soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  3:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Tonight we are having goulash for dinner - the real stuff, cooked with stew meat, paprika from Hungary, and a real Hungarian recipe (not the stuff my mom tried to pass off). Anyway, as I was waiting for the stock to come to a boil, I wondered, why is it that a watched pot will not boil, but a pot that isn't watched will boil over onto my whole stove? It made me laugh, but if you think about it, it's too true!

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  6:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Rofl! But I have my own superstition about that. When I'm cooking I never leave the kitchen unattended. But if I want the water to boil, I turn my back to the stove! (It's a galley style kitchen, so I'm really no more than a foot away from it if it decides to mess with me ;)

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way, you're right." Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Hanalu
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Hana
Redwood City California
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  11:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Haha! That is so true! The water never can boil fast enough until you are not looking

Hana
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  09:15:28 AM  Show Profile
I also found that water boils more slowly when I'm waiting for it. Must be some Einstein Time-Space Distortion thing. Here's an example: A few years ago, when I was still working part-time on Saturdays, I had made some pumpkin butter in my usual way (see my post on the easy apple butter recipe thread). I had worked out the time to the exact minute. Do you know it took 10 extra minutes that day for the water in the canner to reach temperature! Luckily, my boss was very forgiving when I gave her a jar that was still warm right out of the canner!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Just a thought... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page