yarncrazy102
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Diane
Lewiston ID
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  3:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your wonderful greetings! My blank-blank 'puter has been giving me a really hard time these days and I now have a slight disagreement going on with Qwest. Lord knows how much I really dislike 'puters anyway but it's been really tense lately. To answer a few questions and reply to a few comments:

1. "Proof of need" for trucks. Prior to the late 70s/darly 80s, you didn't see many trucks on the road other than those used for "work" - construction, plumbing, farming, etc. Then, some weird thing happened. Everyone was suddenly buying trucks. They needed them to haul their "toys" around, to pack home huge purchases, etc. Now, one sees wee little woman-childs driving around in huge trucks that they need ladders to get into. I suggested a "proof of need" title for trucks to one of our politicians when gas prices hit $3.00 a gallon. He gave me one of those "crazy lady" looks. But, if you think about it, it makes a bit of sense. (No hate letters on this one, please.)

2. Cleveland. When my mom passed in 2000, I went back to Cleveland and the Cleveland I knew and loved just wasn't there anymore. My vision of Cleveland is "A Christmas Story" Cleveland. The movie was filmed there and I that is how I will always envision it. I don't like going to any "big" cities anymore and detest "traffic" greatly.

3. Although we are retired and no longer raise anything other than chaos (4 dogs, 2 cats, 1 daughter, 1 husband x 976 sq ft of living space), I still miss our sheep, goats, chickens, etc. but, especially, our donkey greatly. If we were younger, we would still be at it - it is a life of complete satisfaction even when times are tight.

4. Lewiston. We came here to "retire" as my husband had ranched near Cottonwood in the 70s with his first family. I love it here even when the temps soar over 100 degrees. Unfortunately, Lewiston is changing in ways we don't care for - more big name stores, more people moving here from the Sound/Portland/California areas. And, unfortunately, they are bringing what and why we left the Sound - congestion, traffic, higher prices, etc. And, people are getting crabby. BUT, it's still a wonderful place to live. You may have to look in the other direction more these days, but the other direction is just as nice to look at as the one you turned your head from. Now, if the powers could just justify the why behind a super WalMart than I would be more OK with a new one coming in. Oh, and why they are building it right next door to a Costco. Explain it logically and I'll be fine. But, my life is good, simple, warm, and satisfying. I only lack more hours in the day to do all I want to do in life.

From Cleveland to Idaho - what a ride!
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  4:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Diane, Welcome--there are truly not enough hours in the day. I have been retired for over 7 years now, and I haven't done much of what I intended to do!!!!

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  11:13:37 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Diane, I always thought I might like to retire to Lewiston, spring comes so early down along the river. I have seen some wonderful gardens up there. Sounds like you fit right in here. I guess I will just have to find ways of living that justify always having a pickup. Hate to drive cars. I am thinking about getting a pony and cart.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  09:15:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Diane! So glad you could join us. Welcome, welcome, from one of the Louisiana farm girls!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  09:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Diane! This is a great place!! And I have to say...I'm yet another truck gal! Mines just passing 230,000 miles, leaking oil and sometimes no heat but what would I do without it??? I need that extra room to haul more animals home!!! (my husband would disagree! LOL)

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New, maybe Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page