Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Just when you start to get ahead...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just when you start to get ahead... Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  4:41:17 PM  Show Profile
Doesn't it seem like just when you get comfortable in a budget or start to gain some savings something always happens to mess it up? The prices of everything have been going up, of course, but today we got notice that our monthly house payment is going up $40 (due to an increase in taxes and insurance). Doesn't that figure? It has been hard enough to make ends meet and now I need to readjust the budget. This has been a hard year with car repairs, hubby's tooth repair, needing a new roof, etc. I know $40 doesn't sound like a lot but we were just making ends meet and now this, along with winter coming which means higher gas bills. UGH!!!
-Elizabeth

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  5:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth- I know exactly what you mean! I have had that happen to me several times! However, we always manage to make it through by somehow driving less, or turning the thermostat down and layering more. It often isn't much fun, but hopefully you get an income tax return and that will help? *hugs* I hope you find that extra $40 somewhere!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  5:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I know just what you mean. I just came in from shutting up my hens. I got to thinking, I sure should have got a rooster when I bought my pullets. If things go from bad to worse, I could have hatched my own chickens. Not with out a gentleman in the pen. I think we are just beginning to see what is to come. Gloom, doom. Oh MY.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  5:27:14 PM  Show Profile
I understand that...I have a convertable 2004 Sebring.. Hubby has a 2001 Explorer 4x4 Wouldn't ya know it while my car was beeing fixed..* (the back window had to be replaced which meant a whole new upholstery job for the top.). Hubby's 4x4 was leaking oil.. Then we had a vet bill cause our cockapoo got fox tail in his ear and had to be sedated to remove it... and we had just paid the house payment and our insurance premiums. Thankfully we did have the cash but cross our fingers that nothing else goes bad on my car.. I love it but I think it's time to trade it for a pickup! With the stock market issues and no money coming in.. we pray and count our blessings take each day one at atime.. & trust that what happens is God's will.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Keep life simple, to Simply live. Life is too short to worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  6:23:59 PM  Show Profile
I know you helpless you feel Elizabeth. The gas bills here in northern IL are going up 200% this year! At least they warned us back in July, but we can't do too much about it. Along with all the other price increases that we can't control it is impossible to get ahead these days. It's a good thing I found my long underwear from last winter!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  6:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth,
Several years ago we stopped having our insurance and taxes added to our mortgage and we just pay them ourselves. This does of course mean discipline, but we make the interest on the money we put in to pay for this . . . not the mortgage company. Taxes and insurance will only go up once a year, so the change shouldn't be too unexpected when you pay it all as one lump sum. We pay the insurance once a year and the taxes, because we are a high-tax area, are divided into two payments. Anyway, it does save quite a bit in the long run. You do have to own at least 20% of your home before most mortgage companies will allow this switch though. Just a thought.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  7:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I know here that it seems one step forward and two steps back. Frustrating!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way, you're right." Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  7:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Elizabeth~Our house payment went up 140!!!! Our school district just passed super bond for a new school and so the taxes went up, and then we live in a log cabin, and for some reason insurance is high on that. I told my DH that next year I want to go ahead and have the escrow stopped through the mortgage company....like the earlier post, it will keep money in our pockets, not the mortgage company's. Hope that all ends up ok for you though!

Samantha

www.myspace.com/elphie0503

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.~~Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just when you start to get ahead... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page