Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  08:27:42 AM  Show Profile
Since I am on a strict budget this year and I know most of us probably are...I was hoping to make most of my gifts this year. I have 3 nephews ranging in age: 19, 10, 8 years and a son 13. The girls will get kool-aid jammer purses trimmed with boas. Hubby, brothers, and dad will be getting food (I want to try beef jerky). Any ideas?

"Love one another."

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  12:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
We did coupons one year. My father-in-law got 8 hours of work around the house (done by my husband as it wouldn't have been much help coming from me!). My mother-in-law got a day with me a craft village, lunch included (which gave me time to save up for the lunch). I forget what my brother- and sister-in-law got but it was along similar lines. It was a big hit, saved us money and the money we spent we were able to save for instead of one big hit in the pocketbook at Christmas time.

I've also done coupon books for my husband. I'll do a couple of several different kinds like special meal of your choice, backrub upon request, "show of your choice" (for those times when he wants to watch something I don't!), etc.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:01:16 AM  Show Profile
Hey Karen,
Thank you for the idea. I believe that would work for the grown ups, I still need to think of something for the kids though. Hmmm.....let me see......think, think, think......

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:31:29 AM  Show Profile
Coupons could still work for kids!

Their currency!

What is something "they" like to "do", that is not a object.

One thing, I can think of off the top of my head, is Chuck E Cheese has a coupon at coupon mountain, for 10.00 for 100 tokens. Also a coupon for 19 dollar large pizza, 4 drinks, and I think another 40 tokens.

I know it sounds like a lot, of money.......but maybe, just maybe, is that too much between the 8 and 10 year old together? You could go and buy the tokens like this week. And have them. Then you could give your SIL the coupon to Chuck E Cheese, and a gift card for that amount-19.00, and the 100 tokens-that would give each kid 60 tokens. For around 29 dollars-with pizza, tokens, and drinks? 14.50 each? However, you may want to give a 30 dollar gc for the tax to be included, I'm not sure. Still would be 15 each.

And all games are only 1 token at Chucke's so that's a lot of games-60 tokens each. And they would get pizza and soda too.

The 19 year old is harder. Although to be quite honest, my husband is 28 and would be just as happy as the 8 and 10 year old for some one to pay for him to go to chuck e cheese too! lol hahaha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:36:49 AM  Show Profile
oh ps used to I could get free gift certicates to chuck e cheese through clicking on email advertisements. I paid absolutely nothing. But, that program doesn't exsist any more. BUT, there may be others. You may want to look around for "free" gift certicates. Like some times target gives away 5 dollar ones if you buy certain paper towels, or toilet paper, etc. I bet if we looked hard enough there's some stuff like that out there. Combine them with the coupons at coupon mountain......and then it stretches the gift certificate-gc even further.

Also what about pepsi points? is there any way you can collect pepsi bottles (not ones you have to drink, I collect the caps any time I see one on the ground even though I don't drink soda). And you can turn these in on amazon I believe for music! So if you could collect enough you could give them over the points, and the 19 year old could choose the music he cashes your points in for.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:43:52 AM  Show Profile
oh beef jerkey for the 19 year old would be perfect! They are men! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  7:55:59 PM  Show Profile
pillowcases make great gifts. you can personalize them with fabric geared toward the recipients likes. this year all my neices and nephew will get them. my nephews will get football themed cases,etc. i wait till the flannel goes on sale and stock up. this year i will make 7 cases for around 27.00. i don't know about your neck of the woods but here we have craft warehouse and they will give you a free pattern in the yardgoods section if you ask. have fun!

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein

Edited by - homergirl1957 on Oct 13 2008 8:28:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  09:33:37 AM  Show Profile
You know I made a simple quilt for my SIL for her birthday and she said her kids (17 yo boy and 15 yo girl) were trying to steal it from her. So that might be an idea for the boys. Use fabric that relates to their favorite things. You can find fabric at the thrift stores for less. Good luck.

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:08:35 AM  Show Profile
Try homemade jammie bottoms. All the cool kids are wearing today. They even wear them to school.

Sherone
Independent Avon Representative

http://www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/

http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Boys in the family would probably like some sleeping/lounge pants. You can get the patterns for lounge pants at Wal-Mart.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  9:32:56 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies. You all have given me some great ideas to try. I appreciate all of your help.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Humberd Customs
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Kelly
Cleveland TN
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  6:35:50 PM  Show Profile

Oh the season of Thanksgiving followed closely by the celebration of our Lord's birth.

The ideas posted are great; it has been a long time since I did a coupon book and am not sure how that will work with my family being so far away and my In-Laws so near. I'm still figuring out how to fit in here, although having MJ Farmgirls is super helpful and so encouraging, thank you all.

On to the gift topic:
1. a lady told me that they limited gifts to 3, just like Jesus received.
2. my sister and I have stated that we only want hand made from each other because of the love that goes into the time and making whatever it is. She shares Jesus birthday and every year she appreciates this more than anything she gets.
3. money is scarce and will be spent on the necessities first, on materials to make those love filled gifts, and lastly on postage getting them to those who are so far away.

I am making ear warmers, knit/crochet beanie caps, scarves, and the like this year. Last year (when I had a job) I purchased a ton of yarn and this year (jobless okay not jobless, the part time work does help) I am happy to have it all to fill my hands with work or better yet a LABOR OF LOVE that will warm the ones who wear them.

I am looking into getting an etsy site too and am willing to make things for MJ Farmgirls to purchase or trade for also.

Other ideas that I will try in the future will be to have a scrap booking party before the holidays so that everyone can make something for the ones they love.
I'd love to put one of those calendar maker programs to good use customizing a family birthday, anniversary, life celebration calendar that has everyones dates through the year so that it is easy to keep up with the large families we have merged since our wedding last year (today 03 Nov). Jon is sitting behind me practicing on his guitar, and it sounds so wonderful! I knew he piddled with the stringged thing, but didn't know he could play a tune! One of those marriage ah-ha's that comes with spending precious moments together.

Okay back to gifts... I'll just have to watch this post and update mine when the idea's hit --
Oh one just hit - instead of focusing on what to give my family that is so blessed with much abundance anyway, in their name I could donate to a cause, or "Operation Christmas Child", or I just found out there are orphanages in a city very near my home perhaps I'll find out what is needed to keep up all those babies that don't have families to spend the holidays with. Going to the nursing homes and helping them to decorate or something/anything to raise the holiday spirit. The ideas are really flowing and more meaningful than the ones I listed previously.

God bless and keep us all in the coming years.

Kelly Humberd

Proverbs 31:10-31
May we all be blessed.
KDH
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  3:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Last year I did family baskets. I sent a plastic decorated bowl with microwave popcorn, a couple of rental gift certificates for movies, a Baskin Robbins ice cream coupon for each person in the family, a few chocolate treats- the whole thing was less than $20. I try to alternate every other year with individual and family gifts.

This year I am working on pens and matching stationary and cards for the moms, TV blankets or winter hats for the boys, jewelry for the girls, food for the dads. Everything is homemade for the most part this year.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  1:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Sewing.org has a fishing vest, toiletry bag, cable cache, a man's travel set, and a sturdy tool wrap. Other ideas could be scarves made out of flannel or fleece, homemade goodies like fudge and salsa, coasters with their initials on them, arm chair cozies (the kind that a remote and a drink can and a TV guide and fit into), neck warmers (fleece tubes that they pull over their heads and wear around their neck), flannel boxers, and how about lining a pair of their work jeans with flannel?

Julie
West-Central WI Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  06:17:42 AM  Show Profile
I'm making a scarf in the football team color a few folks really like. My brother, who likes to cook, is getting pot holders with his team colors and school initial.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  10:03:31 AM  Show Profile
For kids I would give them time. Tell the younger kids you'll take them to a $1 movie. The older go on a double date and pay. Just some thoughts.

Blessings!
~Farrah
http://homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/
http://oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  09:51:18 AM  Show Profile
Ditto on the pillowcases. Shop Goodwill, thrift stores, etc. for the fabrics to save big bucks. When my nephews were into Scooby Do, I found a 6 yard piece for $3. My nephews beg for pillowcases!!! ( I didn't give them ones for Confirmation figuring they were getting too old, you would have thought I had thrown away their favorite ball caps!)

Other ideas that are cheap: Offer to host a sledding party for their friends later in the winter. Hot chocolate, snow, music, and sleds are all that's needed.

A flashlight and batteries of their very own.

Coupons to haul them around to extra events.

For what it's worth!
Have a good holiday season!
Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  3:54:11 PM  Show Profile
I found that fleece throws with their names embroidered on them were a BIG hit with teenage boys. I did that a couple of years ago and they still use them when they watch movies or play video games and it's chilly. I got the fleece throws for about 5.00 apiece at believe it or not - the grocery store. I have an embroidery machine so the embroidery was easy but you could easily do it by hand.
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Christmas Gift Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page