Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Lye-Sodium Hydroxide // Home Made Soap
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Lye-Sodium Hydroxide // Home Made Soap Next Topic  

0missy0
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  08:13:50 AM  Show Profile
Okay well does anyone have any safety tips when it comes to using Lye? We are in the process of starting a business with homemade soaps as a product that will also be sold among other things. We have never used Lye before so we could use all the advice we can get. We do understand that Lye is a dangerous substance and should be used with extreme caution.
Also, one more question.. How do you prepare the Lye when making homemade soap?? I hope you can understand what I am asking. I'm not sure how to word it.

We are aware of using search engines like 'google' & 'yahoo'.. but we would appreciate it from people that have made it and I trust ya'lls advice.

poverty girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kristin
Fremont Ut
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  08:22:15 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, I'm also interested in making homemade soaps for my store I just opened this spring. I've searched the internet and found some good websites, but it all seems to be to much!! I'm not exactly sure where to begin!! I would be extremely greatful if you would pass on any good tips you receive and I'll do likewise :0)
Go to Top of Page

0missy0
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  08:27:57 AM  Show Profile
Kristin

I know what you mean. I have spent hours searching the internet and there is just so much information it just becomes too much. Some people say to do it a certain way and others say different. It is just so confusing to know the RIGHT way to do it. I will be sure to pass on some good tips to you! What process do you use to make the soaps? Like the cold process ect.?
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  08:34:53 AM  Show Profile
It is so exciting to see so many of us farmgirls that are interested in making soap! I too am wanting to start and after reading a ton of books I decided that i will try to start with making a hot process one.

My question to those of you that either already make and sell or those that are wanting to is this...Have you checked into the liability issues of selling a homemeade soap? If so what have you found out?

I really don't know where to start with looking into insurance and liability issues. I know that I am going to spend several months just making and giving away soaps so I can get the feedback from family and friends. Plus, that keeps me in the "gifting" catagory. Of course I have had one friend tell me she will "donate" money for hers.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  10:34:26 AM  Show Profile
Hey, FarmGirls!
There are lots of gals here who make soap. But for your question about how to deal with the lye, what I say when I teach someone to make soap is simply, Respect The Lye. Some people wear rubber gloves, but I have never liked rubber gloves, so I don't wear them. I usually wear old jeans and a tee shirt. Some always wear a long sleeved shirt. Always wear shoes. And eye protection - goggles if you don't wear glasses. If you drop a bit of lye on your foot, it will burn and you will know it. Not screaming out loud, but it does hurt. I keep a bottle of apple cider vinegar to hand when I am making soap, as the vinegar will neutralize the lye if you accidentally splash some on yourself. It works well.
So when I go to make soap, first thing I do is weigh out my lye and then measure my water and slowly add the lye to the water, carefully stirring. Once all the lye is mixed with the water, I put the container in a safe place (usually my laundry sink) to let it cool down as I go about preparing my other ingredients. I weigh the oils, measure the scents and any additives I will use in that batch, any colorants.
Since the lye mixture gets very hot from the chemical reaction of the sodium hydroxide mixing with the water, it needs to cool down to somewhere around 100F. Everyone has their own range of temperatures they are comfortable mixing soap at. Mine is around 100F. So that's it on the lye, add the sodium hydroxide to the water, slowly, and remember to Respect The Lye. And keep the apple cider vinegar handy.
As far as insurance, Christina, there is a company that many of the soapmakers use and of course I can't think of it off the top of my head. If you go to www.soapguild.org they offer insurance, but you have to be a member. I never joined the guild as I never went into business in a big way...mostly taking "donations" from my friends.
Oh, also, as far as labeling, if you are going to have an actual licensed, insured business, the FDA has specific requirements on how to label your soap.
I would say if you have never made soap before, it is good to take a class, if one is offered in your neighborhood. Then there are some excellent books, I like Susan Cavitch Miller, The Soapmaker's Companion. Anyhow, good luck with your new venture.
I am enchanted with the whole process of turning a harsh chemical, greasy oils and water into a beautiful bar of soap. Have Fun! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

poverty girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kristin
Fremont Ut
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  10:39:30 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, I've only looked into making cold process soaps. All the recipes I've seen for naturally looking soap use this method. I did order some recipes from www.oldehomesteadbarn.com, but have yet to try them. Wasn't sure where to purchase lye from, and I'm alittle nervous about the whole thing!!
Go to Top of Page

poverty girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kristin
Fremont Ut
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  10:48:43 AM  Show Profile
Judith,
Thanks so much for the great adivce!! Do you come up with your own recipes or do you purchase them from some great website? I would like to be able to order all the products from one place, just so I don't feel so overwhelmed :0) Do you use a digital scale or just a cheap one from say Wal-Mart? And, do you use a mixture of vegetable oils or just one oil? Listen to me, I sound like my little 1st grader with 20 questions lol!!! Thanks again for any info you can provide!!

Kristin
Farmgirl Sister #334
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  11:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Also check out your local library. I'm kind of a fan of the "blender" soapmaking method. Smaller batches though.

One of my favourites for Christmas is tangerine and cinnamon.

Good luck. There's nothing like homemade soap (or anything for that matter).

Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  11:30:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks you for all of that great information Judith. I am going to definitly check out the soap guild just because I am sure it has a wealth of information. Once I get good at it I will most likely just sell to friends and family for donations. I like to think of myself as a Jane of All Trades and soapmaking will be a great fun addition to all those other projects. Plus, I think it will make outstanding gifts. Maybe someday when I settle down my inner spirit more I will decide to run a business based on just one, two or three things but for now I just enjoy learning new things that will benefit the health and spiritual well-being of my family's body and soul.

Hugs~

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  11:59:04 AM  Show Profile
I would recommend checking into http://www.millersoap.com/ . It is a wealth of wonderful information, along with basic starter recipes and troubleshooting, etc. Judith's advice is very good as well. I would strongly recommend taking a class, as she suggested, or putting some serious time into researching and developing your product.

I would compare it to baking brownies; you wouldn't necessarily go out and sell the first batch of brownies you ever made. You would want to make hundreds of batches of brownies to be sure that what you could do it backwards and blindfolded, perfect every time and were offering for sale a premium product; no flour lumps, burned edges, doughy centers, etc. Considering the product you are offering actually has the potential to be harmful if it is not correctly and consistantly made (unlike baked goods!), you would want to be positive before people wash their face and delicate skin with it that it is safe and beneficial. That being said, you can have a really fun time making it and will receive great joy as people use and like your product.

I use the Guild for my insurance, and it is quite spendy, but worth it. People would sue a fly these days if they could!

Happy soaping, but watch out; it's addictive!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

0missy0
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  12:57:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great advice!!
It is very helpful. I guess you can say I am nervous about using Lye . I am very excited about all of this. I can't wait to get started. I am sure you all will be hearing from me numerous times for advice and such. You all are so very helpful!
I know I will spend many months making and giving away my soaps to family and friends before I actually sell this as part of my business. Hmm, So the whole insurance thing is quite confusing to me. I can't seem to find good insurance at a reasonable price. Any suggestions? I want a good converage but not something that will cost me an arm and a leg
Well pretty much I could use all the advice I can get.
Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  2:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, I have heard of a few soapers who use RLI insurance. From what I have heard, it seems to be cheaper then several other options, but I don't know much more about it. Here's the link... http://www.insuremyhomebiz.com/index.asp . HTH!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  2:56:57 PM  Show Profile
Kristin - I ordered some recipes from Old Homestead Barn about 6 months ago. I was looking for some primitive soap recipes. I will be honest and tell you that I was kind of shocked at how she recommended making the soap. Her recipes seem ok - except I don't like to use lard - but she said to mix the soap in a coffee can! That is a big no no when you are using lye. You should use only stainless steel or glass. I do mix my lye water in a hard plastic pitcher.

I was scared to death of the lye and let it keep me from making soap for 10 years. One day I decided to just go for it. I still laugh when I think that I broke out in a cold sweat before pouring the lye in the water. If you respect it you will be ok. I do wear rubber gloves, a long sleeved shirt and make sure you have shoes on. I know that sounds funny but most of the time I'm barefoot around my house. So when I make soap I put on shoes just in case something would splash. If you don't wear glasses then I would recommend safety goggles. Everything Judith said is right on! Just always remember to pour the lye into the water slowly and stir slowly. Never pour water into the lye - you will have a volcano. I set my pitcher of water on my stove, turn on the vent fan, and then pour the lye in. That helps to exhause the fumes. Once the lye water is clear the fumes are gone. Then just put it in a safe place to cool down. I usually soap at between 90 and 100 degrees.

RLI is a good place to get insurance but once you start making over a certain amount of money from your business they won't insure you. For starting out it would be just fine.

Just study recipes on the internet, learn about what the different oils and fats do, then go for it. About.com has a great soapmaking section and has lots of recipes. I learned a lot there. You can get a basic recipe on the web then you can tweak it.

I worked on my recipe for two years before I felt comfortable to sell it. My friends and family were my guinea pigs - they loved getting free soap.

Always weigh every ingredient - oils, fats, lye, and water. Run every recipe through a lye calculator - there are several good ones on the web. Majestic Mountain Sage is a good one to start with. Once you make your first batch of soap you'll be hooked forever.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  3:30:17 PM  Show Profile
One thing I forgot to include - wear an apron! I have ruined several shirts because of tiny soap splashes from my hand mixer.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  4:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh, yes, like Kay says, wear an apron! I have an oilcloth apron I wear when I am soaping. It really helps keep me clean, but I wear old "junk" clothes when I soap anyhow.
Kristin, I do make up my own recipes. If you look at the SMC book, The Soapmaker's Companion, she explains in detail the qualities of the different oils. Then you can decide what you want, and what you can get your hands on, and make up your own recipe. I think most soapers use a variety of oils to give specific qualities to their soaps. I use vegetable oils, but have used some lard and some sheep fat (a friend had a sheep ranch and would save the fat when they butchered). I haven't used tallow, I don't think. For a good while, I just used the recipe that my teacher gave me. Then I got brave and wandered out into the world of "luxury oils" and that is a whole 'nother experience.
When I learned to make soap, we didn't have internet at home, and we hunted down our oils in the ethnic food markets. Our recipe included olive oil (easy enough!), coconut oil and palm oil - those were a challenge, but I found them. Now many of the health food stores carry coconut oil, but it is quite expensive, as it is usually organic and meant for cooking.
The only time I think anyone uses just one oil is when they want to make a "castile" soap which by definition only contains olive oil. I got some castile soap in a swap once, and I just didn't like it. It doesn't lather very well and feels slimy. I still don't like it and would never bother making any castile soap. There are those who like it, and that's a good thing. Also, you could make soap with just coconut oil, but it would be very brittle and drying to the skin. You really want a mix.
I do use Majestic Mountain Sage for 90% of my supplies. And I use their lye calculator. I also have a digital scale. You really need to invest in a good quality scale that will weigh to two decimal places on an ounce. Like your lye might need to be 3.45 ounces, so you wouldn't do so good if you could only measure 3 ounces...
As for supplies, if you're anywhere near Majestic Mountain Sage, I believe they offer classes, as well as you can pick up your supplies and save on shipping.
For lye, if you have a local chemical supply that will sell it to you, that's usually the cheapest way to get sodium hydroxide. And they usually sell in quantities, with 25 or 50 pounds the minimum. Then you have to safely store it at home, which can be daunting if you have children around. I get it from www.thechemistrystore.com (or maybe without the "the") and even with shipping and the hazmat fee, it is cheaper than trying to track down Red Devil lye (which is what most people start out using). But you may have noticed Red Devil lye has gotten hard to find, as it is used in the manufacture of meth, so a lot of the stores have switched to other drain cleaning products which are not pure sodium hydroxide (which is what you want for soap).
And yes, RLI insurance is what I was thinking of. I never had it, but that's the name of it.
Okay, back to your studying on soapmaking! J
And Molly is right, too - millerssoap is an excellent site with lots of info.

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  5:02:59 PM  Show Profile
Melissa,
Amen to what everyone said. We have made soaps for our family, friends & to sell for 18 years now. Millers site is my favorite. We purchase most of our supplies from Liberty Naturals in Oregon.
It's a fun journey. I loved the brownies anlogy!
Doesn't every farmgirl wear an apron, no matter what she's doing?

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

0missy0
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  6:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Okay I think I have decided to use Glycerin instead of Lye. I am so nervous about using Lye right now and since I am accident prone this is the safest way for me. Right now anyways, later I might get the courage to try Lye.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep Goat's milk soap white instead of a caramel color???

Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  7:04:16 PM  Show Profile
Join a soap forum is my advice. http://www.soapdishforum.com/forum/index.php?act=idx
and http://www.craftserver.com/forums/index.php are my 2 favorites. All your questions have been asked and answered, so just do a search and read read read. These forums are a goldmine of information. ;) Good luck!

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

poverty girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kristin
Fremont Ut
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  08:14:24 AM  Show Profile
Kay & Judith,
You girls are the best! Stephanie, the owner of Majestic Mountain Sage, is actually my husbands cousin! I'm so glad that you've used their products, it always helps to know what companies are the best! Thanks so much for taking the time to explain, I'm going to give it a try next week :0) Wish me luck, and I'll let you know if I burn the house down or not!!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Lye-Sodium Hydroxide // Home Made Soap Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page