Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Beatrix Potter Next Topic  

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  7:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I recently watched a movie about the life of Beatrix Potter entitled "Miss Potter." I really enjoyed it. I did a little research on her and the main points of the movie are accurate. If she were alive today, she would definitely be considered a farmgirl. She wasn't only an author and artist, but also a farmer, scientist, and conservationist. When she died, she left 4,000 acres of land to The Land Trust, keeping it from development so it could be enjoyed for generations to come. To find out more about her and her work, visit www.peterrabbit.com

http://thecraftycatgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.craftycatgirl.etsy.com
"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  5:47:18 PM  Show Profile
Beatrix Potter has been somewhat of a role model & idol for me since I was a young girl. I just think she was such a wonderful woman. I am so glad to now be able to share her stories & artwork with my children. My 7 year old daughter just loves her too. The movie you spoke of is a wonderful film.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  6:23:41 PM  Show Profile
Laura's....I too LOVE the lady and watched the movie a few months back and loved it! The countryside was gorgeous too in the movie. Have either of your read the Susan Wittig books that are fictional mysteries with Miss Potter and her favorite talking animals? I really enjoyed them and hope she writes more...I think there are 3 so far. They are delightful mysteries and stay pretty true to her biography and the local.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  11:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Sam,
I will be looking for those books! I have read her biography and seen the movie. I have a few of her Children's book, and a Beatrix Potter tin that is real cute. So I think I would really like those books.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  2:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy Jo - I have the DVD and have not yet watched it. I love Beatrix Potter - there is a kids book out, but it is a journal type book that has all kinds of neat things in it like miniature letters etc that she wrote to kids, check it out on Ebay under Beatrix Potter Journal I believe.
Miss you bunches
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  09:13:50 AM  Show Profile
I was lucky enough to visit Beatrix Potter's cottage, and have tea there. When I got out of high school I took a boat to Europe and travelled for several months. I ruined my ankle when I first arrived and was on crutches for three weeks. My sister in law's parents lived in the North of England and they toook me to lots of interesting places. Beatrix Potter's books are so charming, and her artwork is exquisite....It was nice to see that film and get a glimpse of what her life was like.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  09:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Karin,
How nice! I would have loved to have seen her home.
HI kATHY.I will check out that book.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  06:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
I love Beatix Potter's illustrations.

Is the movie about her like a documantary type movie?

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  07:01:59 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely! I love her work. She was a visionary in a time when women were not aggresive with their careers and the land preservation before any ideas about environmentalism were commonly talked about.
Laura

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  5:13:05 PM  Show Profile
My oldest son is almost 23. Next son is 20 and next son is 14. Our nursery for all was Beatrix Potter. My FIL was living in London when the first two were born. Each time, he sent lovely presents of Beatrix Potter for us - book sets, dishes, etc. w/o even knowing of our nursery theme. I love the movie, Miss Potter also, and recently purchased online the journal and the book, Beatrix Potter, A Life in Nature, by Linda Lear. Having just received them, I've only glanced, but am looking forward to time spent with them -
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  06:12:27 AM  Show Profile
Have you read the biography of BP by Margaret Lane (pub. 1968)? I found it in my library; it is worth reading.
I have been a huge BP fan since I was a child, loving her artwork. My mom recently bought me a Peter Rabbit doll-size porcelain tea set....I am 38, and have it displayed with pride!

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  6:41:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the referral of the biography. I'll look for it. The book by Linda Lear is proving to be very good - Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  6:59:24 PM  Show Profile
I loved that movie. I thought it was adorable! I was lucky enough to find a complete set of her PeterRabbit books at an antique store when I lived in Florida. Very cheaply but it would have been well worth more. They are all small, but hard cover. Absolutely wonderful. I have them put away for the children to use when they are a lot older. :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  2:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
Beatrix Potter became a role model for me as a young child. We both were homeschooled, both started drawing wee things as children, and both lived in similar environments. And like her, I knew the difference between raising livestock for food and having a pet rabbit, chicken etc.

She also was a tom boy deep down, and had the survival mode that I think got her thru some very, very difficult times. And I always loved how she stood her ground when she did finally marry, as her parents were by todays standards 'snobs'.

But then I remind myself that those were different times, and how blessed I am, that I can be a Beatrix Potter, Tasha Tudor, Annie Oakley mix.

Also loved how her childrens books always had an important moral or lesson, without being preachy.

~I was born in the wrong era~
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Beatrix Potter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page