nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  7:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone else read The Night Journal by Elizabeth Crook? I finished it recently and enjoyed it.

farmgirl sister #37

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  05:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I haven't been to the library in a long time, no time for reading lately. I looking for something "different" to read other than cookbooks. Could you give a brief synopsis? Thanks.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way, you're right." Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  12:22:43 PM  Show Profile
i am not all that great at synopes, so here is the info from the author's website, www.elizabethcrookbooks.com...

A brilliantly imagined and compulsively readable novel of a young woman discovering the truth about her family’s mythic past.

Meg Mabry has spent her life with her back turned to her legendary family legacy. In the 1890s her great-grandmother Hannah Bass composed starkly revealing diaries of her life on the southwestern frontier, first as a Harvey Girl at the glamorous Montezuma Resort in New Mexico and later as the wife of brilliant, and often-absent, railway engineer Eliott Bass. A generation later, Hannah’s daughter, Claudia Bass, renowned historian known to all as Bassie, staked her academic career and reputation on these vibrant accounts, editing and publishing them to great acclaim. Thanks to the journals and to the industry Bassie created around them, Hannah would forever be one of the most romantic and famous figures of southwestern history.

Meg, however -- Bassie’s granddaughter -- finds the family lore oppressive. When an excavation on the old Bass family property beckons a now-elderly and viper-tongued Bassie back to the fabled land of her childhood, Meg only grudgingly consents to accompany her. Determined not to live under the shadow of her ancestry, Meg has never even read the journals. But when an unexpected discovery casts doubt on the history recorded in their pages and harbored in Bassie’s memories, Meg finally succumbs to the allure of her great-grandmother’s story and ventures even deeper into Hannah’s life to unlock the mystery at the journal’s core.

farmgirl sister #37

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  07:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Thanks so much! Sounds like something I'd like.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way, you're right." Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic the night journal Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page