Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Living the Simple Life - What Does It Mean to You?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Living the Simple Life - What Does It Mean to You? Next Topic
Page: of 2

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  10:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Well, my farmgirlfriends have convinced me it's time to pull the plug on the TV. That's been one of the steps I've been contemplating in my quest for a simpler, more fulfilling life. I've also been reading "The Good Life" by Helen and Scott Nearing. Simple isn't always easier. A lot of times it's more physical work and/or more time-consuming. But the rewards are so much greater.

We've been making the change to be more environmentally conscious (how's that for a couple of buzzwords?) for a few years. But the last few months - since MaryJane entered my life - have really been an eye opener. I didn't realize how much I missed embroidering, cross-stitching, baking, etc. until I started doing it again. And what was so all-fired important to push it out of my life in the first place? And just how many books and magazines do I really need? How much is society dictating my life? How much am I really consciously choosing?

Join me for the journey.....

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  10:34:10 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message

Simple living is my MOTTO right now. We are selling off EVERYTHING we can, not just for money or space, but for peace of mind and more time to do the things we love and be with each other. About 1 year ago, right before we moved (for the 3rd time) I realized how much time I was devoting to just cleaning the "stuff" in our house. I realized we are not collectors, like things simple in decor but with lots of tropical color and we rather ride our bikes, play outside, going swimming, walk, enjoy a good meal---all things we never had the "time" to do because of the constant worry over cleaning, organizing of stuff. I REALLY love a good clean house, take pride in it and it was overwhelming me. Now, with a kiddo, dog and hubby, chaos it to be expected, but I wasn't living, I was just doing.

Forward to now, the house is pretty much organized, cleaned out, cleaned up and I honestly spend about 2 hours a week doing the scrubby cleaning work, laundry is easier to handle now, so that gets done probably 3x a week, pick up is a breeze and my house now looks presentable 99% of the time. I have spent more time outdoors, family time and this has resulted in happier people and I lost 20 lbs. YEAH!!!

It getting to the root was of what we really want to spend our time, energy and money on and then doing it. The rest is no sense and we rather pass that along to someone else than hang onto for a million years. What helped us achieve where we are is we both dreamed of living in a simple beach cottage, picture something that you would rent for the season and ask yourself- well what would I bring.It really helped us see clearly what was important and now we are working towards the goal of that beach cottage. We have always wanted to be beach bums (but employed ones...ha) and that is the simple life for us. I am trying to be organic with food, using a clotheslines, using vinegar and baking soda- those thing are evironmentally simple to me.

Hope that explains it for ya..for now...I am sure I will think of some more brilliant reasons while I am off the internet... : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Edited by - catscharm74 on Sep 23 2008 10:34:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  10:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
http://www.countryliving.com/homes/house-tours/big-color-tiny-house-0808

Check out this link...it is very similiar to my dream beach house...execpt my color palette would be a little different, but you get the idea...enjoy!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  11:13:39 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
I agree with you. I have gone through so many things and gotten rid of so much in the last year. I had a yard sale and took about 20-30 bags to our local thrift store. I look back at pictures of our house and can't believe how much unnecessary stuff I had.

I love the pictures of the cottage. It looks so happy. I love the kitchen, bath and utility closet.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  11:22:54 AM  Show Profile
Heather, that is just perfect. I'm movin' in tomorrow!
I am currently trapped by the things that I have. To live simply. I need to be less of a consumer and more of a make-do-er. I need to get rid of two-thirds of my possessions and live happily with what I really need. There will always be too many books, but there is other stuff that we don't need. To live simply I need to simply live =) Stop buying too much junk!
I'm workin on it.
It's easier once you get going and see how much space and less clutter you have!

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  11:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ruth and all...do you feel it is part of some sort of next step in your life? For us and for me in particular, it is. For many years, I lived a life as others wanted to see it and now, I live MY life MY way and I live in truth of who I really am. I always dreamed of a beach house and life- nothing fancy, literally a run down shack with electricity and a fabulous claw foot tub to soak in. Everyone said it would take money, take this, take that but simple living has lead me down that path and my dreams are now coming true.

Once I pared down to the stuff I loved, my life became that much richer. I realized I hung onto stuff- materially or thinking wise, for too long. I defined my simple life and now I am living it.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Edited by - catscharm74 on Sep 23 2008 11:24:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  11:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am in a "do over" stage of my life. Maybe that is what happens at 45. But I am "shedding" off all the things that I was involved with that I either said yes to and shouldn't or said yes to with the wrong motives.. and just being true to the things that I am most passionate about. So that is one way. The other is I have started to not buy things that I don't "need". I write it down and then just wait and see if I really need that in my life or if it is just something I want, it is interresting the things you can do without. I am also slowing my life down being more available and present to each day.. So for me it is being in integrity with who I want to be and not what I have allowed others to define me as.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  12:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Amen to that Rene!! Can I get a YEE HAW!!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  1:17:45 PM  Show Profile
To me a simple life is a life that isn't cluttered with unimportant things, so that there is time for the important things. I am really in the midst of evaluating what is important and what is not. My kids are growing up so fast and I don't want to miss it. We just closed our Real Estate Guide (yes, we can thank our lovely economy for that!) and over the summer I closed my antiques shop. I love being creative, so am hoping to do something creative but where it fits into my family and not the other way around. I love the saying "the most important things in life aren't things." It is so true and I am trying to keep that perspective daily. Right now things are tighter than they have been in years, but they are also right where they should be. Today I am spending the day cleaning and sorting. Tomorrow I am planning a baking day. These are things that got majorly neglected before. I want to always have time for a friend in need, to be there to cheer my son on in football, to listen to my husband play drums in the Symphony, etc. By removing the "time clutter" in my life, I have time for that. I will never do another PTA fund raiser, I will never be a phone solicitor, I will never waste time on things that have no eternal value again. Family and friends are forever and that is what my focus should always be. But getting there isn't easy, as it goes against the grain of the world, which is doing everything at a frantic pace. Learning to say no has been the most freeing thing I have ever done! LOL!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  1:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Brenda,
I so know where you "are". Isn't it funny how sometimes we have to be clear on what we dont want, to figure out what we do? I know first hand that you are extremely talented and gifted. I know what you mean about kids growing up to fast.. where are those "pickle jars" that people talk about, maybe we can find a few and stuff them in there.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  1:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, just to let ya'll know I am reading your posts but am currently brain dead. A symptom of HMA (Heirloom Maven Addiction for the uninitiated) Love what everyone has to say and it sounds like we're all in a 'rethinking our priorities' stage. It's a good place to be, not?

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
One thing that help me prioritize was this: Places and things are not important. People and the relationships you have with them are.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:18:04 PM  Show Profile
"Simple living is about recognizing that degrees are degrees, jobs are jobs, and the paycheque is money. NONE of these things is who we are deep inside." -Guide to Simple Living, Janet Luhrs.

I've had that quote up on my vision board for over a year now and it's one of my favourites. For me, simple living is really figuring out what is most important to you and doing it, no matter what society, family, or friends think. Last year I left my stable gov't job, we packed everything we needed into a 4x8' trailer and moved out to my step-grandpa's old place in the country. It was scary! But now I get to spend everyday with my hubby, cook wonderful nourishing food, read lots of (library)books, and learn how resourceful and creative we can be. We don't have much, in fact I'm pretty sure we're poor as church mice, but for me, life is about a lot more than money and career.

Steps we've taken towards a simpler life:
- we're on the basic-est of cable, and I listen to the radio much more - which I love! (Vintage favourites Sunday Afternoons, Big Band Saturday Nights...)
- second-hand clothes, mend and make do, sewing our own.
- canning and freezing, growing our own veg
- cooking from scratch
- enjoying the little no-cost things; picnics, a game of dominoes after lunch, a walkabout
- old reliable cars

Sometimes simplifying is hard work. Canning is never ending right now, and after this summer I now know the limits of my gardening desires (weeding is just not my thing..), cooking from scratch takes time but my sense of accomplishment is so much greater than if I just bought something pre-made.

Isn't it funny how simple living is really just being able to stand there, take a deep breath, and say "This is me, this is how I choose to live my life." It's about being conscious participant, and not a bystander!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:19:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the "My lord! this room is actually nice looking with out all the junk" stage...trying to prune my belongings to fit my smallish space, looking into simplifying all things, holidays, food, etc.
I love the simple feeling of a good cup of fair trade organic coffee being sipped while sitting in my pj's on my deck and watching my neighbours goats and horses, or at night, watching the stars...life is simple, we make it complicated with material and emotional commitments. We can let go and go to that simple place, it just takes a will and the desire to do so.

I'll step off my stump, but this is how I feel.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:26:35 PM  Show Profile
Interesting thread. You girls are living proof that bold steps or baby steps...moving in the direction of being authentic to ourselves has great rewards personally and for our families. I think of simplifying as decluttering life-whether it's real tangible things or just too many activities away from home.

Getting rid of the clutter just like Heather and have been reorganizing and what I like to call "gleaning" the house...take what you've got left and make something out of it--selling off a few things to replace with one neat old find that has more purpose and usefulness. I cleaned up my schedule from clutter too...keep it to work, the farm chores, home chores and the stuff I like to do (joyful things) and forget the stuff that doesn't bring me joy and in return I don't take joy to it.

My new motto is the "make do" motto...you all know the one.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Our household is a strange mix. Both my husband and I are very techie when it comes to the computer, but we refuse to get a cell (except for a tracphone for emergencies). We have a MP3 player to listen to books on long car trips and during house cleaning, and my husband would be very sad without his fancy dancy TV. He is an avid sports fan and I think I would get served divorce papers if I suggested getting rid of it.

That being said, he likes to garden to some extent and he is really proud of my crafting and such. He actually really likes having me be a stay at home mom and wife.

We made do or do without on almost everything. We have very few splurges. This lifestyle was brought on by necessity but I plan on keeping it in place even after we are more financially stable. I think it is a great way to live if we have some saving set aside so we won't feel scared when the bills come in the mail! *LOL*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
Some of the things that come to mind about the simple life to me are, contendedness because of a life lived by the code of integrity, high on my list is living within ones means and if possible below ones means so you have some to share with others, it brings much peace. Stopping to make choices about what works and is important to us as a family versus what someone says should be important to us, and sticking with those choices. Taking time to know older people and listen to them and their lived wisdom. Being out in God's creation fills up my soul and fills me with praise and worship for the Creator...simple means quiet and purposeful living, looking on purpose for the joy...Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  8:55:20 PM  Show Profile
I am with you Debbie. JOY is the key word to a simple life.

I have in the past five (or so) years pared down "stuff" from over flowing-almost borderline hording (okay, maybe not THAT bad) to a little cluttered ( I hate housework) but much happier life.
I have donated carloads of "stuff" I thought would make me happy. It was actually like an albatross around my neck. Each time I pare down the "stuff" the happier I become, even if it just a little bit I drop off at good will.

Of course not buying more stuff, I have more money too.

And I only buy something if I NEED it. Wanting something, I have to contemplate for a while before I buy it.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Sep 23 2008 8:55:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  06:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Heather, that cottage is so cute! And relaxing!

Rene, your post about saying yes when it isn't what's really right for you hit home with me. I've been working on that a lot the last few years and am much better. When I read that yesterday though I realized I'm in the wrong Bible study group at church so last night I switched from the Beth Moore group (which is wonderful and I do enjoy) to the Women of Praise group (where my heart is as I love praise music). It felt easy and comfortable to just slide right in there.

So many of you talk about how important decluttering (tangible and non-tangible things) is and that's one of my biggest problems. I want a lot of this stuff out but (1) I have trouble making decisions, (2) the "I might need it someday and don't want to have to buy another one" mindset is ingrained in me from my depression-era parents and (3) there's a lot of sentimental stuff mixed in with the junk and I'm afraid to just pitch a box without looking through it. I've been telling my husband I just need someone to sit with me and keep me on track while I go through things. I love the quote by William Morris: "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." Decluttering for me is a long journey.

Having said that, what flipped the switch for you, Kate? And got any mind-shifting tips for me???

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  6:18:19 PM  Show Profile
What flipped a switch for me was I had friends over, and my friend's guy said that I have lots of "stuff". Kinda the pot calling the kettle black, since she has a garage, two large storage rooms and a shed full of stuff. Most of which, she/they will probably never use.
So, I had my Dad back his trailer up to my back door and whatever I didn't donate, I chucked. It took almost six months and four trailer loads to the dump, plus the piles of stuff I donated, to get rid of it. Now it is more managable.

A lot of it, I just mindlessly got rid of-I didn't dwell on it, or think on it too long.
You are just thinking too hard about it. If you haven't used it for at least a year, get rid of it. and just so you know, that may need it someday excuse. I have only regretted throwing one thing out, and it wasn't expensive to replace.

If it is something odd or spendy, and smallish, and you have a place for it (key words there)-keep it.
For example, the drain snake I have that coils up-spendy? not really, but when you need something like that, you are glad you have it and made a place for it. Especially when your hardware store closes at six most nights, and Home Depot is 40 minutes away.

I still have some things I should get rid of. But now, I have the stuff in my house I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE.
Plus it makes room for the new stuff that you LOVE LOVE LOVE, or NEED NEED NEED.

The one thing I am debating on is my breadmaker. My shoulders are bad, so kneading dough strikes fear and dread in me and my advil bottle. Bread is so expensive now, I may have to dig that out and start making my own. So for now it is tucked away in a spot waiting to learn its fate.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Sep 24 2008 6:21:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  06:00:28 AM  Show Profile
I agree with all you gals. I went through that this summer. My hubby deceided to remodel our house, in doing so, I had to move this here and there and back again. I learned exactly how much unneeded "stuff" I really had and how it stressed me that I had no place to put it. Once the rooms started getting finished I didn't want to ruin the look by putting all the "stuff" back into it. So started the major clean out. I too had a garage sale and have taken many trailer loads to the dump and good will. It really is cleansing to get rid of all the things that are not needed. It has also awaken me up to how much money I acctully spend unnessisarily. I looked at some of this stuff and said why did I think I needed that. Since coming to MaryJanes sight I have gotten back to the basics. I picked up my crocet hook I haven't touched in 20 years. I am going to sit down here in a little while and try to embrodery it has been at least 20 years, I started gardening and canning again. I feel more calm and more relaxed. I do have a ways to go but the progress is very refreshing. Simple is always better.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  09:27:44 AM  Show Profile
Books, oh I love books. Otherwise I have a small house and nottoo much stuff. (except canning jars as my mom reminds me) All the moves have kept me pretty thinned downed, but after reading here there are a few drawers that need a looking over. I have a box of old videos I keep meaning to send off to recycle and just haven't done yet. That needs to be nearer the top of my list. I'm not tv free, but I don't have cable, so I only get a few channels anyways. Simpler is also cleaner and I do like tidy.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  09:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Can I add some more 2 cents??? : )

I once attended a woman's workshop whose intention it was to make you realize your real true goals and dreams to come true. The simpliest question asked was "What type of lifestyle did you see yourself living as a child?" My answer was "Beach bum." A child's perspective tends to be true because they may carry their caregivers ideas but they are well known for calling it like it is and for their creativity. Not that I didn't want to work but I want to live in flip flops, shorts and tanks, eating seafood, riding my bike, swimming and living in a little cottage. Then I met hubby who had almost the exact dream in life- he dreamed of buying a small boat and sailing in warm seas, island to island, working as a handyman to make money. I think we are the sum of our good thoughts and we can "make" the life we want, as long as we do it with an intentional and good heart. So that is where we are focusing right now.

When I first got married, I moved in with hubby and then both of us left on deployment, both came back, we got pregnant and life was on fast forward for a L O N G time. I got to the point where I just couldn't keep up. It wasn't from having a new baby, hubby helped out where he could, we simple were very disorganized and cluttered and packed to the rims. Each time we have moved, we have sold off or just given away so much stuff. We are down to the basics now, with maybe 2 bins of stuff left to do something with. I wrote the date on them of when I packed them. If a year from now, we still have them, they are being donated. Life is too short!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Edited by - catscharm74 on Sep 25 2008 10:05:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  12:21:27 PM  Show Profile
The simple life is the best. It may mean that you have to work harder but you won't be bogged down with all the "things". I have found that it has been great to declutter. Less to clean and more time to spend here.l
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  3:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Kate, I read your post to my hubby. He loved it because he has said (too many times to count) he would just love to back a dump truck up to the house and shove it all in. I'm going to take your advice and just mindlessly pitch. The excess/replacable stuff won't be hard but the sentimental stuff will. However, I've decided on a criteria for that.

Our dream - mine especially - is to build on the 20 acres about a half mile down the road where my great-grandparents had their cabin. I told my hubby last week that we could always sell this house and fix up the pole barn enough to live in for awhile til the new house is built. So then I started looking at everything through the lens of "Is this important enough to move into the barn?" A lot of "I need this's" have become yard sale/donate/pitch items. One my rib relocates itself, I'm on the warpath!

Keep the posts coming, ladies. I need all the inspiration and accountability you can muster!!!

God bless -
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  4:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Karen- Yay! That is awesome! When we moved we had a huge garage sale and donated about 3 car loads worth of things to the Salvation Army. On top of that we filled our garbage cans several times and even took a load to the dump (and really should have taken two!)

Even still I feel like I have too much stuff. I am on the downsizing warpath as well. If it isn't a beloved item, necessary (for mental or physical well being) then I am going to seriously consider if it needs to be here or not. There are a few things that I just really enjoy- like my tea cup collection that is not going anywhere any time soon!

One thing I have started doing is tucking a few things in with ever box I send out to farmgirls. Just little things that are nice but that don't really have a home here anymore. It's a great way to hopefully find new homes for nice things. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Living the Simple Life - What Does It Mean to You? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page