FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  2:01:58 PM  Show Profile
Anyone ever had sneezing chickens? They are also coughing and producing mucus. Yuck. We started them on treated feed to try to combat the snot, but it's not helping. We have lost a few. Only the chickens have it, not the Guineas. Had to stop eating the eggs due to the medicated feed.

Any suggestions? Should we just kill them all and start over in the spring or try to wait this out?

Thanks,

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  6:49:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey Lora, looks like your not having any luck with your chickies. Sounds like they're really sick, especially if your losing some, too.
How long have you had them?
I've never had that to happen to mine. I have like barking chickens sometimes. It's weird but it sounds like a bark. Maybe it is a sneeze, just loud.
I wish you luck and hope you don't lose anymore and they pull through this quick.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  9:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
if you call a nice vet they should tell you if the chickens need more antibiotic than the feed provides. i know you can buy it at a feed store if you need it. in fact if the feed store personnell are knowlegeable they should be able to give you some advice. hope they pull thru! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Lulu
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Aunt Lulu
Michigan
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  07:11:46 AM  Show Profile
Do any of your chickens have eyes that are swollen shut? Are they extending their necks to breath? Are they coughing up mucus and blood?

TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED......IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  4:43:21 PM  Show Profile
No mucas or blood, but we did have a few that has swollen shut eyes. We separated them from the rest for a while and they seemed to get over it. However a few of those eventually died. I am ready to cull them all and start over after we disinfect the coop.

Lora

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Lulu
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Aunt Lulu
Michigan
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  6:16:46 PM  Show Profile
Could be ILT (Infectious Laryngotracheitis). Google it and see if your birds have the symptoms. I don't think your Guineas will get it. Did you add any birds to your flock lately, or do you have neighbors nearby with chickens?

TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED......IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  11:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Yes, my hubby bought 5 at the auction. I will look that up and see if that's it.

Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  11:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Lora, This may sound dumb, but what does your signature line mean? "If it ain't red, leave it in the shed." Just curious.

Barb
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  3:13:10 PM  Show Profile
I think she is referring to those "green" tractors...wink! wink! So, if it isn't a Farmall/Case/International Harvester it aint worth a hoot! LOL!

See, we Deere lovers dont need a catchy line to gain atteniton.... John Deere's stand all on their own!!

Lora: You know I love you girl!

Did you figure out your chickens? Can you call me at work tomorrow and let me look it up for you? I work at a hatchery. 1.888.568.9755.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  8:40:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, DEEREdawn - You are right about the tractor part. Can't help it - 37 years of red (and orange) tractors will do that to a gal. Heck, my grandpa's last combine was an ancient Gleaner. Don't see to many of those any more either.

I will call - I am going to garage sales tomorrow with my rookie and her mother. Hope to find some good buys!!

Thanks,
Lora #358

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  06:47:52 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, when I was little we had red tractors, then I married a JD freak. red will always be my favorite color, but I'd never say that to hubby!

Lora: I checked at work. respitory disease, sneezing, mucus, swollen eyes. Treat this iwth TYLAN. See where you can get it. We have it here if youwnat me to buy it and mail it to you as the chipping would be cheaper that way. lemme know. OH! DO NOT EAT THE EGGS OF INFECTED BIRDS!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sneezing Chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page