Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Harvest Apron Pattern from MJ's Book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Harvest Apron Pattern from MJ's Book Next Topic  

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  01:16:55 AM  Show Profile
I am so tickled with the harvest apron pattern featured in Mary Jane's book that I stitched up tonight. The directions are easy to understand and it goes together quickly. I'm planning on making some more tomorrow! Thanks, Mary Jane!

Bev in Oregon

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  1:05:36 PM  Show Profile
Good on you Bev! So, will you be wearing that apron?:) Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  2:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
That's great Bev! I want to see it!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  8:01:46 PM  Show Profile
Hello Julias! Actually, I'm making these harvest aprons to sell at our local bazaar next month but I'm sure that I'll end up wearing one. They just make up so cute! I chose some darling prints for year-round wear, as well as some old-fashioned Christmas prints for the holidays. It's been great fun and tonight I have three more cut out and ready to sew. If I can figure out how to email a photo from my digital camera I'll send a photo to Reedsport Julia, and she can forward it to Blue Apple Julia. LOL I'm not very computer literate ;)
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  9:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Julia, was that the same pattern you used? Did you ever finish yours?
I hope to send our chapter picture out soon. My battery died before Emily could take it. Michelle has the picture on her camera, so hope to get it from her soon.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  05:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Nope, I used the Everyday Apron pattern in MJ's book.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  09:27:53 AM  Show Profile
Did you guys enlarge the pattern out of the book? If so, where did you find a place to do it? Don't mean to sound dumb here but blowing something up 400% would take a big piece of paper! My local copy place won't do it.

The only time that housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Anna
MaryJane's Farmgirl

27 Posts

Pullman WA
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  10:22:50 AM  Show Profile
The best place I've found for blowing up the patterns is Kinko's. The one here in Moscow has a huge scanner thing that you feed the shrunken pattern through and it prints off on a piece of paper a yard or so wide. I've spent so many hours in there sizing and resizing things; I'm sure the people there know me by name! You might want to check Office Depot or Staples, sometimes they have copy services and they might have a huge copier, too.
I would really love to see pics of the aprons that you girls are making from the book! Could you all either post links or email me some pics? That would be really cool! My email is anna@maryjanesfarm.org

The Sewing Girl at MaryJanesFarm :^)
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  11:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Kay, first I scanned it using my scanner here at home...then took it to Lazerquick and they blew it up for me.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  2:10:06 PM  Show Profile
I scanned the pattern in at 200%, then just printed it out and taped it together. :) Annie
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  11:52:02 AM  Show Profile
Help! I'm trying to make the harvest apron following the directions in MJ's book and am having trouble understanding how to do the pocket. I guess I just can't see how there is a place to put your hand into the pocket!

Specifically, the instructions in step two are confusing to me. How is there an opening at the top of the pocket if it is sewn together with the apron body into the waistband?

I'm making the body of the apron from an old tablecloth, and I want to cover some stains on the front with the big pocket of a contrasting material. Looks cute, but I can't figure out the pocket.

Help help help!
Go to Top of Page

Julie Beck
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Julie
Moscow Idaho
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  12:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Katie-ell.

I am one of the other seamstresses on the farm, and this is one of my favoriet aprons! I will try to explain the instructions more clearly. First, finish the sides and bottom of the pocket piece. Then pin in place onto the apron as instructed. The sides of the front pocket are open from the top to about 2/3 of the way down on the sides. Sew the bottom edge of the pocket to the apron. Here is the tricky part: you also need to sew up the sides of the pocket, but only from the bottom edge of the pocket up 6 inches on each side so that the top portion of each side is still open. Does this make sense?

Please call me at the farm if you need more help on this! 208-882-6819

Happy Sewing!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  1:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I've got it! The openings are on each side of the pocket, rather than from the top. That eliminates a gaping pouch effect -- clever! Back to sewing I go. Thanks so much, Julie.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  2:35:22 PM  Show Profile
Julie, will this apron fit a plus size lady? Thanks.
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Anna
MaryJane's Farmgirl

27 Posts

Pullman WA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  4:24:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey Patricia, this is Anna. The ties on this apron are really long (about 90") to accommodate a great big bow, so it should fit a plus-sized woman without any adjustments. On the other hand, you could always extend the "Apron" piece on fabric A in the pattern in the book to the other selvage edge and gather the apron to a width of 22" or so instead. Happy sewing! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  6:07:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad that we have sewing girls at the Farm to answer our questions. We're so lucky. That would be my dream job!

The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  9:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Anna. I agree, Kay, we're lucky to have help at the farm. Woo hoo! As my husband would say, "Project 632B" is on the drawing board.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Anna
MaryJane's Farmgirl

27 Posts

Pullman WA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2005 :  09:08:53 AM  Show Profile
Kay, I'm totally living my dream job right now! It truly is the best place ever!

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Harvest Apron Pattern from MJ's Book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page