gloves. It'll make those overworked hands/feet soft n smooth.

Make sure that you wash off any makeup before going to bed so your pores don't get clogged.

Oil Of Olay has been my friend for many years. I use it before applying makeup every day to ward off those 'character lines'.

When you shower or bathe, make sure that the water is not too hot, as it will end up dehydrating your skin. Always apply lotion immediately after toweling off.

Olive oil makes a great deep hair conditioner. I like to warm it up, apply it to my hair and put on a shower cap so the heat from my scalp helps it soak in. Then after 15-20 minutes shampoo it out.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  07:10:46 AM  Show Profile
I love washing my face in honey . . . since I started doing this my PH levels seem to have leveled out, so my skin is never dry or oily . . . no more flaking, just wonderful soft skin. And if you accidently don't get it all, at least it tastes good! LOL!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  07:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you need your eye brows groomed and darkened you can just swipe them with your mascara once really light. The comb will groom the eyebrows and leave just a little mascara behind to darken. The mascara also helps to keep the eyebrows where you put them!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  07:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh and here is another one-

To help soften feet put a nice nourishing lotion on and then put clean cotton socks on! You can do this before bed or if you are like me, you can put it on in the morning and let the lotion soak in all day.

I just put some of my AWarmHeart Body Balm on my feet and put on some clean white socks. My feet actually feel warmer (I am freezing right now) and as an added benefit- my hands are soft and so are my lips! (I always have to put some body balm on my lips!)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  07:58:52 AM  Show Profile
For all you young people out there who pluck your eyebrows, a word of advice. Don't pluck too thin, because when you get older, you will have none. I did it and I have very thin brows and my hair is light so it looks like I don't have any brows at all now. I wish I had never plucked them. In fact, my boyfriend at the time told me I shouldn't. I guess I should have listened to him.

Also, my uncle now, he used olive oil reliously and never wrinkled. And our family is wrinkly. I need to start using it, too.

Ya'll have some really good things to try here. Thanks for posting this, Celeste.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  09:45:09 AM  Show Profile
Another thing: as an esthetician, I swear by sunscreen. Did you know that skin cancer is the THIRD largest cancer killer out there?? Use at least an SPF of 15 EVERY DAY!

Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide lie on top of the skins surface and physically deflect sun's rays away from skin. Neither of these ingredients should cause an allergic reaction and you can't get more natural than zinc oxide.

Are you still thinking that tanning beds are safe? The same light that is generated in beds is generated outside.... and the most common age for you die hard tanning bed goers to develop a skin cancer is your 20's.

Skin Cancer affects 1 out of every 5 Americans.

There is NO SUCH THING as SPF 45, 50 or higher. It is a marketing gimmick to entice you to spend more money. The only protection you need is available in an SPF 30. (Dr. Torok my derm)

It only takes about a teaspoon to cover your face and neck and 1-3 tablespoons to cover your body. Apply 30 minutes prior to sun exposure.

Some skin facts:
Skin is the largest organ of the body. It regulates heat, absorbs nutrients from air, plant matter and chemical product. It detoxifies, and tans to protect against UVA & UVB rays... yet it is the only organ that Americans commonly overlook in self care. We go to a cardiologist for heart, endocrinologiest for kidneys, liver etc... but no one want to see a dermatologist to take care of their skin.... amazing huh?

Skin cancer is a malignant tumor that accounts for 50% of all cancers...

70% of Americans still do not use suncare prevention products

Most cancers appear after the age of 50 but began when you were in your teens...

Basal Cell carcinoma accounts for more than 75% of all skin cancers in USA
(Massey Cancer Center)

DID you Know?
A 20 year old sheds dead skin cells every 14 days vesrus a 50 year old at every 37 days. As we age, skin regeneration slows down giving us a dry, dull or wrinked appearance. In a lifetime we will shed about 44 lbs. of skin!

It is recommended to do a peel at least once a month to slough these dead skin cells off... any alpha or beta hydroxy scrub or lotion will do. I can see why the Miracle Whip thing would work... lactic acid and protein...good for skin!

Skin repairs itself 8x faster between the hours of 2-3am than at any other time. This is why it is so important to get "your beauty rest".

Just some fun stuff I have lying around... I'm a little over the top about skin... which is why I became an esthetician. Sorry I I droned on too much!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane

Edited by - deeredawn on Oct 09 2008 09:49:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  1:32:30 PM  Show Profile
Sorry... did I scare everyone off?? I didnt mean too.....

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile
No! I thought that was very interesting! My family watches our skin for changes after my mom had skin cancer when she was in her 30's. I was a preteen and my face broke out suddenly and quite badly so we went to the dermatologist. There wasn't much he could do for me but while there my mom just mentioned the mole on her shoulder. He looked at it and said he wasn't too worried about it, but took it off anyway. A few days later he called and told her she had cancer and it needed to be taken care of at once. It turns out the cancer was just about to enter her lymph system. They did quite a bit of surgery (it left a bad scar on her shoulder), and oddly enough my face never broke out to that degree again.

Caron

"The Lord is my strength and my shield;my heart trusts in Him" Psalms 29:7

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirl Chapter

Edited by - Caron on Oct 09 2008 2:33:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  3:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Caron,
Nothing "odd" about it! God needed your Mama to be seen by the dermatologist and you were simply the tool to get her there! I guess this is one time it was good that you had acne! Thanks for sharing . . . things like that are so inspirational!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  3:26:19 PM  Show Profile
SO now we shower, put on a clean bra & panties, peel, exfolliate, brush through our hair, brush our teeth, or put them in...lather up with moisturizers head to toe, and sunscreen and lipstick? I'm tired gotta take anap!

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Keep life simple, to Simply live. Life is too short to worry about it.

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Oct 09 2008 6:04:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  5:05:20 PM  Show Profile
Life of a farmgirl aint easy..... we gotta look good, work hard and love harder!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  7:33:42 PM  Show Profile
But keep in mind, between the mayo, the olive oil and the honey, we can at least multi-task and eat at the same time! LOL!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  8:10:32 PM  Show Profile
A great and refreshing face mask is half a very ripe avocado mashed up up with tablespoon of honey. Put mask on & leave there until dry, then rinse off with warm, not hot, water. Leaves my skin looking radiant!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  12:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Putting in a second recommendation for olive oil as a moisturizer. Get the regular, light colored olive oil, not the extra virgin one. Put in about 10 drops of your favorite essential oil, then shake the bottle well. Slap some on after you dry off from the shower. Easy peasy.

If eyeliners and pencils tend to smudge and give you that raccoon look, try doing this instead: apply dark eye color powder (dry) with an flat angle brush to the skin next to and within your lashes. It's a softer look, and tends to stay put longer, especially if you have oily skin around your eyes.

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dasparky
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter; Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  12:38:34 AM  Show Profile
I third the recommendation for olive oil. It is the best moisturizer. I did lots of research on oils when I was formulating my soap recipes. I could spend money on lots of exotic oils but nothing came close to being as moisturizing as olive oil.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  09:03:02 AM  Show Profile
I learned the olive oil trick on accident a couple years ago when we were camping and I forgot any moisturizer. I have used it ever since! It works great!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  09:04:13 AM  Show Profile
P.S. Did you notice, we added avacado to the mix . . . just need some lettuce and we are on the way to a good salad! LOL!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  09:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well, we are what we eat, I guess??? : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  09:10:14 AM  Show Profile
I use olive oil as a makeup remover. I'll start using it as a moisturizer as well after reading all the accolades on the subject. My mother use to swear that the reason that "those Italian girls" had such nice complexions was because they were always bent over a steaming pot of stuff cooked in olive oil. What can I say, my mom sterio-typed alot...but 'those Italian girls' do have nice complexions!

Celeste

--Confucious

Edited by - clux64 on Oct 10 2008 10:45:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  12:45:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm afraid I don't use any food products as beauty supplies...to be honest, it grosses me out to think of smearing mayo on my face and honey seems like it should be on toast or in tea! I like Burts Bees products for my sensitive skin and I just love BareEscentual Bare Minerals for makeup. I guess my beauty tip would be to drink lots of water and eat as cleanly as possible (little or no processed foods) to keep your skin looking good!

Kim
Farmgirl #184
All that we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream....
http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  1:25:12 PM  Show Profile
I hear you Kim (food on you face--ewww!). Just a thought tho--those items (or components thereof) ARE in you beauty products (honey, vegetable oils, milk solids, etc.), they're just in a processed form. It seems like a good, healthful idea to stay away from processed foods as you suggest (not to mention economical), so why not apply the same thinking to what you apply to the outside? After all, your skin is your largest organ. That being said, how do you feel about an egg membrane facial? :)

Celeste

--Confucious

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  1:30:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by clux64

I hear you Kim (food on you face--ewww!). Just a thought tho--those items (or components thereof) ARE in you beauty products (honey, vegetable oils, milk solids, etc.), they're just in a processed form. It seems like a good, healthful idea to stay away from processed foods as you suggest (not to mention economical), so why not apply the same thinking to what you apply to the outside? After all, your skin is your largest organ. That being said, how do you feel about an egg membrane facial? :)

Celeste

--Confucious

I think eggs should be for breakfast...not on my face. And as far as the natural products being in my beauty products, that's just fine with me...And I thank Burts Bees and other companies for allowing me to look nice without having to smell like avocadoes and mayo. I have no problem at all with being a 'natural' consumer instead of being all natural....

Hope that's not a problem for you? ;]

Kim
Farmgirl #184

Edited by - TabithaLenox on Oct 10 2008 1:31:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  1:38:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TabithaLenox

quote:
Originally posted by clux64

Celeste

--Confucious

I think eggs should be for breakfast...not on my face. And as far as the natural products being in my beauty products, that's just fine with me...And I thank Burts Bees and other companies for allowing me to look nice without having to smell like avocadoes and mayo. I have no problem at all with being a 'natural' consumer instead of being all natural....

Hope that's not a problem for you? ;]

Kim
Farmgirl #184

Um....Nope.

Celeste

--Confucious

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Beauty secrets of the 'Lipstick' farmgirl Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page