Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2008 :  03:11:32 AM  Show Profile
That's the only hangup I have w/ purebred dogs.

All the inbreeding and no wonder they have potential health problems.

When we were loking for another Belgian, I was half tempted to get one from overseas.

A good friend in the know said this was good ,but since they are from working lines and not show, they are not really hyper...but more driven. And since we don't have sheep- and don't care to have our chickens or us herded everywhere, and ultimately wanted just a good pet/fur baby, we stayed local. So far there have not been any health issues w/ our dog.

But -I also go the wholistic route too when it comes to food and basic vet care.

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  07:20:55 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend that has sheep and raises pyrs...I am on the waiting list to get a puppy in about 3 months. I am looking forward to having some help with my woolies.
Thanks for all of the good information that you all have shared, it has helped me to make a decision that I have been rattling around for 2 years.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  08:07:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for more info on the Anatolians. That's why there are so many breeds, so we can all find the ones that work for each of us and our flock situations. I say to do your homework if you're contemplating a LGD, go visit some working on farms and make an informed decision. I don't think it takes a pedigreed dog to be a LGD but certainly working parents, honest information from the breeder and a site visit to observe how they are introduced to livestock, etc. Treat it as you would picking out a nanny for your human kids because that's basically what you're doing for your critter family is tossing a caretaker into their midst and it's a real bossy one.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  08:26:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jami

Treat it as you would picking out a nanny for your human kids because that's basically what you're doing for your critter family is tossing a caretaker into their midst and it's a real bossy one.

Nicely put, I like that!

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dasparky
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter; Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  10:48:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks again Sherri for posting the info on the Anatolians. I was very impressed with the history of the breed, but not impressed with what the local CA breeders were telling me. But, after reading your post, it all makes sense to me now.

The Maremma breed is NOT recognized by the AKC. They have their own breed registry. I believe it's called "The Maremma Club of America" but I could be wrong. I haven't seen my dogs papers in years, since he's neutered, but it shouldn't be too hard for anyone interested in the breed to find out the proper registry name.

I SOOO agree with the disasterous record keeping and so called "acceptable" practices of the "AKC." It really IS about the $$$ and NOT the animals. (though to be fair, I'm sure there ARE people that are more careful, and ethical, in their breeding practices) I think that's why so many "New" breed registries are cropping up. People are begining to focus more on the health and well being of the various animals rather than the money involved in selling them. Any time money becomse the main focus of a breeders goals, it's all at the sacrifice of the animals they profess to "LOVE." Sad. VERY sad.....

I once saw an article on the AKC's practices in a copy of Readers Digest-- it read "What Have We Done to Man's Best Friend?" It was all about the indiscriminant breeding practices allowed (and possibly promoted) by the largest dog breed registry in the US. The statistics were FRIGHTENING!! It stated that the majority of large breed dogs suffered from severe Hip Dysplasia (which we all know about), that many breeds suffer from epilepsy, eye, skin, tooth and back problems etc... not to mention rampant STUPIDITY among many of the hunting breeds. One paragraph claimed that "Irish Setters are now so stupid that they could get lost at the end of their own leash!" It was funny the way it was worded, but the reality of it was very sad. I'm glad the specific breed registries (not associated with the AKC) are making a concerted effort to change all that and improve the health and vigor of the breeds they promote.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

yarncrazy102
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Diane
Lewiston ID
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  7:34:31 PM  Show Profile
Our flock and pasture were small. We already had a "cattle" dog but she proved too bossy with the sheep. We mentioned it to a friend of ours and he said to look into getting a herd donkey. Don't laugh. We found one for less than another Collie and definitely less than a Prys. She was the best. We were besieged by coyotes (a pack with older pups) and she fought them off after gathering the flock into a circle in the lean-to we had in the pasture. I had the flu and my husband brought her up the back steps and, yes, into the kitchen so I could mend her lips. She was really nervous until she saw me. I had baby animals in my kitchen before but can honestly say without bleaking my eye that I had a 780 pound donkey in my kitchen. Ours was extremely gentle. She never kicked our farrier or the vet. Neither of whom she had great love for. When we left "farming", she was the last to go. She had to go to the right place for the right job. She did - another small flock in Southern Idaho.

From Cleveland to Idaho - what a ride!
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  06:41:58 AM  Show Profile
I have several friends who use guard donkeys and they work great. Eat the same feed as sheep too so that's a plus. I wouldn't laugh at anything if it works for ya!
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:56:39 AM  Show Profile
The reason I chose not to get a Donkey or a Llama was because I wanted something that had an equal advantage as the predators that roam our area-- T-E-E-T-H!!! I had talked to the ladies at my vets office about a flock guardian and they told me about a llama they were treating that had been savagely attacked by a pack of dogs. One on one they do well, or if there are just a few dogs (or Coyotes), but that poor llama was sadly outnumbered. Out of 30 of it's charges, only about 12 sheep survived (many with non-life theateneing injuries), and the poor llama had to fight for own it's life as well.

The problem we have around here is that so many people just let their dogs run loose and don't have a care for other people's livestock. (Until they have to PAY for the damage their dogs did). We also have a pack of feral dogs (VERY BIG DOGS!! I've seen them!!!) that the county doesn't seem in too big a hurry to get rid of.

But the story of that poor llama was the clincher for me. That's why I chose a dog instead of another type of guardian.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  12:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Our LGD is really getting tired, shes either 10 or 12, cannot hardly get up and is blind in one eye,,yesterday, I had some lady friends over and we made applesauce, she was laying on the porch, a friend of mine went to open the door and the dog growled at her......SHE HAS NEVER growled at anyone, we thinks she is ready to be put away, before she hurts anyone...my heart is broken, we have had her (as I stated at the beginning of this thread), since she was 4 days old....
, but, everyones time comes sometime....

Farmgirl Sister #368
http//:froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  12:39:00 AM  Show Profile
Terri, I'm so sorry about your LGD health/age issues. Wish there was something more I could say. Blessings to you and your furry family member.

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dasparky
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter; Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  07:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh Terri, I'm so sorry. I dread the day when my beloved Eli wakes up an "old man" and suffers the affects of old age. He's nearly 6yrs old now and I dread the thought of watching him decline as the years go by. I also know that large dogs don't live half as long as small ones. My prayers are with you. Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  09:02:43 AM  Show Profile
Terri, that's the hard part in being a good steward to our critters...making those hard choices when our heart strings are so attached. So, I feel for you...and feel bad for the dog but that's just life on the farm I suppose and sometimes it takes real guts...most days really huh? Hang in there, girl.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  05:11:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies..its time to really make a decision, I think it is hardest for my DH, he is the one who has to put her down, we just cant take her to the vet, she will have to go the way all of our others have,,,,, still waiting for DH to decide....
Then tonight, all of our chickens were stolen, what to do?

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  7:28:37 PM  Show Profile
How sad and heartbreaking for you both...I'm so sorry!

I too dread the day when my Great Pyr, T.J. begins to have a hard time getting around. He's getting up a little slower now, sometimes he's slightly grouchy and grumpy, and he's seven..and I love him so~

livin' the sweet life!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  7:40:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh man, Terri! One disaster after another. If it's any consolation, I FEEL your pain!!! Things go like that for ME too.

We have a tiny little kitten that got stepped on by someone (no one will admit it, of course, but I know for sure who DIDN'T do it!). He has been dragging himself around for a week now and it just breaks my heart to see him like that, but he seemed happy and pain free. My youngest son named him "Leutinant (sp?) Dan." (think "Forrest Gump") He was eating well (canned cat food and goats milk 3x a day) and his mamma was still nursing him a bit and keeping him clean. He was getting around pretty fast on those two front legs of his and even "playing" with the teenage cats. This evening though, when I went to feed the sheep I noticed something wasn't quite right with him. At first I thought he had some leaves stuck to him, but then I picked him up and realized .... no... it wasn't leaves. It was the bone of his right leg sticking out. He'd gotten hung up somewhere and, because he's basically paralyzed from the lower part of his back down, he didn't even feel it. But he DID feel it when I tried to pull the skin back over it. I thought about stitching him up, but I know it will just happen again somewhere else, so I've decided that it's time to let him go. Not an easy decision-- he's just about the cutest kitten I've ever seen and he's got such a WONDERFUL personality-- but it's not fair to let him suffer.

This has been a TERRIBLE year for me all around, as far as the animals are concerned. I've lost so many critters. My yr old laying hens to raccoons, MOST of my chicks to murdering RATS!! (close to 70 chicks), 4 newborn lambs, 3 newborn kids.... sigh..... But, when you have critters, some years are worse than others. I'm ready for a GOOD year to come. Hang in there Terri, and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  08:05:13 AM  Show Profile
Terri, my DH does "the deed" at our house too and he has the guts that I don't to do this. I am so grateful for it. He feels very bad about it but it's just what has to be done and he makes it a much better situation than a scary visit to the vets. You know how they all get so nervous about that!
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  5:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Terri my heart just breaks for you and your husband. I am the one who has had to do those things - when my husband was alive I was the still the one. I know words will never be able to mend the break that these wonderful dogs make in our hearts - I have lost two and my oldest and dearest girl has been working her self into the ground having to be on mountain lion watch for the past two weeks. With all the losses I have experienced I still cry at the thought of my two pry's who are not with me anymore. I wished we could make it better but just try and remember all the great days - that is what I do when the tears start to roll down my checks. I also remind myself to spend as much time loving them while they are here. BIG HUGS and sloppy Pry kisses from the Funny Farm.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Livestock Guardian Dogs... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page