LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  1:10:41 PM  Show Profile
The big ol hedge tree had the remains of our kids treehouse when we went to clean it up this last weekend. I found my silverwear, cups, glasses that I have wonder were they went. Time always reveals, lol.

Now the ol hedge will once again come alive with laughter of kids playing on it, this time our grandkids. Plus a big ol swing for me on a big branch that says it needs a swing : )

Clearing all the bramble and over growth was a job but its open, we put a floor on it and rails will be added and more goodies. I think I'll have a kids table and chairs, at the foot of the tree and the tree house itself will be the fort play area.

Its a massive hedge tree with strong limbs and no thorns or hedge apples to be conked on the head with. Plus the first floor is not so far off the ground. They will probably build higher as they grow up. But for now its perfect.

Humpty Dumpty is the perfect charactor for the story tree (inspired form MJ's Story Tree). With old books that will be fun to read along with their favortites. I'm thinking a book that needs to be continued might be fun. The kids will want to hear more and they can ponder on what was read and talk about it on their next visits and I'll read another chapter or two.

I have some really old books that might be fun to go through with them.

Then again when they are not using it I will be on the swing filled with pillows and a quilt, reading my MJ's Outpost book, knitting or taking a nap

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  1:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Is this tree still alive? Did you cut off all the low hanging branches? We have a couple of old hedge apple trees. I'd like to do something with them. I love your idea! But I have trouble even driving my little car over those scaly green fruits it throws down.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  1:57:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Miss Bee Haven
Yes its still alive, we did have to cut some new growth off and some really low dead limbs.

We have a lot of hedge trees and all those green balls, lol theres also some that are as big as this one. But this tree is closer to our home in the woods and if I cut down the trees from my back deck I could see it. But that takes away from the hide out. I have to cutie it up or it could look rather scary.

You know I didn't see any hedge apples around the truck or close but maybe they are around the drop line of the tree that is quite a ways out and on the ground already hidden in the bushes. I will have to check. Theres a little wet weather stream right close to it. I can see little sail boat sticks going down it. Or a bucket on a roap to pull up water for their kitchen to make mud pies.

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  2:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
What a perfect hang out. I would curl up there and read a book.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  08:42:30 AM  Show Profile
Linda,
Looks so inviting. I love your humpty dumpty. Did you make him and if so do you have a pattern available? I would love to make one.

Happy Reading,
barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  09:01:47 AM  Show Profile
LInda, I think I'm moving in with you and your family, sounds like heaven to me!
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  11:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls, I have not did any more to the tree house lately, but my grandgirlies(5 and 6 yrs) are making invitations to the story tree house, lol, hope you all get one , lol. DD told me this today, so I was happy the grandgirls love this idea and the tree house will once again be used.

barnagainkristin , I didn't make HDumpty, and I can't remember where and when I got him, its been a very long time. It looks pretty easy to make tho. I can stretch him out, take pictures of his backside with some measurements for ya if you like. JLMK

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  8:26:49 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
You're so sweet to offer to stretch out Humpty and take photos. Life is busy so anytime you can I would love the info. I picture him on an operating table. Be kind to Mr. Dumpty. You should photograph the invitations and share them with us. 5 and 6 year olds are wonderful artists.
Great photos of the story treehouse. You set it up so well.

Happy Reading!
barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  07:21:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh My Gosh barnagainkristin I have not forgotten about measuring Humpty for you. Its been busy like everyone knows. I will do this weekend and post a picture of him all layed out with details.

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  08:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love your hide out! What a great story tree!!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  12:27:58 PM  Show Profile
barnagainkristin, I finally got Humpty measured. He's always a happy camper , just look at that smile as hes stretched out on the table.

and his backside

Measurements:

His egg shaped body from top to bottom is 17" and he's 3 1/2 " thick.

The bottom being the pant part is 4" and the 13" is his egg body. The pant part is attached to the egg part.

Legs are 6 1/2 " long from top to heal, breakdown, 5" leg with 1 1/2" foot , foot is 3 1/2" long. Leg is 2" wide

Arms 6 1/2" to finger tips, Arm part is 4" by 2" wide, hand is 2 1/2" and 2 1/4" wide. 4 fingers

What makes this cute is the collar around him and the bow tie. I hope the picture will show how that can be made. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Tree house, we added a swing that is just right for the grandkids. There will be a platform stage w/curtains and lights so they can put on plays and sing. The grandkiddies have not seen this yet but i think they will like.

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead

Edited by - LindaEllen on Nov 03 2008 5:07:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  2:51:53 PM  Show Profile
LInda Ellen, I always look for your posts! Do you actually have a man that goes along with all your adventures????
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  4:57:13 PM  Show Profile
Lol Susan, I surely got an old man. And he does go along and help out when I need two extra hands. Dh keeps the trails cleaned up, he likes to do that and I like to camp and build the Outpost. Most everything is simple and does not take to much to set up. Recycled stuff.

Oh, he cuts me some nice wood for my campfires from fallin trees along the trails. I don't push him on camping out if he rather stay inside and watch the tube but he'll come up when I'm cookin on the firepit and have coffee with me and then we'll walk the trails.

I'm looking at another Outpost over at my Moms, its really in deep woods and much more wilder. Cougar and rattlers (that I have confronted) will be a concern but oh the wildlife to observe. It has a creek and huge trees, its beautiful. I let everyone know this is the plan and I don't get any "whahoo's or when can we start" : (. So this may have to be on my own.

So an Outpost here in our woods and then when I really want to do some serious nature studies and scare the day lights out of myself then it will be the New Outpost. This new Outpost is where I stayed a year in the woods in one of those vintage trailers, a little Scottie outfit before I was married many moons ago. Its still down there but a tree fell on it : (. The iron clawfoot tub is there too : ) , might be easier to make the Outpost there then move it to my Outpost here in our woods.

The main thing is getting outside, away from TV,phones,PC,light pollution and noise, eat outdoors and forage for foods in season. Along with nature study.

I have started reading books, not just quick magazine reads but real books. So this whole Outpost has done a lot of good for me, doing things I use to do when I was in my twenties. Interest in learning pioneer ways and survival is high on my list of want to's.

Sharing with the grandkiddies the love of being outdoors even tho they live smack dab in the woods as well, lol. They can teach me a thing or too.

DH is there when I need him, even if a football game is on. He may not like to butcher out roosters but he'll help me out. He looks at our expanded garden, it was 100 ft by 100ft and we almost double it when we had new ground plowed the other day. He just shakes his head. He looks at my stash of junk and I look at his, we are even : ). He makes coffee in the morning. He sounds to good to be true but he's real and a keeper.

My adventures are simple but oh are they fun and the inspiration I get from others is over the top.

Linda
Farmgirl Sister #343

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  06:04:59 AM  Show Profile
You are one lucky woman!!!
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  2:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
You are so nice to stretch out Humpty and give me the info. Maybe after Christmas I will attempt to make the handsome little egg man. Thanks again. Happy to know of other people who love to be outdoors. Nature keeps me sane.

barnagainkristin

Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic The story/ treehouse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page