Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 cinnamon christmas tree decorations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cinnamon christmas tree decorations Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  8:58:44 PM  Show Profile
Be careful to hang them up out of the pets reach (although my cats will climb into the tree after them.) We lost a lot of the ornaments this way! But they sure did make the house smell nice. I used a plain old gingerbread cookie recipe for mine, punched a hole in them before baking and then just strung them with a pretty red satin ribbon - no decorations on them, just plain. They were really nice and made the house smell like cookies and cinnamon. But like I said, the cats and the dog ate them. The cat would knock them off and the dog would grab them. Finally the cat got so frustrated that she just started eating them while they were still on the tree. Found a lot of red satin ribbons on the floor under the tree! (Oh well, it kept the bugs from getting them.)

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  2:33:11 PM  Show Profile
that's funny the cat and dog eating them, the recipe for the cinn. and applesauce it said it wouldn't hurt kids if they did eat any! i really have to get at alot this yr. i got summer savory comming out my ears, to get processed, and some homemade dish cloths to get at. also i make wreaths every yr. and going to have a hard time getting brush this yr. with hubby gone! oh well i will take the four wheeler and do it myself! what is a farm girl for? right? if she can't do?? lol! hope everyone has a happy day jo!

i thought love was all you needed? courage is needed too!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  11:20:32 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to add this to my "what we're going to do on the next rainy day" list - what a wonderful idea - you gals always come through with shining colors. This year, I think my Christmas tree will be these ornaments, a red gingham ribbon and gold or silver balls with white lights. Simple - safe - and yummy smelling!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  11:33:09 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Libbie. Post a picture of your tree when you have it decorated! Sounds lovely! I can already smell the cinnamon!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Lora Mayea
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lora
Paisley Oregon
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  12:27:48 PM  Show Profile
These really are great ornaments--they may rot if they got too much humidity, but in Eastern Oregon desert they last for years. I used to do a Christmas crafts day with local elementary students, and we would use paint pens to decorate--a favorite was Gingerbread people and white paint pens for "ric-rac" outlines, and black for eyes, red for lips, etc. Kids got real creative. There is also puff paint you can buy at craft stores.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  04:57:35 AM  Show Profile
I made these years ago with a playgroup. We store ours in a coffee can between Christmases (also good for storing those painted dough ornaments). You can use royal icing or fabric paints (puffy) to decorate the ornaments. If you worry about someone or some animal eating it, use royal icing.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cinnamon christmas tree decorations Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page