Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What kind of apples do you use for pies and sauce?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What kind of apples do you use for pies and sauce? Next Topic  

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  07:50:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm getting ready to make applesauce and pie filling and was wondering what type of apples or a mix of apples do you think would be the best to use?

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  09:30:51 AM  Show Profile
I have received a lot (well for me) pf apples some time ago and still need to do something with them, duh! They smell wonderful, are still very good, so will do it soon, before they rot.
I have sweet apples, and think those are nice for applesauce. And you can make applebutter from both I think??

NO idea about pie filling, but I do remember when my mom made apple pies she always bought the "harder" kind of apples, the more sour ones. Because of the added sugar in a pie, it evens out. I guess if you take sweet apples it might get too much?
I am no expert, mind you :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  2:15:18 PM  Show Profile
I haven't found that there are much difference. I have 2 trees, one a delicious one a Johnathan. I think the delicious is supposed to be sweeter and the Johnathan is supposed to be for pies. Like I said, I can't tell the difference. I planted 2 new trees this past spring. They are Fugi. If I had known that I was going to have soooooooo many apples, I probably would not have planted more trees. This is the best apple crop we have had since I planted my orchard 17 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  2:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I like to use granny smith apples for pie slices that I can up. Applesauce you can use just about anything and it's really good if you use more than one kind of apple. We used to have an OLD apple tree in our yard years ago and it was the best for apple slices. Granny Smiths are the closest I've found to them.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  3:21:24 PM  Show Profile
Granny Smith is probably the most common for pies because they are a bit firmer and hold their shape.

But I use whatever I have on hand.

~Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  3:38:43 PM  Show Profile
I like Golden delicious for applesauce best..and granny smith for pies, or canned pie filling.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  3:49:11 PM  Show Profile
Granny Smith for pies. Various for applesauce - usually dictated on who offers to let me pick for free.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  1:06:40 PM  Show Profile
We always used the Granny Smith as well. They kinda keep that tart taste. Yummy
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  4:20:34 PM  Show Profile
ever hear of winesap? very tart but great for pies and other tasty apple treats
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  8:34:42 PM  Show Profile
My grandma taught me how to make apple pies when I was kid and the only kind of apple she said to use was Jonathan. That is so opposite of what the others are saying-Granny Smith. Does anyone else use Jonathan for pies? I used Lodi once for applesauce and they are the best. In fact when I planted my apple trees two years ago, I planted 3 Jonathan and 3 Lodi. The Lodi are early, usually July around this area. Which is nice because that is usually before alot of my other canning. I have experimented with different apples when making pie. My 12 year old daughter and I are in search of the "perfect recipe". However we keep going back to grandma's tried and true, and she always put in caps on her recipe card "ONLY USE JONATHAN". Isn't it funny how everyone uses a different kind. What my daughter and I have found, and she mentioned this at the last church function that had a pie contest, is that the secret to a good pie is a good crust!

Holly
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  06:12:27 AM  Show Profile
I like to mix things up a bit & use half Granny Smith and half Yellow Delicious when I make apple pie. Both are firm apples, tart (GS) and sweet (YD), a perfect mix for a yummy pie!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What kind of apples do you use for pies and sauce? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page