Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Preventative Colonoscopy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Preventative Colonoscopy Next Topic  

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  3:00:29 PM  Show Profile
Wanna hear a true story? its about me. I am 45, soon to be 46 yrs old. My husband has acid reflux issues, so after seekign care with the rpimary care, we went to a gastro. The gastro wanted to do an endoscopy and colonscopy. He is 47 yrs. He did his exams, both cam back ok. During the course of finding out hats wrong with Wendell, my dad wanted to knwo the next procedure, etc... When I told Daddy about the colonoscpy, he told me about his, he is 71, saying that he has polyps removed but they are always benign. When the Dr asked me after Wendells sx while wheeling him to his recovery room, do you know what a colonoscopy and removal of polyps means?, I said yes, that my dad has his colonoscpy and has polyps removed every five yrs. (Daddy is now on the three yr plan). Dr said to me, you should have a screening even though you are not 50 for family history. I scheduled the exam. They found two polyps. Dr said not to worry, he was sure they were not cancer, but possible pre cancerous. He called me two days later. They were cancer. They got it all but guess who is on the 3 yr plan? If you guessed me, you would be right. Istn it funny, being in the right place at the right time, and being asked the right questions, but also important knowing the family history. This nasty little exam may have saved me from wearing a bag for the rest of my life or perhaps may have saved it.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  3:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Kim you must be blessed. Women very rarely worry about colon cancer but thankfully you have a good practioner that was actually looking out for your best interest even though you were not the one seeking the care. THat is a rare find these days. Kudos to your doc! You better cherish him.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  3:12:30 PM  Show Profile
Kim, 3 years ago my best friend passed away from colon cancer, she was just 51. The doctor told her that she had probably had cancer for 2 years prior to the diagnosis, which was already stage 4 at time of diagnosis. She had absolutley NO symptoms until she felt a lump under her rib cage, this was cancer tumors on her liver. They did surgery for the colon cancer (small tumor) and chemo for the liver tumors but to no avail. My doctor reccommends a baseline colonoscopy at age 45, not 50 as most doctors do, if my friend had had this done the cancer would have been caught and possibly treated successfully. You're right it is a nasty little exam but it beats the alternative. Congratulations on getting it done. I'm on the five year plan.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  11:10:56 PM  Show Profile
YOu know what? I am really glad you posted this. With my health junk the past year or so (breathing problems and then the thyroid stuff) I wasn't excited about my doctor wanting to schedule me for a colonoscopy and planned to just put it off.I am just sick of tests and doctor visits and all. Guess maybe I shouldn't do that.(put it off I mean)
I am so glad you had yours!!!! I will go ahead and schedule.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Oct 03 2008 11:11:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  03:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh tell me about it!

Both my parents have had polyps removed, and my mom's dad died of colon cancer.

As a result, I have been on the 5 year plan too since I turned 30, and I'm only 38!. Last year Dad and I had ours done at the same place at the same time.

How's that for quality family time???
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  12:17:24 PM  Show Profile
I just spoke with my primary, he told me of another pt (no names)that at age 35, she is loosing or maybe lost, 2/3 of her colon.
I thought I would share my now daily diet: 30 min of exercise every day, mettamucil, folic acid, calcium (caltrate)2 x daily, one baby aspirin, vitamin b, low fat, little red meat, more raw veggies. Thing is though, they say the above may help prevent. Sounds to me that they really dont know for sure,

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  06:44:40 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I've been ignoring it even tho the dr tells me every year I need to have it, after reading this I'm convinced, I"ll get it scheduled.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  5:31:00 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne...Please have this test done, it's not pleasant but neither is dieing of cancer like my friend.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  3:21:18 PM  Show Profile
I did it, was glad I did. I had just watched a 35 year old woman die of colon cancer in our hospital. I had one polyp and my mind has one less thing to worry about.

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  03:41:33 AM  Show Profile
Had a 50 yr old friend who had her first one a few years ago. Her polyps were cancerous.

She was able to have a section of her intestine removed just to be sure. She is fine now.

Scary stuff

And what's even scarier is my dad's best friend was a staunch vegitarian a-naturalle and ended up dying from colon cancer! Mr. twigs and berries never saw this one coming.

I think like certin forms of breast cancer, some are just genitically linked and we are predisposed anyway!

High fiberous foods certinly help, but we have to also be responsible and take precautionary measures, even if its really expensive too.
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  11:08:50 AM  Show Profile
I am 47 now but about 6 years ago I had a change in bowel habits. Went to the doctor and he put me on fiber pills. This only masked the problem. Finally 2 years later I went to a different doctor and he insisted that I have colonoscopy. Well I am glad I did because they found a polyp that was to big to remove and I had to have colon resection. It was stage two colon cancer. I was lucky enough not to need chemo or radiation. But let me tell you HAVE THE TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It saved my life. Only you know your body and if you feel that something is wrong take charge and don't just put your life in the hands of a doctor! They are human too! and make mistakes. Trust yourself. I did and it saved my life. DON'T BE AFRAID to talk about colon cancer. It is the only preventable cancer. All you need is a colonoscopy. Since this has happened to me my life has changed in almost every way. It is how I found Mary Janes Farm. By taking control of my life and pursueing other life styles than what you see on television. Organics and whole grains are an everyday part of my life now. This has become my passion and I hope this helps someone out there struggling right now! God Bless this forum for letting people share their experiences that may help someone else!

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  12:17:24 PM  Show Profile
hmmm, 3 years, and they were cancer????? Isn't that long time in between?

I had it the first time when I was 14. I only get on the 5 year plan, if I go a full 3 years with out cancer! First time they find cancer, I'm on the 3 month plan! Checked every 3 months, when they no longer find cancerous polyps then I go to 6 months, if in 6 months no cancer, I can wait a year, if in the year no cancer, then I get to wait 3 years, if no cancer then, I can wait 5 years.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  12:07:08 PM  Show Profile
WOW, the reponse to this posting is amazing. I am glad so many of my 'sisters' are getting this done. According to my Dr, this type is slow growing. My primary agreed. Now my daughters have to have their firsts 10 yrs prior to my diagnoses. That makes them 35 unless that rule changes as the older they get.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Preventative Colonoscopy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page