Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Non attachment and the simple life...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Non attachment and the simple life... Next Topic
Page: of 2

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  09:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am just not someone to be so attached to something that I could not give it away freely (other than my hubby, son and my pictures (you can have the frames) and my wedding ring and I love my Jeep) you can have anything else. It is just stuff. My neighbor stopped by to see what all the banging was about (I told you I was tearing this house apart) and she was SHOCKED at the things I am letting go of...mostly what would be considered heirlooms to some but it is just stuff for me. I let go of my attachment to "things" at a young age, when at 16 I donated 90% of my bedroom "stuff" to a local charity yard sale for the Humane Society. My mother just about flipped but I was peaceful and happy. I know this is all directly in some way related to my mother and father's hoarding tendency but I care truly declare that this is who I am supposed to be. This is where I feel at most ease and happy. Simple, clean, pretty but relaxing feel with a heavy emphasis on great food, friendships and living life and not being held back by "stuff" or worrying if someone stops by, the house isn't clean or organized enough. That was a marking point in my quest for a simple life. Moving around a lot in my later life, my friends loved to help me move because it consisted of loading my car with the small stuff and loading one pick up truck of furniture and awkward stuff like my bike. I have moved out and moved back in less than 4 hours before. After living with a very materialistic and image driven roomate, it reconfirmed my belief in the simple life. Now, I just am able to handle the comments with a non chalant whatever, rather than before when I used to make up excuses or whatever. It is who I am.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  11:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- I think that is awesome. Keep up the great work in getting your life to work for you! I like to have lots of things like crafting supplies and blankets. I am more of a "denner" than an "Adventurer" I think. But isn't it great that different things can make different people happy?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  11:22:06 AM  Show Profile
I am sort of on both ends of this spectrum. One one end, I like all the cluttery stuff that sits all over my house. But if you were to fast forward 10 years, and we're living in our future little tiny barn, I have no problem envisioning my bed, kitchen table and few dishes, and my clothes that go good with whatever environs we'll be in. In other words, when the house gets smaller my stuff will go away and I'm totally okay with that. So maybe to sum I'd say I like the look of the stuff, but I'm not attatched to it at all.
P~

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  3:11:01 PM  Show Profile
My childhood home burned down about 4 years ago, and I hold onto everything saved that was mine or my sister's from childhood. One thing that I learned from reading feng shui books, is that it is important to get rid of anything that gives you a bad feeling or memory. Last Christmas I gave away all of the Hallmark Snoopy series ornaments I had collected with my ex-husband, because they made me feel sad and reminded me of all the time I wasted with him. I gave them to my best friend that loves Snoopy, she enjoys them without all the baggage.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
http://adventuresofowenmaxwell.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  4:34:24 PM  Show Profile
My grandmother was a hoarder and my mom is dangerously close to becoming one, and I think that having to live in their messes made the opposite way. I've got a handful of things that I have an emotional attachment to, but there's not a whole lot in my house that I would grieve over if I lost it tomorrow. My husband and I have moved around fairly regularly, too, and that has helped us to keep the non-necessities to a minimum.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  09:07:18 AM  Show Profile
I don't think you're alone Heather. The older I get the shorter my "must keep" list gets. Somewhere I read that clutter can make people feel uneasy, less settled and discontented. I do think that is true, at least for me. And, when that happens I sweep through the house, garage and outside getting rid of stuff that I haven't used for a long time. I always feel so much freer and relaxed afterwards.

I find myself really thinking about what I bring into my house and life. If it has to be dusted, dry cleaned or maintained in someway or is not useful in my farmgirl pursuits (like canning or livestock equip) I really think twice about it. And, I have certainly grown out of the shopping for entertainment thing - thank GOD! Now shopping bores me, unless it's a farm supply store

I'm with you, I know what is important in my life and "stuff" ain't on the list.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  09:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am just doing this today with my clothes. I fill half a bin with stuff I don't L O V E!!! It might be cute...but for someone else. I rather not look at it each day.

I am almost done with my closet and thought I didn't have any cute, nice clothes but after organizing it and keeping just what I love, I realized all I have to buy is some new jeans and one pair of shoes. YEAH!!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  10:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok...I will have to charge my camera and take a pic for all ya'll but I just organized my closet by color...guess what color pops up the most??? P I N K!!! HA!!! I have a lot of white, black,brown, pink and turquoise with some odd colors on the end. HA!!! I swear I don't need to buy another turquoise stretchy thin t shirt for years. : ) I like my closet this way,,,it is fun and different from my usually organized by length and item style of doing things. See...things are changing!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  12:44:57 PM  Show Profile
I am sort of a hoarder :( I have way too much stuff and am trying to sort it out. If I am in a frenzy I throw stuff out easily. But other times I just hoard.

My bedroom still is a mess, and every day I promise myself: today is THE day I am going to sort thru all the stuff etc.
But tomorrow I HAVE to because we will have a junk market this Saturday from church, and they are collecting things tomorrow afternoon. SO HAVE to do sorting and stuffing in boxes so i can put it outside. Will gimme some space, lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  12:46:56 PM  Show Profile
I think I am with Paige . . .I love the clutter farm house look, but I am really not strongly attached to anything anymore. I just gave some friends a dining table this weekend, that I know I could have sold, but they needed it and the feelings that come with generousity are so much better than any money could buy. If I know someone really loves something, odds are it will eventually end up being theirs! Having dealt in antiques for a long time, I am now to the point of realizing things are just things, so letting go is easy. But I certainly have a lot of things to let go of! LOL!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  1:20:40 PM  Show Profile
I think I just don't enjoy change. I like the stuff I have..much of it from my grandma..or friends and I feel sentimental about it all. I am irritated by clutter..but as long as I live in a small house with 4 kids still at home I will have clutter to some extent I guess. I Don't add new items to my farmhouse clutter very often anymore like I did when I was younger. I am content with what I have. My mom sent an antique butter churn (the glass jar kind) for my birthday and I was HAPPY to add that. I love it, but wouldn't have went out looking for another one (I do have one already..a gift from a friend) I just don't go shopping much to add things.
I could let go of alot of stuff I am sure. I am thinking when the kids are grown (the youngets is 11 and 1/2) I could easily pare down and be pleased.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  09:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am going through what I have left of my Beanie Babies and honestly, I only want the one's I originally started out with. The collection grew to over 200 when family members became obsessed with getting me a new one. Seriously, I had about 15 bears and a few other I really L O V E D, but people insisted on buying them for me. Last year, I donated almost half to a hospital charity for the kids ward. They were all clean and still had their tags on them (all in their little tag protectors). I was just organizing what I had left and purged about 20 more. I kept a few special, like the Texas one, my Patriotic ones and a few others. The rest can go. I know my family would FREAK out if they knew what was going on, but again, it's my life and I need to be true to me.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  12:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
simplify,simplify, simplify. Words to live by.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  8:14:05 PM  Show Profile
Clean lines and the simple life sound great to me. Whatever makes you happy, do it!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  03:25:51 AM  Show Profile
The only materialistic items I really cling to over the ages would have to be our photos and my stereo system.

Sound odd?. I worked my butt off for 6 very long a painful years for that system. It was a gift from my folks. The speakers are huge and can carry an awesome thump for when I;m in one of those moods.

For the photos, wish we could afford one of those big fireproof gun safes.

A few times a year I purge the house and barns and donate to a Habitat for Hunamity thrift store and cloting to Good Will.

Amazing how it accumulates so quickly.

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  07:20:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm guilty of books and canning jars. Heather I am so impressed that at 16 you were bale to see beyond all the stuff. i wish I could pass that down to my Niece and her kids, who must have everything and the shoes! I've been home for a over a week now and too busy canning to work much on the interior of the house. A bit of a spending spree actually buying plants that prove I am staying home and finding a job local. the purge will come by years end. I have some boxes I meant to deal with and have just moved around from house to house and the desk! It drives me crazy to sit down and not find anything because of all the electronic stuff. ugh. You are all an inspiration.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  07:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Lol, I too am guilty of books and canning jars. Never can have too many, right, Laurie, : )

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  08:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Laurie- please don't be impressed. I grew up in a packrat family that put stuff before family. I learned that lesson VERY early on. : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  08:53:05 AM  Show Profile
The trouble is... I can't always decide what I can't live with sometimes .. then Dh says "If you want something new or bringing something else you LOVE to have or think You NEED.... Something has to go OUT"
It has made me more picky about what I really DO NOT NEED... * It is his home too and I appreciate the respect he gives me for making it a Home for us... he is right....

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Keep life simple, to Simply live. Life is too short to worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  09:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am very lucky that hubby is very much like me in keeping things simple. He would also buy me ANYTHING but I just do not desire it. We made a decision, after we stayed at a nice extended stay hotel, that we want something simple and beachy. He did notice that I spent WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY to much time cleaning just stuff and was always stressed. He would want to go for a bike ride and I would be stressing over the dust on everything. So we eliminated the problem. I do have a bin in my closet that I keep for if I like things but don't want them out right now or say during the holidays. It keeps me sane.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  09:50:19 AM  Show Profile
Books, books, and more books. I have read them all but can't get rid of them. I have given away sets of books several times. Don't seem to mind that but can't get rid of a good mystery novel. I have a few old family pieces in my 4 china cabinets. I treasure them but will be glad to pass them on toson and daughter when they are ready for them. Already sending home a piece or two with my daughter when she is here. I didn't come from a family of horders but Mom never cleaned out a drawer. Never got rid of anything from old bras to 35 year old birth announcements. In the same drawer, I might add. That is where I excell. Every drawer in the house is cleaned out at least every 3 months. And the worst place in the house is usually under the sink. Mine is painted white and every thing is in a neat little basket.

My other weakness is food. Have lots. Can cook a meal for 50, this afternoon without going to the store. So come on over!!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  09:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
OH Belle...I will be right there... : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  10:45:44 AM  Show Profile
Dang, and I was just in kansas a few weeks ago for my nieces new born son. I'd have stopped over for a good meal. :)

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  1:15:17 PM  Show Profile
Heather and Laurie, What fun we could have!!! And you could go home with sacks of apples, tomatoes and Bellpeppers, of course. Having fresh greenbeans for supper tonight, you might have time to get here. Well, probably not. Shucks!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  03:24:20 AM  Show Profile
I used to clean house for a friend.
Oh, they paid me very well, but I couldn't handle the clutter.

I mean knicknaks in EVERY corner on every surface even on the floor in corners that chould have had nothing in them! It was all the tedious dusting that probably broke me.

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  06:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh fresh greenbeans..my favorite!! I do not like canned or frozed but give me a give fresh green bean with a little bacon and onions and salt and pepper and oh my I am a happy girl.

Anna- sounds like you were cleaning my Mom's house!! HA!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Non attachment and the simple life... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page