True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  7:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Hello all Farmgirls....
My LGD is 10 yearsold, and has been by herself for 3 years(we sold all of our Dairy Goats), and we were worried about her bonding to us, well....she never was in the house until last winter(we have 20 below in the winter) and now she wants to come in all the time, so she truly has bonded to us...How about any others LGD'S?
Hugs...
Terri

Farmgirls are Farmgirls no matter where or how we live.....we can't help it! ;)

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  5:22:52 PM  Show Profile
My dog, Eli, (a Maremma) is VERY bonded to me. He's also bonded to his goats (though I had orginally got him for guarding my SHEEP!!) but I have NO DOUBT how much he LOOOOOOOVES me!!! (BIG SMILE!).. He's outside with them 24/7, but if I'm out and about he's ALWAYS there no matter what I'm doing. It's very flattering to have such a handsome admirer-- but he's STILL not coming in the house!!! (LOL)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  04:35:19 AM  Show Profile
I also have LGDs - two Great Pyrenees, litter-mates & 7 month's old - and I have put my foot down: no dogs in the house! Good word, there would be no room on the bed or on the couch once these two small cows get fully grown!

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dasparky
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter; Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  08:50:15 AM  Show Profile
I have had Great Prys for eighteen years. Presently I have three. My oldest and hardest working is Kasha. She is going on 10 years and the last two have been hard on her since she lost her two puppies. I brought her in the house when ill and when she went thru her bad patch (Lose of the puppies). She would not eat for five days, whined and cried endlessly. I brought her inside and she layed on my bed mourning and snuggling with me. The moment her greif had passed she almost took down the door trying to get back to work. She is always there for me first and then my farm. She works hard everyday but always looks out for me. My other two are brother and sister and both love to come in the house but also work the farm everyday. I think if their temperment is correct and you have trained them, they can every once and a while come in if ill or something of that nature. All of mine place their jobs first but they also know that I am the first to protect because without me this farm grinds to a stop.

Hug that sweet one and know that their heart is big enough for all of your charges.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  09:39:32 AM  Show Profile
Our Pyr, Sterling, is out with the sheep 24/7 but he sure loves human company too. I can see when he is too old to guard the sheep effectively and has a replacement that he might make a good all-around farm dog who has freedom to run the place outside of the sheep pastures. I know he would love to sleep in the garage on winter nights like our other dogs. But that said...he seems to like "routine"...and I'm not sure he would like not having it--trots certain fencelines at certain times of the day, leads the sheep out to pasture each morning, etc. Naps in certain places too. He also enjoys "adventure" as when we open a new pasture he bounds through the gate and loves exploring and marking his territory. He sure does hang with me when I'm out doing stuff in the sheep area though...like a shadow. He also enjoys joining in on herding (he's usually a hindrance however) with our border collie, Tess. She ignores him but he thinks it's great fun.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryP
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Mary
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  10:37:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm hoping to get an anatolian shepherd someday. I don't have anything for him to guard really (except chickens) but I think they are just awesome dogs.
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  1:17:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by grace gerber

Hug that sweet one and know that their heart is big enough for all of your charges.

Oh Grace, what a bittersweet story about your dog's grief! I'll give Bandit and Maggie an extra big hug today.

(Here's my latest blog entry regarding the pups)

Edited by - chickabella on Sep 26 2008 1:20:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  08:07:25 AM  Show Profile
We have numerous coyotes and I have toyed with the idea of getting one of the guard dogs for my sheep but people tell me stories of how sometimes the dogs will kill the lambs or play with them until they kill them. Girls, I am tired of running out in the middle of the night to be sure that my flock is Ok even when I have them in the nearby barn lot. I have toyed with the idea of getting llamas, mules, etc. You guys make it sound so good...which is better to get, male or female? Which breed? Tell me more...the good, the bad, and the ugly.
I have to do something...the coyotes are multiplying by the day and the neighbors will not let the hunters on their property. Help!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  08:26:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I'm hoping to get an anatolian shepherd someday. I don't have anything for him to guard really (except chickens) but I think they are just awesome dogs.

That's what we got our Great Pyrenees for... guarding chickens and geese!
It's taking some work - not as easy to bond the dogs with the chickens as it is with lambs or goats - but at 7 months old, they seem to finally be getting it.

Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  08:31:03 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Keeper of the Past

You guys make it sound so good...which is better to get, male or female? Which breed?

Here's three links to get you started:
http://www.lgd.org/ - lots of terrific info on the various breeds.

http://www.anatoliandog.org/poultry.htm - specific instructions for bonding LGDs (in this case, Anatolians) with poultry

http://www.milkandhoneyfarm.com/dogs/training.html - general training for Great Pyrenees, which I have.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  1:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Mary-- you want to research the Anatolian breed VERY CAREFULLY!!!!! The reason I did NOT choose that breed-- which is VERY prevalant in our area-- is because I have heard too many horror stories pertaining to those dogs. One breeder I talked to said they rasied those dogs for YEARS and finally gave it up-- they are too PEOPLE AGRESSIVE-- especially the MALES. She told me that her husband had to shoot some of their BEST dogs because they went after people that came onto their ranch, people they were doing business with! If you live in an area with close neighbors, or if you have lots of visitors to the farm, they might not be the best choice for you. (and they are certainly not good dogs to have "in town" because LGD's of EVERY breed bark-- A LOT!!!!) I'm not trying to scare anyone, but you MUST research the breeds CAREFULLY!!

The Pyrs are the best all around dogs. I have NEVER heard a single bad story about them in all my research (and that done by the livestock reaserch stations), nor from people who've raised them. The Maremma is the second best choice as far as being ok with people-- though they do NOT make good pets and, even though my dog is loving and gentle, I STILL caution people around him.

LGD's must be allowed to make up their own minds about many things. Too much "training" confuses them and interferes with their natural instincts. They can be a bit rebellious at certain ages (just like a toddler!) and you have to be very careful how you discipline them. (Sometimes they can be downright SCARY to deal with!!!)

As far as killing lambs and kids-- I've never had an issue, nor has anyone else I've ever known who's had LGD's. If you are concerned about that, the best thing to do is keep the ewes and lambs (or does and kids) in a separate, SECURE pasture where the dog can SEE the babies, but not "TOUCH" them, until the lambs/kids are less fragile.

I have to say though, my Eli has been WONDERFUL with both the kids and the lambs. He will help the new mothers clean the babies off and even cuddle up with them while mom is out having a snack. He's an AWSOME NANNY!!! (and a GREAT MOMMY! He was raising his OWN little bummer lamb, but we lost her when she was a month old to our only case (EVER) of bloat. Eli mourned her loss for two weeks, so I understand PERFECTLY how your dog felt Grace-- (Believe it or not-- the lambs name was GRACE!!) More times than I can count I have gone to the barn on a chilly morning and here's this HUGE 130+lb dog with tiny 2lb kids snuggled up in his shaggy fur. I could swear that dog was SMILING!! He so LOOOVES the babies!!!

Whatever those of you considering a LGD choose to do, don't buy a pup on the spur of the moment, or because a breeder is LOUDLY singing "their" breeds praises. (and I would not recommend buying a MIXED breed LGD-- you never know WHAT traits will come out in them) Not every breed is suitable for every person. Those cute puppies grow up-- and some grow up to be a DANGEROUS menace!! (Not to mention VERY LARGE!!!!) Also, you might want to check your insurance policy on the property where the dog is going to be kept-- some policies will NOT cover issues concerning a dog like the LGD's. Better to find out now than to be sorry later. When you DO find the right dog, he/she will be a wonderful addition to your farm, AND your family-- not mention your HEART!

Sorry this is so long, but I stuggled MIGHTILY with this same issue myself. I'm glad I found out all I could about the dogs FIRST. I have never regreated my final choice. ~~~ Hugs to all ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  2:27:13 PM  Show Profile
This is great! did not know soooo many have LGDS/....
Our LGD is now 12 years old, did I say that in my first post?...(brain failure)teehee!
She is blind in one eye, has a VERY hard time getting up and now isgrowling at people, we think she is getting senile...
SHE never has growled at anyone, including children which she adores, but, just in the last few weks, has started some very strange behaviour, shes just lifted her leg and peed on my daughter while she was sitting on a blanket in our yard, she just recently growled and snapped at my DH, Her "Alpha"....We thinks she needs to be put down...
Ladies...THIS IS very sad for me, I have had her since she was 4 days old.....but, cannot have her growling at people.....What do you think? LGDS are the most lovable, tender dogs I have ever had....dont be afraid of them, they do however take a LOT of training....
Thanks for the replies...[/
url]

Farmgirls are Farmgirls no matter where or how we live.....we can't help it! ;)
froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  3:06:18 PM  Show Profile
Terri, those decisions are hard to make especially when you've known the dog in her better days and loved her attributes. Behavior changes are usually health-related in an older dog and she might not feel good. You know how some old people get "cranky" with their arthritis hurting and so forth....well, dogs do too. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with Tracy on the Anatolian choice of guard dog. They are very very useful in range flocks because they bond well to their sheep and they are aggressive guards but they are not the best people-friendly/visitor friendly dog for a farm flock type situation. Maybe I just haven't seen any really good ones but this is just from my experience with friends who have had them.

I will never be without another guard dog, Sarita, although it took me 3-4 years to "figure out" I really needed one...well mostly the coyotes figured it out for me...had 3 market-ready lambs killed one day in one incident...left to rot in the field, just killed for kicks by the coyotes. Got the LGD (Pyr) and have only lost one lamb since then. It's been about 3 years since I've had him, maybe 4. He's getting better and better and we are managing the flock a bit differently too. We dry-lot the ewes overnight close to the house and can hear everything. We keep him separated from the ewes during lambing just for the reasons you mentioned...don't want to risk him mauling lambs or anything but he gets put out with ewes and lambs when the lambs are only about 1 week old...as long as they can get away from him quick. He's not real agile like a border collie is (or a coyote). I found him hauling off a dead lamb one year so since then I haven't trusted him during lambing.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  10:33:51 PM  Show Profile
I never had to train my dog to do anything. He was BORN knowing what to do (and mama taught him a few things TOO!! LOL) The issues we've had with him have been minor. I do have to say that they are extrememly intellegent dogs-- and sometimes VERY emotional.

We lost quite a few lambs this year (5 out of 8) and one kid. Eli acted VERY strange shortly after the babies started coming (and going) and I could not understand his behavior. He was actually a bit SCARY for a few days. He was very snappy and growly-- not him AT ALL!!! (one incident that proves these dogs are NOT for the faint of heart!) I found out one day WHY his behavior was so odd-- we actually had TWO sets of kids, but one must have died at birth because I never even saw it!!! Eli knew the kid was out there though, and I think he was frustrated with me because I DIDN'T!!

I went to the barn one day (four days after the kids arrived) and found a dead kid lying on the floor of the barn. At first I thought maybe Eli had killed one of the Kids I KNEW about, (another behavior he is NOT known for, but he HAD killed a kitten just a few day before- he was not raised around cats, but he's ok with them now). It turned out that I had never seen that kid before. Eli had actually brought it into the barn and left it where he knew I would find it. After it was buried his odd behavior stopped and he was back to being my big sweet love bug. Absolutely AMAZING creatures!! If you find the RIGHT ONE!

Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  10:11:20 AM  Show Profile
my LDG is bonded to me as well as the goats and our cow. He sleeps in the house at night and loves to play and snuggle with us. He is precious to me!

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  12:32:17 PM  Show Profile
If you have other dogs, how do you get the guard dogs to not kill them? Do I need to get one as a puppy? Is males or females better? I will not want to do any breeding so maybe a male????

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  1:02:44 PM  Show Profile
My Pyr loves our other dogs but he doesn't like strange dogs. We keep them separate most of the time but sometimes one of our other dogs will follow us into pastures and we have no problems. He runs up and they sniff and all is well. I guess this would depend on the dog.

I have a neutered male but he was intact when I got him as a 3-year old. I didn't feel prepared to start a puppy my first go-round with a LGD. Will have to get a puppy next time probably and that's a new ballgame for me too...it's like Tracy said, you don't really train these dogs, you work with their instincts and make it a win-win situation with management. It's important to get dogs from working parents and hopefully the same type of livestock that you want guarded.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  03:32:25 AM  Show Profile
HEY! I was just talking to a friend the other day about those Meriamas.

Up until that point, I had never head of them. This friend had coyotes move back in when his Pyranese died a few months ago. Didn't take long for the coyotes to figure it out!

We had thought about Pyranese or Apzeneller (Bernese Mt. dog) but stopped short when some literature said stuff about small kids and these dog not doing well

I guess its all in the training?

Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  03:44:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Anna, you're right: although the guarding instinct is something that is always there, basic manners MUST be trained into any dog, specifically for those who will be part of one's household. Things like not jumping up onto people, and basic commands like "drop it", "stop/stay", and the like. Not everyone will agree with me on this point, and that's fine, but if a dog is going to be part of a human household, they'll have to be trained to be a member in good standing. LGDs are -very- smart dogs, and if they have an owner that is weak, they'll take over. Not good.

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  07:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Even if I had basic commands on my LGD (which I don't), he wouldn't listen to me when he's in "go mode" no matter what. He is way too independent and I personally like it that way....he should be out with the sheep and not worrying about what I want. I haven't wanted to mess or confuse the dog...his first and foremost duty is to his sheep and not me. That may sound weird but that's how I want it. Guard the sheep...don't be at the gate trying to please the humans. That said...I have no expectations of the dog being a house dog or a pet and that was your point about training them basic commands and I understand that.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266

Edited by - Jami on Oct 03 2008 07:24:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  09:18:52 AM  Show Profile
Not WEIRD Jamie! That's what those dogs are SUPPOSED to do! What people who've never had these dogs (or haven't done any research on them) don't realize is that LGD'S are WORKING dogs-- they are NOT PETS!!! (with the exception of the Pyr's, of course, which make WONDERFUL pets! Sometimes much better pets than actual animal guardians) Though they will show affection and respect to their humans (if they've been handled right!) -- at the end of the day, it's a PARTNERSHIP, not really an Owner/pet situation. You have to RESPECT these dogs, be FIRM, but FAIR in your treatment of them and that respect will be returned.

They will patrol their "area" like any good soldier and they will guard it, and their charges, with their very lives if need be. Yes, they SHOULD be taught basic commands, but, like Jaime said, they will often ignore their human if they feel THEIR way of dealing with a situation will work better. Puppy school just won't work for a guardian dog because it will defeat the purpose of getting an LGD in the first place. They were bred to be "independant thinkers," not LAP DOGS! Anyone who wants a pet they can boss around and control should NOT get a Maremma, Certainly NOT an Anatolian or an Akbash (both Turkish breeds and human aggressive), a Kuvaz, or any of the OTHER working LGD breeds. That's a sure recipe for disaster for someone who is not prepared to handle them.

While I'm not trying to ring the bell of doom, I AM trying to help EDUCATE people on these dogs. Not every situation is the same, not every dog within a specific breed is the same, but for the most part, many situations and bad experiences can be avoided if those looking for an LGD would just do their homework. The most important thing to do is learn as much about each breed as possible and to actually TALK to people who have had them and find out what their experiences and feelings about that particular breed are.
Also, look on the "Breed Specific" rescue sites. Just type in the name of the breed you are interested in along with the word "Rescue" and it should point you in the right direction. After reading the stories of those dogs, you might have a better understanding of the breed and why SOME people should NEVER own them!

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  1:46:14 PM  Show Profile
I had Anatolian Shepherds for about 15 years - until my last one passed a couple of years ago. Most guardian dogs look at new introductions (sheep, goats or other dogs)as intruders to their flocks unless properly introduced - that includes lambs. You have to research the breed you are choosing. Anatolians are a dominance oriented breed - meaning that they set their own parameters and then whatever is "normal" within those parameters is safe to be there and things that aren't "normal" within that parameter are considered a threat. It is also important to note that with all dogs but most especially dominance orientated dogs, it is imperative that you set the limits and make sure the dog knows who is the Alpha (boss). Anatolians will boss you if you do not set those limits immediately. Having a guardian dog will protect your stock but you must be educated to that breed and take great care to know your dog and it's tendencies. Training a pup takes time and patience and guidance if you are on unfamiliar ground. Training a dog for guardian work vs a pet is two different things altogether. My best advice is do the research. Know your breeder. And make sure that both parents of a large breed dog have certified hips and or shoulders by OFA. There is nothing more tragic than a dog with hip dysplaysia. As for Anatolians being a bad breed or attacking people indiscriminately, I had five at once time one - a male that weighed in at 200 lbs. that rode with me everywhere when I ran my cabinet shop and went out on bids by myself and I never had a single incident. I think you have to look at who was the breeder in the first place and how the dog was trained and supervised.

Edited by - Sheep Mom 2 on Oct 03 2008 1:52:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  11:02:01 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for chiming in on the Anatolian breed Sheri. I talked to one breeder about those dogs and she had a lot of problems with them "going after people" -- the BREEDERS words, not mine. I also tried to get information from another breeder about HER Anatolians and she would NOT give me any straight answers. It was VERY frustrating for me. I mean, if her dogs were so great, WHY wouldn't she tell me anything about them? Maybe I was unfortunate and found the wrong breeders to talk to.

It would have been much EASIER to buy an Anotolian or a Pyr, there are so many available in our area -- but I chose a Maremma instead, though I had to go all the way to Oregon to get him. I spent an entire year reserching the different breeds, getting information from the breed registries, reading all the information on the different rescue sites, etc.. but, after all that, I felt that the "local" breeds were just not the right dogs for me.

My Eli is such a GREAT dog!!! He never harms the lambs or kids, and he always seems to know when they are coming. He loves his babies and is an EXCELLENT Nanny. I have also never really had a problem introducing new animals to the farm. He may fuss for a day or two and keep the new comers away from the other animals until he's SURE they are ok, but once he deems them worthy, he gets along fine with them.
But, anyone who's ever had a dog of ANY kind knows that not every dog will be a good one. There are always exceptions, and I was very blessed to find such a Fantastic dog!!! (Actually, HE chose ME! I find that to be the best way to go about getting a dog-- and I've never been wrong! They've all been wonderful, WONDERFUL dogs!!)

Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  04:40:18 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, Jami: For what it's worth, I -have- spoken with other farm Pyr breeders and Pyr rescue and rehabilitation, and they agree that if the dog is not a full-time out-in-the-field dog, basic manner training is a must. I made sure to do my homework before getting a LGD. Since we only have eight acres, the dogs were going to be around the house too much not to have some basic manners, which I've been giving to them - but only very basic stuff. Their first job is guarding. Hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile
Beings in the zoo field, I know all about the anatolians and the work being done over seas in conjunction w/ cheetahs. It's pretty cool.

For our needs, an overall good guard dog would be nice for us and the chickens. We get visitors from friends and family all the time, and some have small kids. I'd feel terrible if someone got nipped due a basic instinctual issue.

My Belgian isn't a nipper, but she is mouthy. Has been from day 1.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  10:08:05 AM  Show Profile
I have to say here some history on the Anatolian and the breeders in your neck of the woods. I am very passionate about this issue because Anatolians have received a bad rap. The breeders I have been involved with have a very different approach to breeding the Anatolian than the club that originates in CA. The Ca group has been in it for the money and not the good of the breed. The group I have been involved with is very concerned with the blood lines and temperment of their dogs and a dog with any agression issues is spayed or neutered and those traits are not passed along. The CA group also has mega trouble with dysplaysia. The CA group also fought very hard for AKC recognition so they could export dogs to England who had messed up their own blood lines by closing their breed book about 20 years ago. AKC is not concerned with genetics - all they care about is pure bred it does not matter to AKC how closely related the dogs in question are. Anatolians come from Turkey and are the prime protection for the flocks and people in the wandering tribes there. They have been used as flock guardians for over a thousand years and are considered a national treasure. The Anatolian breed even appears on the cancellation of their mail! As a result of all the problems here due to indiscriminate breeders, it is nearly impossible to import a dog directly from Turkey anymore. Not because we won't let them in but because they won't let them out. The reason you couldn't get a straight answer from the breeder is the breeder couldn't answer your questions because she wasn't educated herself.

I agree with you - the dog should pick you and not the other way around. When working with the pups all pups were temperment tested and would not be placed in inappropriate homes. Anatolian pups should never be removed from a litter prior to 12 weeks old as the mom trains them. The breeder that I worked with here (who sadly passed away 2 yrs ago) was partly responsible for bringing the breed here from Turkey. I never met an overly aggressive Anatolian but then again everyone I knew who had them were educated on how to train the dog in the first place.

I don't have Anatolians right now because I couldn't find a local breeder with blood lines I trust either. I would have had to pay a thousand dollars for a pup and pay to fly it in which was too spendy for me. It breaks my heart what has been done to this noble and wonderful breed. One of the males that I had was a Turkish import - the other was first generation American bred and both my girls were from Turkish import parents. My dogs were always around lots of people - kids, my customers and potential puppy buyers (I did one litter for my friend after she became ill and couldn't take care of her litter) and I never had one ounce of indiscriminate agression.

Sadly this is just another example of dollars before care - not too dissimilar to genetically modified food. I don't blame Turkey for no longer allowing their national treasures into our hands.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Livestock Guardian Dogs... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page