Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 How do you make envelopes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How do you make envelopes? Next Topic  

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  6:32:05 PM  Show Profile
In otherwords, which comes first the card or the envelope?
I am just starting to make my own cards from what I have and I don't want to spend a lot of money on "stuff" to make them as that sort of defeats the purpose! LOL! So, are there templates for making certain sized envelopes or do you just use old ones for a pattern? Are there certain glues to put them together? And if you were making cards and envelopes themselves as a gift is there a certain glue you put on the envelope that dries and then you lick it to make it useful later?
I hope a veteran card maker reads this and can answer some of these questions for me! Thanks if you can!
P.S. I do have one of those bone folders if that helps? And what's the difference between "cardstock" and the scrapbooking papers? What type of paper do you use for what? Thanks again!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  05:38:18 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Sandra!

I just was looking this up on the net the other day! Be sure to do the links in order. It's a video that shows you exactly what to do. You just need glue, paper and a ruler. You can use old envelopes for templates if you'd like and as long as your cards will fit into them easily. As for the paper vs. cardstock dilemma. All paper products are measured by weight. Cardstock is noticeably stiffer (like an index card, file folder, greeting card, etc.) and has a weight of 70 lbs. Most papers (even scrapbooking paper) are pretty light and flimsy and only has a weight of 20 lbs. I'm not sure what the weights mean, but that would be an easy way to tell the difference. Cardstock is used for stuff that needs to be stiffer, like a greeting card, or an embellishment that you don't want to get banged up really bad in the mail. The scrapbooking papers are great for making and lining envelopes or cards, also embellishments. And of course, scrapbook pages. I have been making more and more of my own cards, even using up the fronts of old Christmas cards as embellishments here and there. As for the bone folder, it will definitely help you with making creases! Have a blessed day, and happy cardmaking! Ann

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/9167_making-cards-envelope-one.htm

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/9168_making-cards-envelope-two.htm
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  06:05:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sandra!

I have made envelopes using magazine pages, comic book pages, wrapping paper, brown paper bags, you name it, I've probably done it! I've even mailed letters and things in water bottles through the mail!! Like Ann said, using an envelope you have that will fit your card as template is fine. I make firmer templates by opening up regular envelopes and tracing them onto light cardboard - like a cereal box. That way I have an assortment of patters. Then I use a good glue stick. If I have a patterned paper I'll use a separate plain colored label for the address. Again, applied with a glue stick.

All this talk has me itching to go make some cards! Maybe I'll do Halloween cards. Martha Stewart magazines have great pages for theme envelopes and the new Oct. mag just came! Whoo hoo!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  07:57:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you girls! I save all those "catalogues" and of course my magazines, claendars etc that come in the mail and I have been cutting out Halloween and Fall stuff from them to make my cards. This is a first for me but with the price of cards I thought I need to do this but then I thought I needed the "supplies" but good golly they were pricey too...might as well buy the card so if I am going to do this it is to save money and have fun at the same time! I KNEW you gals would know the frugal way of doing this and I thank you! I'll post my cards when I get them done! This is fun now that I know it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  07:57:57 AM  Show Profile
Making Halloween cards sounds like so much fun! I need to do one for my secret prayer partner at church... May have to find a way and jump in and make a few.
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  08:08:32 AM  Show Profile
One thing I learned the hard way was to be careful of your card size if you are going to send them through the mail -- if your card is not a "standard" size, it will require more postage. They can give you exact measurements and postage needs at the post office.
Have fun!

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  8:45:02 PM  Show Profile
The Dollar store is a great place to pick up "extras' for cards. stickers, trim, fun scissors, etc. Go through the magazine at the bookstore and see what they do. you'd be surprised what you can "fake" and make a card look great!

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  03:38:44 AM  Show Profile
I have the envelope template from Stampin' Up and really like that and they also have a glue that is the lick and stick type for the envelope flap. That might be worth investing in.
Make sure you let us see your creations!!

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  03:44:02 AM  Show Profile
And definitely don't make square cards if you don't want to spend extra on postage. Somehow those machines don't know which way is up when cancelling the stamp.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How do you make envelopes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page