Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  3:39:32 PM  Show Profile
When I was a girl in 4-H we made needle cases out of felt and flannel. I have always loved them. I have one my mom made when she was a girl in the shape of a girl with a bonnet. It is embellished with lace and embroidery. I just made one in the shape of an acorn, as I am making some for a christmas bazaar next month. I was just wondering if any of you have made them and what shapes are your favorites.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  11:01:23 AM  Show Profile
I prefer a hard needle case for some reason. I have an oak one that is magnetic on the inside. The lid has inlaid flower designs on it and I just love it. I use it and an old silver one that is smaller and feels just right in my hand.

I love needlecases, and have a pattern to make a soft one with ribbon embroidery on the cover. It is shaped much like a checkbook cover only smaller. You use a raw silk material for the fabric. Another project!

Your idea to make them for a christmas bazaar is a really good one. You could also make little thimble cases to match.

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 12 2005 11:02:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  4:22:43 PM  Show Profile
I have one my MIL made that is just a bonnet. It is felt and has embroidered flowers around where the ribbon would be and has ribbon ties. It is cute! Another of my keepsakes along the same line is a pin cushion in the shape of a high button boot that is also embroidered and was made by my husbands grammy.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  7:32:47 PM  Show Profile
I really like the thimble case idea, jpbluesky. I think I will try to connect the two together.
Eileen, my husbands g'ma had a high button boot pincusion as well. I was to get it at her passing ,but didn't.:( I love old sewing "tools". Having them, knowing they were used by an industrious lady, makes my heart happy.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Needle Cases Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page