julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  3:55:45 PM  Show Profile
I've been promising you an update for a really long time! My, where do the days go? Let me tell you that we had a GLORIOUS summer. We played and swam every single day. We had virtually no illness and Aria felt great for weeks and weeks and weeks. Her hair is growing back and it looks beautiful. She had a full head of hair when she was born so I'd never seen her head bald. Her hair started growing back very much like I would imagine a newborn's hair to be. It is the same color as before, perhaps a little lighter and the same texture. No surprises there. She's been going to preschool 3 days a week and liking it ok. She's a total home-body but school is fun.

Well, you know that when school starts so do the bugs along with the change of seasons. We all started having a cold about 2 weeks ago. It was no big deal, runny nose, cough but no fevers. Well last week Aria's cold was lingering on and I noticed on Thursday that she just wasn't herself. Friday rolled around and she kept having this fluctuating low grade fever. It would be 99, then normal, then 100, then normal and so on. This was going on all day long. I just kept watching her. When her temp hits 100.4 or above, then we go to the ER. It never got there but sure came close a few times. I was edgy. Saturday morning it was the same thing and I was bracing myself for an ER run. Sure enough, by 1 00 or so, her temperature hit 101.8 and off we went. She was admitted shortly after.

I'll mention that by the time we got to the ER (abt 20 minute drive) she had a normal temperature and it has remained normal this entire time. Her "counts", which mostly reflect her white blood cells, which are what help fight infection, were way way low. Aria's counts need to be somewhere around 1000. In the ER they were 35! YIKES.. The next day they were 9! Yeah, she pretty much had NO immune system. So we hunkered down in the hospital. If you didn't know her situation, you'd never know she was sick. She was cheerful and upbeat the entire time. It was amazing! They did a chest x-ray on her concerned that she may have a pneumonia but thank heaven, she doesn't. She's just dealing with some virus. The thing about Aria and pesky little colds is that it ends up being more severe since her immune system is so compromised due to her chemo. This is just the normal thing that happens. I tell you, regardless, it is a total stressful drag!!

Her counts are still low 140, but her doctor was willing to let us go home and take it easy. She's doing great! I think she's so so SO happy to be home! I know I'm over to moon to have her home again. It is just too weird walking into her room and not having her there. I know she is fine in the hospital with her Dada staying with her, but it just drives it home how seriously sick she is when her room feels so empty.

I'll also add that being in the hospital is difficult. We are surrounded by people going through various things related to their child's cancer. One family was getting their daughter stable enough to make the trip home so she can die there. She is 8 years old. Another family is dealing with a second cancer in their son. Another family is dealing with a relapse....etc...etc... It is very very hard and oh, so very sad.

Still, I look at Aria, and she's so magnificent. She guides me to this place that reminds me, "Hey Mama, no matter what is surrounding you, I'm ok." and she is.

Farmgirls, thank you for keeping us so close. It means so so so much to me!! We still have a long road ahead...We're fast approaching our 9th month of treatment and she still has about 18 months left to go! That is still so beyond my comprehension most of the time!

I'll mention that I'm getting a new satellite installed next week. My current one has been really intermittent and I can't seem to download pictures. As soon as I am able, I will post some so you can see Aria!

Thanks again so very much. My love to you all! ~julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  4:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Bright and shining blessing to you Julia and to Aria too. I'm glad that she is home from the hospital but sorry that she is sick and her immune is so low. Your family sounds so well balanced and brave. I'm always amazed at your matter of fact put on your cowgirl boots and deal with it attitude. You are an amazing woman. Thank you for letting us know about Aria and how she is doing. I hope you are holding up *hug* and doing well.

Much love to you and your family
Annika
Farmsister #13
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  5:24:34 PM  Show Profile
What a strong girl! I'm so proud of the attitude she has had. She is definatly a role model. Her younger siblings may not realize it yet but they sure have a lot to look up to in their big sis! Way to go Aria! Hope that virus gets gone soon!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  6:10:25 PM  Show Profile
Julia - thank you so much for the update on Aria. What a blessing that she is doing so well. I am just so happy for you and for her. Children are so amazing with their strength and attitudes - I could certainly take a lesson from Aria.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  6:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Annika, you are so sweet and generous with your compliments of me as well as your confidence in me. I must tell you that I'm not always so matter of fact. I'm often like a fish, flopping around outside of its watery home, gasping for life. I write about this journey weekly and sometimes daily, detailing all the little things that happen, all the feelings that are triggered, all the profound moments I encounter and feel compelled to incorporate into my psyche and process. If you'd like a sample of these writings, they come in the form of emails that I send to family and friends keeping everyone up-to-date, I would be so happy to include you on my list. Just send me an email. I'll warn you, they're often long...and I'm sure hard to read. I'm amazed anyone takes the time and yet many do. It is such a comfort to me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kindness. It means so much!

Julie! You are such a sweetheart too. Reo, who is Aria's big brother at 7 yrs, is so amazing. He is nothing but a comfort to Aria. Rianna, who will be 2 in December is the comic relief to the circus I call my family. Aria truly is a guide. I've always said, even from her birth, that she was an old soul and indeed she is. She reminds me to be real. When she's frightened, she lets me know. When she's sad, I know that too. She's mainly focused, however, on being a kid and having fun and enjoying the moment of every single day. She reminds me that the moment is a gift. I'm learning to take that gift and place it deep in my own soul for nourishment and growth. I find being her mother the greatest honor I have ever known. ~julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  6:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Julia! You and your whole family are magnificent! Honestly- you amazing! Aria is amazing! I imagine myself in your shoes and I am not sure I could function! Please let Aria know that she has a lot of people in Wyoming and Montana thinking about her and hoping she better soon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4216 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4216 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  6:56:57 PM  Show Profile
I hope your daughter bounces back fast.

Enjoy life

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  8:52:27 PM  Show Profile
hugs and prayers going up that Aria's counts go back up to a good reading.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  04:11:21 AM  Show Profile
Prayers are being said for Aria and you, Julia! She is such a hero. I keep her picture (from one you posted here) on my refrigerator and I "talk" to her every day. She is always in my thoughts. Much love to you both,

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  07:49:16 AM  Show Profile
It's always a welcome sight to see a posting from you Julia. Aria is never far from my thoughts on a daily basis. This journey, with it's ups and downs is so familiar. Knowing the strides that have been made in treatment over the years, I have no doubts about a positive outcome. Being the old soul is likely a huge help in allowing Aria to accept her treatments. I would suspect she is fighting with all her might.
Thanks so much for the update.
My caring hugs to all.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  08:19:09 AM  Show Profile
love and hugs to u sweetie!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  08:41:48 AM  Show Profile
I have been thinking of you and Aria. I am so glad she is doing so well! What a little warrior. Thank you so much for sharing this update, and I will keep oraying for you each day! Hugs to you all in your family.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  12:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Julia,
I am pretty new here and just wanted to say that your daughter sounds wonderful. I'm so sorry to hear that she is fighting such a terrible illness.
Praying here for both of you and your whole family.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  2:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I am so glad to hear that Aria is home!!! She is a beautiful little girl! I can't wait to see new pics! I will keep your family in my prayers!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  5:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Julia, thank you for the update. I'm glad Aria is home and feeling better. You are in my daily prayers. Hugs, J

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  6:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Aria & your family is in my thoughts and prayers too. I hope Aria feels better.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  08:48:55 AM  Show Profile
Julia, I'm happy to see a post from you and I'm very glad that Aria is doing better and out of the hospital. I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I get strength and encouragement from hearing about you and Aria and your positive attitudes as I'm dealing with similiar issues with my mother. I hope that the rest of this process goes well and that Aria continues to feel better. Hugs and warm thoughts to you all!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Aria home from the hospital! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page