Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What's Happening in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's Happening in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  2:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Belle! You are an inspiration to me!!!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  8:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny....you talked about having peaches left over from the previous year. When we opened a jar of peaches from 06 they weren't very good, so I assumed they didn't last more than a year. Am I wrong, are they supposed to last longer?
Also, while we are on the subject of what everyone is canning, I have a couple of questions. First of all, how does everyone store their empty jars. I have them all over the place and there has got to be a more organized way to store them. Second, I know a lot of you have your own fruit trees, mine are still too small. How much does everyone pay in different parts of the country for their fruit? I just finished the last of my peaches and I paid $28 for a half bushel. I called yesterday about apples and they are running $26-$30 a bushel. I just thought it would be interesting to see the difference in price, if there is any.

Holly
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  04:24:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Holly! We have a big closet in my son's playroom where I keep all my jars. There is also a little hidden closet under the stairs where I keep some, too. I have heard of people storing them under all the beds in their house, too. I think if you do quite a bit of canning, you are bound to have some spread out through the house. This summer I paid $45 a bushel for my peaches. I am not sure if that would have been cheaper if I had picked my own at the orchard, but that just wasn't an option this year with my 18 month old. We have a couple old apple trees in our yard that I have been making applesauce with, but I may go to the orchard and get a few more, so I will try to let you know about those.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  07:36:14 AM  Show Profile
We are lucky enough to have a celler. I keep my store bought canned stuff, extra cleaning supplies, big pans, plastic containers, well stuff like that in the celler. I have a couple of shelves just for empty jars. I have an old towel on the shelf and store the jar upside down. When I am ready to can, I run a dishwasher full and I have jars for 2 or 3 canners. I do not store my home canned stuff in the celler. Don't know why. I think I just like to look at it everytime I open the pantry.

Apples are $30 a bushel? Wow! I have a fortune in my orchard. Funny though, I can't get anyone to come pick. We took a couple of big sacks to our Greatgrandsons birthday party on Saturday. A couple of the granddaughters wanted some more. I told them to drop by anytime and we'll pick as many as they want. You know what one of them said? "oh, I don't have time to pick".

Today there is not much going on in the kitchen. Need to cut okra and might do a little more cleaning garden beds.
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  08:50:51 AM  Show Profile
I am still dealing with pears and apples! *U* Won't complain though...I am surrounded by orchards and get them free.

Dalyn

Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  10:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Holly,
I can get a bushel of apples from the orchard, already picked, for $18. I haven't had time to go yet but I hope to do apples next week.
Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  11:17:09 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine is going up to Dayton, Tn. to an orchard later this week. We always just get 2nds. This year they are $10 a big box full. Don't know if it's a bushel or a half. I guess it'd be a bushel.
We'll be making cider on Saturday!!!!!! They've already done some last week and got only about 2 gallons from 1 box. Lots of waste. ( My pigs will love that!)

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  12:43:04 PM  Show Profile
In my kitchen today, I made MaryJane's spaghetti pies. I made a tossed salad, a loaf of bread and took them with one of the pies to a friend who is having a hard time cooking. The recipe makes two pies, and we love it!

If anyone wants the recipe, I can post it here. It was in the MaryJanes Farm cookbook that was printed in limited edition by a farmgirl about a year and a half ago. It is so easy to make, and to freeze and to share also!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  9:13:18 PM  Show Profile
Belle, I would come pick in a heartbeat to get lots of apples. The orchard I go to doesn't let you pick. I have 4 kids and that is the fun part for them. Where is Coffeyville? We are about 5 minutes from the Missouri/Kansas state line. Isn't it sad that so many people miss out on neat things like picking apples. I guess that is not everyone's idea of fun, but to most it must seem like work. Your granddaughter's are missing out in my opinion. I wish my grandma had apple trees, after all she is the one who taught me how to make the most tasty apple pie in the world. (Of course that is a matter of opinion!) Sounds like you should be making some money off of your little orchard. How many trees do you have?
Dayln, you say you are surrounded by orchards, are they yours or is there just that much of an abundance? I wouldn't complain either. I need to get some pears for pear butter, but I have a hard time finding an orchard around here who has them.
Thanks to everyone that shared how much they spend for fruit. I think it is interesting to hear what others are getting it for. My grandma will be surprised when I tell her how much they are this year. She still talks about getting them for $15 a bushel. Of course I think everything has gone up in price this year.
I am going to start storing my jars upside down. I don't feel so bad now hearing that others store them "wherever they find room".

Holly
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  9:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Today my kitchen was busy with canning meatballs in spaghetti sauce. I love having jars of meatballs on hand...on a day when I work (I substitute teach at the elementary school) it is nice to make pasta or rice and be able to just open a jar of meatballs and sauce (I have done some in mushroom cream sauce, and bbq sauce and sweet and sour sauce too) and have an easy meal..just add a jar of home canned peaches....easy peasy.
I am baking applesauce muffins tonight..for tomorrow morning's breakfast...the recipe is on my blog tonight..
and tomorrow is salsa canning day again. I have alot of green tomatoes (4 boxes full!)) in the family room ripening..and two big baskets of ripe ones and alot of peppers too..in the kitchen ready for tomorrow's canning.
Jeannie..my kids love that spaghetti pie!! I am not a pasta lover myself..but it is perfect for husband to serve on nights when I have somewhere to go..I get it prepped and he can just pop it in the oven.
Yum...I wish I had a box of pears to can!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  06:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I am in Coffeyville, 60 miles straight west of Joplin. Come on over. I am getting ready to go out and pick some more. I picked 3 grocery bags full yesterday, then came in and made applesauce. After I posted yesterday and said that nothing much was going on in the kitchen, I did the applesauce, put okra in the freezer and put a gallon of jalapenos in the freezer. That is in addition to 3 meals and doing dishes 3 times.

My son and his wife live at my folks homeplace. Daddy planted pear trees at least 50 years ago. There is one lone survivor and still puts on more pears than we can work up. I am afraid my daughter-in-law will show up with a bunch of pears right in the middle of my kitchen full of apples. I have a wonderful recipe for pear and onion relish so will have to make time.
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  07:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Price-wise I think I paid about 10.00 for a large 6-quart basket of peaches (it was the biggest size they were selling.) Tomatoes have been the cheapest, a bushel of romas for 13.00. My pickling cukes were 25.00 a bushel. At the U-pick, I paid 4$ for a basket (probably 6 quarts) of peppers. Not sure about pears or apples. I live in a pear orchard (though it's leased out) and I've gleaned all the Barlett pears I could want for canning. Been selling buckets at the roadside for 3$. I wish there were farmgirls around here, they'd be welcome to pick with me :)

Today I'm making applesauce with some apples I picked from some old trees I found along the railroad tracks by the old abandoned farmhouse. I have no idea what kind they are. One is a tiny little red-streaked number with pinkish flesh, sweet. And the other is similar to a golden delicious but more juicy/tart? Can't beat free! And organic to boot :)

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  06:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
I made tomato juice kinda like the V8 variety this weekend for the first time. I love it. Now I have to go round up some more 'maters to make some more. No fat too!

Thank God I live in the country!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  3:33:04 PM  Show Profile
pear honey?? what's that and Kefir?

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  12:33:43 PM  Show Profile
WOW!! You have all been so busy lately. I need to get off of this forum and get to work!!!!
I have some tomatoes and I want to make some salsa. The rest I am going to dry. I have alot to learn. I have never canned and really want to try.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  12:35:54 PM  Show Profile
Shirley,
Please share that recipe for spaghetti pie. It sounds good.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  3:50:30 PM  Show Profile
made two loaves of homeade bread in the breadmaker today... the house smelled delicious!

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  08:08:37 AM  Show Profile
Made 2 loaves of bread and had apple butter going in the slow cooker last night, house smelled wonderful!
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  09:36:15 AM  Show Profile
I found some good bread recipes in Southern Living this month. So I'm making the Irish Soda bread and have the blueberry bread in the oven now.

Also picked turnip greens and beans and squash from the garden this morning! I put one qt. of greens in the freezer already and am cooking the rest for dinner along with some green beans. Then I'll cook squash later.

Does anyone know what to do with squash besides dry it? I canned some a few years ago but can't seem to find the book I used.

Thanks, Kris

BTW, I love this fall gardening!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  09:45:40 AM  Show Profile
Making bread this morning, starting another batch of apple butter right after lunch. Seems like we are all doing about the same things.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  06:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Kris, i've never heard of drying squash... how do you do that?

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  2:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I just use my dehydrater. Cut the slices about a quarter inch and dry overnight. Then when your ready to use, just soak in warm water. They can be fried or in squash casseroles just like fresh. I've also dried zuchinni, green tomatoes mushrooms, ripe tomatoes. They are so good to eat dried, too. And peppers.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  2:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Today my kitchen was a hub of activity. In the corck pot I have venison, potatos, onions and tomatos with a large sprig of rosemary.... then I made 20 cups of fresh salsa (can that be froze?) if not, then we are eating Salsa Chicken tomorrow night! I also, made a double batch of blueberry sauce for pancakes now that its cooling down some here... eggs were boiled for pickling, and tomorrow will be pear time.
How do you make pear honey?

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's Happening in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page