Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 cinnamon christmas tree decorations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cinnamon christmas tree decorations Next Topic
Page: of 2

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  5:16:14 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone out there know how to make those "cookie" like tree ornaments that smell like cinnamon. I bought some at a craft fair that are really cute and shaped like gingerbread men. Please let me know. Thanks, Melanie

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"

Deb H
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Deb
Glendale Missouri
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  6:37:31 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, My daughter and I have made these in past years and I still have some - they still smell good, even after several years. The recipe I used was equal parts of ground cinnamon and applesauce (not the chunky kind). Then you mix it up and roll it out, cut it out with cookie cutters and make a hole for a ribbon with a straw. Then you put them on cookie racks to dry, which takes several days. That's it! Enjoy! Deb :)

"Well-behaved women rarely make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  07:36:06 AM  Show Profile
thanks Deb, I will try these for sure!!

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  07:46:26 AM  Show Profile
Melanie- Here's the recipe I use:
1/8 c. ground cloves
2/3 c. ground cinnamon
3 tsp. nutmeg
3 tsp. allspice
2/3 c. applesauce (plain not chunky and cheap is fine!)
Combine all ingredients in med. bowl. Knead until its cookie dough consistency. Do not double the recipe, make individual batches.

On wax paper, roll out dough until 3/8" thick. Make templates of cardboard for your shapes and cut out with a paring knife. (Or make slight indentation with cookie cutter but cut out with a very sharp knife). Use a straw or toothpick to make a hole for hanging and allow to air dry for 3 days. Carefully turn once a day to prevent warping.
They may be dried in the oven for 3-4 hours on low but I don't think they stay as fragrant. Decorate as you like and tie ribbon for hanging. (I have made these with mini cookie cutter shapes to decorate a tabletop tree, used larger sizes on gift tags, and made these with lots of kids, they are always a hit. Have fun, your house will smell great!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Nov 12 2005 07:48:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  07:54:10 AM  Show Profile
hooray!!! Bramble and thanks. I will try yours as well Thank you , Melanie

Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  09:56:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I'm going to try these this year! Can I dry them in my dehydrator or will they not be as fragrant that way too?

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  12:35:37 PM  Show Profile
We made these about 10 years ago, when my dd was 2 or so. That way if she decided to take one off the Christmas tree and take a bite, it wouldn't hurt her. They do smell wonderful. I may just do this with my youngest this year. Thanks for reminding me!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  12:40:03 PM  Show Profile
Ms.Bramble wonderwoman, knew we could count on ya to come through... We made these for my youngest girls preschool gifts. Naturally the queen of disorganization here lost the recipe. These are so sweet hanging on a tree with other things the kids make. We outlined our trees with green glitter.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  10:08:47 AM  Show Profile
Seems to me that adding a few drops of cinnamon oil while mixing would strengthen the fragrance. Or you could drip a little on old ones to refresh them.

Kewl idea for ornaments, you guys!

Edited by - Horseyrider on Nov 13 2005 10:09:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  11:36:30 AM  Show Profile
yes, vey cool indeed please keep sending the recipes as I will try them all and see which ones I like best. Hooray!!!

Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  4:35:58 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking of making these this year too. The recipe I have is very similar only it also has elmers glue in it?

I was thinking that this would be a cute gift tag as well assumeing you could write on it with a fine tip marker of some sort.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  4:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Could you give us the recipe using elmers glue......Thank you
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  10:30:42 AM  Show Profile
Here's the link to the site that has the recipe I have. I think it would be really YUMMY with the addition of the cloves, nutmeg & allspice like brambles recipe.

http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/dough2.html

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  11:02:15 AM  Show Profile
Marget- I have never tried them in the dehydrator but it might dry them too quickly (ha!) and become even more brittle.Not sure...let me know if you try it.

Girls, I threw away my Elmer's glue recipe because I think that glue smells BAD!It didn't seem to make a superior product when included, in my opinion. Does anyone have a different experience? It would be nice to add something that makes them more durable without sacrificing scent.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2005 :  03:52:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Deb P

Melanie, My daughter and I have made these in past years and I still have some - they still smell good, even after several years. The recipe I used was equal parts of ground cinnamon and applesauce (not the chunky kind). Then you mix it up and roll it out, cut it out with cookie cutters and make a hole for a ribbon with a straw. Then you put them on cookie racks to dry, which takes several days. That's it! Enjoy! Deb :)

"Well-behaved women rarely make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Hi Deb i tried the cinn. ornament recipee and it is super, I can't seem to stop making them, they are fun, and i can't waite to hang some of them on my tree this year. Jo~~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  5:10:08 PM  Show Profile
Uh, this may sound really stupid, but if you wanted to decorate these ornaments, how would yo do that? Do you glue things to them? Or, like with sugar cookies or gingerbread, use royal icing? And, uh, another stupid question: can these ornaments rot? Thanks in advance! -Cat
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  01:52:03 AM  Show Profile
We made these yesterday from the Mccormick recipe online. I am glad to know they will keep, mine didn't have glue. Found another two links today, I am a bit rushed, hope it all makes sense.

http://www.make-stuff.com/projects/cinnamon_ornaments.html

http://www.betterbudgeting.com/frugalcrafts/cinnamonornaments.htm

http://www.mccormick.com/recipedetail.cfm?id=1264

My husband rolled some out with a damp sponge in between the dough and the rolling pin, it seemed to help, the cracked surface indicated it was too dry, I had put a little cinnamon on top to roll, but probably shouldn't have.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  04:06:28 AM  Show Profile
http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=429

This is a good explanation.
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  03:40:58 AM  Show Profile
I have been making these cinn. ornaments, left and right here, since I found the recipee on here, they are so fun to make. I used small chunks of the cinn, left over from the straw,that u make the hole with, for hanging, and made eyes, they seem to be staying good, and a pen or pencill just dab it lightly, to draw out nose, and mouth, it dries with the cookie ornament, eveyone around here,is soo excited. scrambling to make some for xmas, such a good idea. We taped a few on xmas gifts,with yarn int he hole of them to ahng on a tree, and put the recipee inside the gift, cool idea! I have been using saran wrap to roll them out i put one under and one over, it leaves a bit of crack look but i found it easier to peel off, to put out to dry, and u can smooth it out with your fingers or what ever. I also dry them on the saran wrap seems easier to peel off to turn, works well for me anyways, prob wax paper would be good, but didn't have any at the time, so will have to try that too. don't think they rot, probably too dry to rot, i do know they sure smell good.I put a whole bunch of them on my Charlie Brown tree i have in the porch ha ha! I am sooo glad to have found that recipee on here.grandkids love making them too. jo!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  3:35:34 PM  Show Profile
hi girls, well i got some stuff to make some cinnamon decorations with again this yr. they are soooo sweet. i put some of them tied on gifts, and they are good for gifts all by themselves along with my homemade soaps~ it is the best thing i've ever seen. i am sooo glad i found out how to make them from this sight u girls are all so wonderfull friendly and supportive! later jo!p.s. anyone starting them for this yr yet?

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  6:12:30 PM  Show Profile
I have just recently heard about gingerbread ornaments, tempted to try those.

www.homesteadblogger.com/ourlittlehouseintown
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  06:38:32 AM  Show Profile
floral they are really easy, and sooo fun to make, even the little ones can make them. i like tieing plaid ribbon on them for to hang,thay smell sooooo good! jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  11:43:51 AM  Show Profile
We made a ton of these a few years ago. I really should sit with the kids and make more, they look so "country" and smell good.

I put mine in the dehydrator and they've lasted well. I didn't use the glue recipe. Infact I really didn't use any recipe. I started with a bowl of sauce and added cinamon until I had a soft dough. Then we rolled them out, cut them and laid them in the dehydrator. I don't remember how long it took. We had some bits left over so we added a little water rolled it up and made cinnamon beads.

I took a picture with my really awful camera - apologies.
See it here: http://web.mac.com/phase2design/ornaments.jpg

The lines you see in the large star are from the dehydrator.

I originally strung them with slices of dried orange, so that the shape was centered in the orange slice, then I knotted it, strung a bead, knot, loop for hanging, knot. The cinnamon ornaments outlasted the orange slices by about 2 years. Apparently I don't have the knack for drying oranges, they were either too thick which made them gummy and they went bad, or too dry and were brittle and broke.

Babs

Country Egg
www.countryegg.com

Edited by - babs on Sep 30 2006 11:46:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  6:37:10 PM  Show Profile
I make mine with glue. Here is a tip though. Check with a local school cafeteria. I was able to order a 1 gallon jug of cinnamon at a HUGE discount. I have enough cinnamon to make 1 MILLION ornaments! HA

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  12:59:22 PM  Show Profile
i packed mine away last yr. hopefully they won't be too brittle when i get into them as i used them on the tree last yr. but going to make some more anyways, for this yr. the cinnamon bread one is sooo cool! i'll have to try that too. jo~,

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  1:12:08 PM  Show Profile
Boy I was just reading the recipe, maybe a gallon of cinnamon might not be enough!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cinnamon christmas tree decorations Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page