nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  11:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard from friends and neighbors that there wasnt going to be enough food at the grocery stores or that it would be so expensive that some of us wouldnt be able to afford certain things, like meat, milk, etc.. I have been hearing this from co-workers, in laws, neigbors, even my HB has customers telling him that at his work as well. Its not just my religious friends that are concerned, but many people in my are seem to be stocking up at the grocery stores. I have also noted that the grocery store shelves do not seem to be as full as they used to be. has anyone else noticed this? or am I concerned about nothing?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  11:39:22 AM  Show Profile
I haven't heard this and my local store has all kinds of stuff and new products constantly. We have several new stores and restaurants being built in town as well. The economy seems to be booming here. My mom says it's the same where she live in Virginia. I see all this talk about horrible times on the TV but it just doesn't seem to be happening here.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  11:55:39 AM  Show Profile
I think people are worried and they probably should always be worried about taking care of themselves....... We take alot of things for granted. We've been using credit for a long time. Remember layaway and paying cash for things? We've been living in Disneyland the last 30 years.

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  11:59:40 AM  Show Profile
I haven't heard anything--but as for food stuffs I do buy directly from the local farms. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  12:39:40 PM  Show Profile
Maybe it's the high price of deisel and truckers can't afford to buy it. I heard on the news a few days ago there was supposed to be a truckers rally in Washington. They were expecting over 200 trucks but only about 20 showed up because they couldn't afford to get there. How bad is that?

I think that is probably going to hit this country hard if deisel does not go down. People should be worried if they have to depend on truckers to deliver their food.

But my husband works for Heartland trucking and they are supposed to be building a new terminal in Tx. I think he said. So they are doing ok. They're running him pretty good right now.

I have not heard any talk like that around here, though.
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  12:48:52 PM  Show Profile
I have noticed in several stores that the shelves are unusually low of supplies. That's why I started canning this year (it's been about 4 years since I canned)
Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  12:54:32 PM  Show Profile
I have heard it on the news here that prices in the grocery store could get out of reach for many. Some things are already out of our reach, like the price of organic meats. Even the non-organic meats are really high. I have all the fruits and veggies we need from the garden and the trees around town. I have one more 50lb bag of potatoes coming, too. If I get an elk this year, the meat part will be taken care of. That just leaves dairy, flour and sugar.

Here's to hoping I get an elk this year!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  12:54:46 PM  Show Profile
No, not here at least.
But I do try to stock up myself.
I mean, when things are on a good sale I buy a little extra and put it in my storage. That way i have always something for those "no-money" days.
And those days are plentiful, lemme tell ya! I don't drive but all the rest is getting quite expensive!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  1:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Lisamarie I have my fingers crossed for you

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  1:19:14 PM  Show Profile
I sure haven't noticed anything like that around here. All seems to be booming as usual. I have yet to see any hard times around where I live.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  1:22:55 PM  Show Profile
No problem with supplies or prices here. I'm not doing any panic buying, but like Marian I do stock up when things are on a good sale.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  1:27:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Miss Wilma. I'm sure that will help a lot!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  1:39:41 PM  Show Profile
I have noticed a little. I was down in the Salt Lake Valley last week and the stores seem to be filled. I had noticed that they might not be carrying some of the specialty items that might be a one time purchase (like canning supplies). In the stores that I did find canning supplies they were a lot more than up here in Montana. I am noticing here in Montana that the stores seem to stock less often. They get stuff in but that the turn around time is slower. I always have tried to have food storage on hand, even just an 72 hour emergency kit.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  1:49:43 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, did you have your own household when Y2K was approaching? I use that time to guide my stored foodstuffs now....figured anything can happen at anytime and best be a bit prepared at all times. I don't go to the extents I could with storing foodstuffs, but would like to be able to survive a few months without reliance on any grocery store. There would be some sacrifices but we'd survive...not starve at least but how balanced my diet would be would be determined on the time of year (summer versus winter).

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  1:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Foodwise, there have not been many changes or lack of food. Gaswise is just the opposite. As quickly as the gasoline stations get gas in, it goes. There was not one single station near us that had gas on Saturday and there are six within two miles of my house. I don't know if people were panicing or what, but it's pretty crazy. It has been better this week, thank goodness. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  2:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know that places like Winco have restricted how much rice you can buy in one go. People are stocking up, which I think is wise. You need to be prepared. But if people are buying more than is the norm, the stores ordering ratios will take a while to catch up. I know that grocery stores will shrug off good days now and then and even good weeks, but if demand keeps up then they will stock more.

As long as farmers are farming, and ranchers are ranching, we will have food some how. But now might be the time to really look into that local food supply. Can you get your meat from a meat locker or a local rancher instead of the grocery store? Do you have a flour mill close by? Any U-Pick or CSA Farms? Reducing food miles will help out a lot!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  2:10:58 PM  Show Profile
Thru out this year I have gone and bought basic staples like flour sugar, coffee, meal,etc and put them in the freezer, Have found this works very well as I do not go to the grocery store very often now.I dont know how the money situation would work out here but food wise we could survive for at least two years

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  2:12:05 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Jami, I'm not exactly a youngster (but I'm not old either!), but Y2K didn't seem to bother me much. I've been far more concerned about keeping things on hand and becoming more self sufficient over the past couple years as the economy seemed more and more qwirky. Especially since we live 40 miles from the nearest store.

We have other problems up here that can prevent us from getting to the store (mudslides, rock slides, avalanches, car problems, etc) so stocking up is always a good idea up here, anyway. And if we forget something while we're down there we learn to do without because we can't just make a quick run back to the store. So, I guess, we've been getting little lessons in making do and doing without for many years now ;)

Farmgirl Sister #35

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  2:19:29 PM  Show Profile
So far things are about normal here. Prices are up but I think that's pretty much the same around the country. I wouldn't doubt that things will get worse before they start getting better. Depending on who you're listening too, we are either fine and no worries or we are on the brink of the next Great Depression. I just know that next year the garden is going to be 3 times as big and I'll be doing a lot more canning. I just hope the economy holds out that long! I can't do much about stabilizing the stock market but I can put food by so at least I feel that I'm doing something.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  7:24:28 PM  Show Profile
I am not panicking just yet, but I am shopping a little more cautiously. I have not noticed a difference in stock at stores or lack there of either. The stores I frequent is either good will, or super target. We all know, target probably won't fold anytime soon.
Have faith, I am sure we will all be okay one way or another. I don't see us all starving to death anytime soon, we all love each other too much to not help one another.

Now, those greedy jerks on wall street, well that is whole 'nother thread...they can all starve and hang for all I care.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  7:35:55 PM  Show Profile
I work in the grocery business and haven't heard anything about shortages. the only thing is that organic/natural turkeys are going to be expensive this year - there was a crop failure last year and it sounds like maybe again this year, so if you have opportunity to buy from someone local this would be a good year to do so.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  7:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I asked Doug how the Grocery ordering system works and he said that big shifts in buying patterns can take a store up to a year to fully adjust (Supply lines and all that). However they do try to order more if they see a run on say- rice- for a prolonged period of time (More than a week). They are cautious about ordering too much as they don't want to be stuck having paid for groceries that no one is buying.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  10:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Most ordering in large stores is done by automatic replenishment. And most are cutting back on what's in the stock room and how many are on the shelf. If there's any "run" on an item, like with rice recently, it can cause shortages-which just makes people think they need to stock up and causes a worse problem. Ask those in the south what happens when an ice storm is forecast...no bread, milk or other staples to be found, as the people rush to buy just in case they can't get to the store or the trucks can't get to the store.
I've been in retail merchandising for nearly 29 years and much is changing in the entire industry...but then, the whole world is changing too.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  11:27:45 PM  Show Profile
keep in mind too that many stores go through an annual inventory that for most starts in January.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  03:30:24 AM  Show Profile
As with the Y2K, don't buy into the media hype

Be realistic but not panicky

Haven't seen anyndifferenct here in NC

Go to the bigger cities and I see NO indications of recession. (Raleigh) People are everywhere buying their stuff and packing the streets as usual. Even our smaller town of Asheboro is booming.

Go shop in any Saturday or sunday afternoon, and it's all crowded with overstocked shelves.

Our freezer is slammed full of meat and veggies. We are eagerly awaiting our hog to go to market next month too.

Country folks can survive
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  12:32:18 PM  Show Profile
well thank you farm girl sisters. Your thoughts are making me feel better. It just seems like people I speak to in my little corner, good paying jobs are harder to come by, gas of course is too high, I have a few friends who are loosing their houses, one even is loosing her home, HB took a cut in pay 3 times, b4 his company let him go completly. Now she finds out the the rental house they just got into , the owner is also going thru BQ. Maybe they are all not 'good stewards of their money', to quote a famous book,

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Coming to an End Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page