Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Rubbing Alcohol and Peppermint for Nausea
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Rubbing Alcohol and Peppermint for Nausea Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  10:05:46 PM  Show Profile
I learned two new "homeopathic" ways to combat nausea this week!

I had gallbladder surgery a week ago Monday, and the hardest part has been dealing with nausea caused by the anesthesia and prescribed pain medications.

While I was still in the recovery room, I had the worst nausea I have ever had in my life, and the drug the nurse injected me with that was supposed to help made it even worse. Another nurse took a simple alcohol prep pad, opened it, and had me take a deep sniff. Poof! Nausea diminished! (Not exactly an herbal remedy, but at least it's homeopathic.)

Later in the week, during another awful bout of nausea, I tried dabbing a good-sized drop of pure peppermint extract (locally grown!) under both nostrils. It tingled on my skin a little, but, again...poof! Ten minutes later, I was eating popsicles on the sofa.

pmorello
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Patricia
Montgomery NY
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  12:59:11 AM  Show Profile
Nice! I knew about peppermint but didn't know about the alcohol. Often have prep pads in my pocket (I'm a nurse too), will definitely give this a try - DH is going thru chemo and nausea is a biggie.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  08:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the suggestions! I had horrible morning sickness when I was pregnant. I am going to tuck this into my knowledge base for "next time"

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  4:26:36 PM  Show Profile
The 3 minor surgeries I've had I've always wound up barfing my guts out. I too will be filing "this into my knowledge base for next time!" Thanks!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  4:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I sucked on peppermints when I pregnant,,,going to keep the alcohol idea in mind. Sometimes, right around my period, I get a sick feeling in my stomach. I am going to try the alcohol pads idea.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Rubbing Alcohol and Peppermint for Nausea Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page