prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  1:13:38 PM  Show Profile
since it's starting to feel like fall here (early this year... didn't start cooling down last year till October!) i wanted to reflect on the seasons. what do you love about the changing seasons? what will you miss about the warm seasons as we head into fall and winter? comment on whatever you like!

i put up my first clothesline this summer. i will miss doing my laundry that way during the winter. being able to go outside to hang laundry is an enjoyable chore. i don't look foward to using my boring dryer...

we did our last mowing of the yard about a week ago... i won't miss that!

but i will miss working in the garden. but how wonderful it will be to cherish our produce throughout the winter!

fall is my very favorite time of the year! the deep, rich colors. the beautiful leaves. that cool nip in the air. i've decorated my home with my fall decorations already... my house smells of cinnamon and apple candles!

looking foward to comfy sweaters and snowboots and warm mittens and scarves!

and playing in the snow!

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  1:33:50 PM  Show Profile
I love summer, but Fall is my second favorite season.

I love the colors, the pumpkins, acorns falling, leaves turning color, the fall flowers.

Spices, and pumpkin pie! I have one tin left of the pureed pumpkin (bought last year in the USA, not available here) so can make one more pie, yummo! Gonna save it for a special day with friends, lol.

And the Fall tea, fall candles, cinnamon, apples fresh from the tree and so much more!!

Yes, wearing warm sweaters, I am always cold so now is a good excuse for me to wear them again, lol. And mittens and scarves too, and nice warm new coats.

That is what I love about Fall too, the crisp air, fog in the early morning just above the grass, horses in the meadow with their feet in the mist (fog??)

I too have decorated my l. room with pumpkins, my fall angel, candles.

OH I LOVE FALL!!!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  4:35:56 PM  Show Profile
I would have to say Fall is my favorite season by far, then maybe Spring.

I love the crisp air and the fog we get in the morning that hangs low and dosen't burn off til almost noon. I love the way the sky looks at sunset, the pinks and plums shooting across the horizon and then melting into gold and auburn and red.

I get to wear my comfy warm clothes and wander around the yard with a hot cup of choco or tea. The house glows with fall scented candles - apple spice, pumpkin and cranberry. I like to spend Saturday mornings laying in firewood and picking pomagranets from my x-in-laws house and then having breakfast at a local cafe.

We get to hunker down under heavy quilts and down comforters; spend days reading in front of the fireplace and enjoying the smells wafting in from the kitchen. It's crockpot time with hearty stews and ymmy soups.

Nothing seems so urgent in the Fall - the garden has slowed, the lambs are gone and our schedule seems to relax a bit.

I'd love to spend the Fall season in every part of the country, just to how different it is from one place to another.

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  06:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
ya gals got me thinking...now I'm gonna go out and buy fall scented candles!!

One day at a time by the grace of God.
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  06:58:59 AM  Show Profile
yay for soups and stews! my favorite! simple meals you can throw together in minutes and enjoy the aromas throughout the day.

YES! hot drinks, too! apple cider, fall tea (try Republic of Tea's "Hot Apple Cider Tea"... it's yummy!), and hot cocoa! I do the same thing... wander around in my yard with a hot mug of something or other, in my pj's and slippers, watching the last of my garden as it gets ready to harvest... i'm excited for my pumpkins and squash!

i never really had much of a fall before i moved to WY. I lived in AZ most of my life, where it doesn't get very cold at all in the winter. then living in HI, of course we don't have any fall at all. but i got out of the navy in october and we stayed with my in-laws for awhile in Denver, CO. BOY! it was the most beautiful season i'd ever seen! partly because i felt like i was starting a new life after my 6 years in the navy, moving on to the next chapter. but we actually savored that fall, went and picked pumpkins out of a patch and went to a small fall festival and tried pumpkin cake rolls and homeade apple cider.... i kind of fell in love with fall from then on. so our new tradition is to always do something for fall. First year we went on a beautiful hike where the trail was covered in yellow fallen leaves. last year we went fishing and bbq with squash and zucchini. this year, maybe we'll go camping. take the telescope to look at the fall stars.
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2008 :  10:19:30 PM  Show Profile
I too will miss hanging my clothes on the line.
Cool wet toes while flood irrigating will be missed.

I am happy to see the pumpkins we grew turning from deep dark green to orange.
The wood pile is stacked and waiting to be used for cozy warm evenings by the fire.
My knitting needles are patiently waiting for longer nights to create wooly wear.

Each season seems to have its pleasures and I feel fortunate to live where we have 4 seasons and can celebrate them all, especially fall.

Eat a caramel apple!
barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2008 :  10:53:34 PM  Show Profile
Fall - I love the lesser humidity (although my skin protests, and requests plenty of moisturizer!). The lengthening nights means the animals are abed earlier, so I have more time in the evening to have a glass of wine, read, or maybe stitch a project. Fall means soups and stews and roasts, more baked goods, less salads. It will stay warm here through to November, however, but that's fine by me!

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dasparky
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter; Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275

Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  5:59:15 PM  Show Profile
today was our first cold day due to a passing storm... it may even snow tongight! but i got to experience that feeling when you are able to sit inside your cozy house when it's cold outside. there's no feeling like it. i just feel at ease. i have a lovely smelling ham in the oven. oh, and i was able to wear my flannel pajamas last night! i love that, too!

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  6:20:22 PM  Show Profile
What beautiful thoughts you share. Does anyone read Phyllis Tickle? She has several lovely books on the sacred days of the seasons, based on her life on the family farm in Tennessee. Her website is here, www.phyllistickle.com, and you can find her books on Amazon.com.

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  7:25:49 PM  Show Profile
I do like to wear sweaters and do the layered thing.

It does tend to be a lot slower in fall. The animals even seem to notice it. I don't feel like I have to hurry up and get things done so fast now.

The house seems to have a good smell. The cooking smells last longer now, too.

And the extra blankets on the bed.

Sunsets and sunrises are more spectacular, also. More detailed.

And the smell of smoke from fireplaces and leaves and brush burning.

UM, yummy fall, with all the good hearty foods and lots of apples and pears.
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic meditations for the seasons Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page