Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 what wool is "warmest"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what wool is "warmest" Next Topic
Page: of 2

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  7:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Amen, Grace...I am having to change my farming methods to try not to LOSE AS MUCH AS I DID LASt Year...I have never broke even with the sheep, but I get my fiber from them and I don't go to plays or movies and etc. Spinning, weaving, knitting is my recreation not to mention the love for the sheep. I do need to build new mangers that will prevent the sheep from getting hay in their wool. I love to put my hands on all types of fleeces. I toyed with opening my own wool processing business but I would have even less time than I do now to spin, weave, and knit.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Lulu
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Aunt Lulu
Michigan
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  07:11:57 AM  Show Profile
Musk Ox is the warmest, but I am not sure how to get some. I am sure it's very expensive!

TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED......IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  09:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
This is probably a really silly question but can you spin cat's fur? I have a ragdoll cat that has the softest undercoat. It's like down and so soft. It's not a hair but more of a fur. When I comb her I get lots and have said to my hubby that I wonder if I could spin it and knit with it? What do you all think?

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  09:24:00 AM  Show Profile
Tapestry, I am sure you can! There was a lady at the spinning guild meeting that was spinning dog hair and it was so soft! Some of the other ladies could tell you more!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  10:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
aunt lulu, musk ox is qiviet (sp) and is VERY pricey! i can get it here in fairbanks alaska but i think its about $50-$60 an ounce!! it is usually spun lace weight. i will try to remember to check the actual price next time i go to one of the yarn stores. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  11:03:26 AM  Show Profile
There is a website called www.qiviut.com and they have a kit with 2 oz. of fiber and some patterns for a hat for 80.00 so just imagine how much a sweater would cost! I looked and a tunic is 595.00! Ouch!

monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  11:45:08 AM  Show Profile
Ragdoll Cats are wonderful and YES, you can spin their fur. The issue with cat is you must blend it with something - their fur will not lock onto itself very well. I would suggest a merino and cashmere. Also, be very carefull because even if you do not have an issue with the dander if you go wearing it out in public you may get some folks with red eyes. When I spun for a lady her cat fur (I have had cats over the years) my eyes went red even after I washed it before I spun. Good luck and hug the kitty for me.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  12:28:17 PM  Show Profile
ha! You can be like Catwoman and go around making people sneeze!
I was brushing a clients golden retriever this morning and I debated whether or not to save the fiber. I may just start doing that from now on~oh, what an assortment I'll have!

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  11:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Giggles.....c'mere Isis....come see mommy...no the loud sound you hear isn't shears....evil laugh. Just kiddin'....grinz >^..^<

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what wool is "warmest" Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page