Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 what wool is "warmest"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what wool is "warmest" Next Topic
Page: of 2

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  8:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
from what i have read there is a difference in the types of wool out there with some being warmer than others. what kind is warmest? i am talking really warm here lol. hubby has decided that i WILL make him that sweater this year! peace connie in alaska

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  8:41:44 PM  Show Profile
I found this question asked on a knitting forum:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66638

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  8:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thanks bonne. will check it out. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  08:20:25 AM  Show Profile
I was under the impression that it was the Musk Ox yarn that is the warmest, but I guess there are many possibilities. I just checked out the site you posted, Bonne. OOh I wish I could still knit, I loved to knit, I still have a little stash of yarn for patting, gave away all my knitting books except Elizabeth Zimmerman's, but I still have some bamboo needles somewhere. At least I can crochet, and sew, but there is something so soothing about knitting, and the results are such fun. I will just have to keep peeking at everyone else's projects to get my knitting fix.....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  08:44:07 AM  Show Profile
Connie, from what I have found, Icelandic wool is supposed to be the warmest! Here is a website I found www.schoolhousepress.com! They have a lot of different colors. Also check with Grace because I think she carries it also!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  09:14:34 AM  Show Profile
Connie, find someone with Great Pyrenees dogs and spin their fur...dog is 10x warmer than wool! Have fun!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  09:56:35 AM  Show Profile
The thing about Icelandic wool is the texture(roughness). Living in MN, my mother worked for a Scandinavian Import shop and we wore the coats, hats, scarves etc. out of the stuff. It was great for outerwear, but the 2 sweaters I still have, I rarely wear. They are warm, to be sure, but I just don't love the feel of them all that much. They sure have stood the test of time though.

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  2:48:23 PM  Show Profile
I have a hat and mittens made out of fur from my beloved Pyr, Nadja. OH, it's lovely warm. and beautiful!

I made a hat out of a blend of silk, buffalo, mohair and wool. WOW, warm!!!!!!!!!!!! and super-soft.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  3:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i knew why there was a reason that i want a pyranese! or a newf! is their fur as warm and soft as a pyr? got to looking at a site for yarn where they have an alpaca/merino wool/silk blend that looks like it is to die for. i just might have to try it! the shipping on 14 skeins is only $7 to alaska , of course its free to the lower 48 lol. thanks for all the help ladies!
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  3:44:02 PM  Show Profile
One nice thing about Icelandic wool though, (I have icelandic sheep..just a couple) is that if you can get the raw wool to spin, it is a double coat..the two parts are called tog and thel, Tog is the outer coat with all the guard hair and roughness (and alot of strength..good for needlepoint yarn and for outer garments), and thel is the undercoat...very very very soft and downy...I even use that for knitting baby things and socks..just wonderful stuff. Commercial Icelandic yarn is usually carded together..both parts of the fleece into one yarn which would explain the roughness. Just a little info..you may have already known it..but there you are.
Angora is very warm too!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  4:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thanks jenny. i will look to see if it is possible to get the icelandic with just the thel. do you have any on etsy? enough for a sweater? peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  5:30:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Connie and Everyone - Computer fixed and I am trying to catch up with the questions, emails and orders. Let's see what we can figure out on this one.

Icelandic Tell can be as soft as any alpaca, angora bunny and even some cashmere. If you have a good genetic Icelandic lamb fleece you have great fiber - what is interesting also about the Icelandic is when spun together with alittle of it natural lanolin in it - the snow, rain and cold can not get thru. I have Icelandic Sweaters that I wear in the dead of winter instead of a coat. I also have mittens that are almost waterproof. I have a blend in my shop that has done very well for the past seven years - I take from my best Icelandic lambs pulled the Tell and blended with hand plucked French Angora Bunnies from my friend and create a roving that I call "Purity". It is snow white so that you can leave it natural or dye it - it is incredibly warm and wonderfully soft.

If you are looking at other fibers it kind of goes like this - Musk Ox, Great Prys or any good two coated dog, Cashgora, Cashmere, Bunny, Alpaca, Sheep (only those who have sound fleece any breaks and the fleece is weak which lets in problems) Llama, Angora will also depend on how it is spun - you can not allow it to draft with air - if you spin sound Angora correctly then it is equal to Alpaca. The warmth of a fiber not matter what breed also will depend on how it is spun, the health of the fiber and how you work up the yarn.

The trouble with wool is it is so different from sheep to sheep, even within the breed. Also when the fiber is harvested, if the animal has any breaks in the shaft, how it is processed and how it is spun. It is like saying all blondes are natural blondes - you have to take it on a person to person identification.

Hope that helps but if you have more questions I will try to help. Side note - voice is still not back so Connie I will still have to wait on phone call - it is at a whisper today but I do not wish to strain it.

Great to be back.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  6:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
glad you are back grace! is the tea helping at all? please dont strain yoru voice! the phone calls can wait till its 100%!
you sure know your fibers! i will have hubby look at what you have online and see if he is agreeable to it. he has it in his head that the warmest will be from dale of norway. i have a sweater of that line that i wear when its is 20 and 30 degrees below zero without a jacket! have to add jacket if i am outside for a logn timme or its windy. i cant make him understand that there are alot of warm fibers out there and how it is knitted seems to make a world of difference. thanks much for the info. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  11:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Grace has wonderful fibers and yarn both!! I have knitted socks from her alpaca yarns and LOVED them....and spun some wool from her too...just wonderful stuff.
I don't sell fiber at all. I just have the two ewes now and I am lucky to get mine washed and spun myself. I am behind by a couple fleeces right now..and it is time to shear again...ugh. I could send you some raw wool...but I am a slacker and owe some to others already...so it won't be a quick send..I would be happy to send you some to try spinning though..and you could see the double coat thing. But...I totally recomend Grace's website...stuff to die for!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  05:17:10 AM  Show Profile
Jenny you are too kind

I too am way behind - I do have some pencial roving of the Icelandic in White or Gray. Now that the floppy disk drive has been replaced I can start putting things on the site but I think I am also going to start putting things also on my blog because that way I can save my customers some money without having to add the fees in. I wish to help out my farmgirl sisterhood during this time of financial worries - just got hay price last night and almost fainted - up three fold from last year.

Jenny I had no idea you had Icelandics - Way too cool.. Enjoy and don't worry fleeces love being worked on in the dead of winter. Again, I thank you for the wonderful recommendation.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  06:52:17 AM  Show Profile
Is there a big difference in the warmth of the Shetland's wool and the islandic breed. Some of my Shetlands are double coated too.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  07:46:00 AM  Show Profile
The shetland sheep are a great primative breed - I have many friends who raise them, the breed is a very strudy, smart and independant breed. I have found that their warmth is good but unless the genetics are correct they can be on the coarse side. I know that is always up for discussion but overall they are considered a "Carpet" breed. Before anyone gets their feelings hurt "Angora" goats are considered "Carpet" too. What that means is the industry will look at it as that first and then they sort for finer fleeces. As I said before young fleece, very good genetics and management of the animal all plays into the outcome of the fiber. I have a couple of British Shetland Fleeces that are to die for - infact I just finished dyeing them and I just love them. However that breed is not raised here in the states and it sure is a shame because I think it would improve the image of the shetland. Hope that helps and please remember that when classifications of breeds are determined it is in no way of saying one breed is better then another - each of them have their values and I love looking into each and every one of their faces and giving them a big kiss. Sheep are wonderful and I feel have received a bad rap because of the way we let manufacture companies treat their fleeces. Hope that helps.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  07:54:22 AM  Show Profile
Fishermen used to wear sweaters knit "in the grease", meaning the wool wasn't washed in the hot water method we mostly practice. This was for wind/water resistance and it was very effective for their conditions. Bet they stunk a little when they did get "misted" out at sea. Those sweaters were extremely heavy to wear (in the grease (raw)is about double the weight of washed fiber for the same amount of wool)but were very warm.

Grace, glad to see you back...gosh, you've been down a while, girl!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  07:57:35 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I understand. I have some great fine wooled shetlands and I have some that have more of the outer coat. I use it all. All my sheep have different personalitites. No lie, I can be in the yard and hear one bleat out in the pasture and know which ewe or baby. I can also tell when they are nervous...maybe a dog or coyote in the area...out I go with that mean 22 pistol. The sheep actually watch and stand around me when I am shooting.

When I send off wool to be processed, most of the time the two coats are put together. I always do a few fleeces by pulling out the courser top coat and the finer wool. When I do this, I make some of the softest items...baby booties, lacey scarves.

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  08:08:28 AM  Show Profile
Sarita....you are demonstrating that you have some patience in doing that, my dear! I don't have double-coated breeds but just skirting is a tedious job that I really don't enjoy after the first few...it's relaxing for a while and then a daunting task. It's really cool that you can get 2 totally different effects from one fleece though.

I can tell my dog barks apart but not my sheep bleats...you go girl!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  08:32:46 AM  Show Profile
I love doing a blend of llama with shetland - I think that combo is something special and so have my customers. I also like the black welsh breed. Sheep are like candy - you just have to try them all and you never get tired of trying....

I am with you, I can tell exactly who in the pasture is talking and my animals are better the a dog pointing when they wish to get my attention. Infact the llama girls will track the smallest of intruders but what is great about them is if I whistle they will attack. Got to love those llamas.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile
I wish I knew of some nice people that would like to have some fiber animals/pets...I have some shetlands that I would part with at a good price to a good home. 50 head is too many for me now. I went to shows and got show sheep for my breeding stock. I can't imagine any of them being killed for meat...like my dogs or cats to me. Anyone interested?
Back to fiber warmth. I really like to add llama and alpaca to my wool for hunting socks and scarves and hats to wear when choring. They say llama and alpaca is 7 times warmer than wool.

Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  09:29:21 AM  Show Profile
You might also want to try knitting at a gauge lower than recommended to create a tighter fabric.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  10:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jami - glad to be back - between this weird illness, computer issues and then just trying to play catch up - you know how it goes.

When I process some of my wools I try to leave in some of the lanolin just for that same reason - aids in keeping the wet out.

Your right Knittingmom going down a guage will aid in getting a tighter fabric just be careful that the stitches will lay correctly and not bunch up - not a good look. Also consider that if there is any lanolin left in the fiber over time it starts to felt and if the stitches are too tight you will not like the results.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  07:52:32 AM  Show Profile
Grace, patience really has nothing to do with it...greedy, want that soft wool for the cozy scarves and use the outer guard hairs with breech for rugs. Can't hardly stand to loose any piece of wool.
Grace, do you do wool processing for other people? I send off 4 or 5 fleeces every year to be made into roving or yarn. I wash the wool before I send it and no processor has told me that they needed to rewash it yet. I just can't do it all and keep up with my daughter and I both weaving and knitting. I have a drum carder but really like the way comes back after going through the bigger carders.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  08:46:48 AM  Show Profile
I do processing for folks but not like I did in the past. With it just being me now I have to do the work of three people in the same 24 hours. What I like to do is show breeders how to get the most from every ounce of their fiber - sometimes that means not wasting time with fleeces that will cost them more in the long run then they could every hope to get for them. I also teach proper management to keep the skirting, cleaning, processing time down to a minimum. Then we start working with the fleeces, dyeing, blending, spinning, felting and so on to get the top dollar from those animals. Hay and time is way too expensive to waste - we all are having to work smart because we are having to get every penny out of every ounce.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what wool is "warmest" Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page