Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Fever. Sore Throat. Congestion. Earache.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Fever. Sore Throat. Congestion. Earache. Next Topic  

0missy0
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  08:23:37 AM  Show Profile
Right now I am miserable!!
I haven't been able to sleep well at night, due to not being able to breath. I have to prop my pillows up and try to sleep that way. (Not fun!).
I can't seem to keep the fever away. I get the fever really bad and then it breaks... then it starts all over again.
At the moment I am not wanting to use Nasal Spray.. I HATE THAT STUFF!. It is helps to clear me out but then my nose gets so dry it hurts and it all runs down the back of my throat which is just gross.
I will try to go to town today (not sure if I can make it though, it is 40 miles one way.) and I will try to get a Neti Pot. Also, some of the dreadful nasal spray...ugh.. I don't want to go to the doctor, so I am attempting to heal on my own.
Anyone know of any herbs or home remedies??
I'd really appreciate the help.. I feel horrible!

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  08:31:51 AM  Show Profile
Honey if you have a fever, and ibuprofin is not breaking it, you need to see a Dr. Fever's are indicitive of infection..... Chicken noodle soup, steam to loosen the phlegm... the neti's are great, but you sound like your feeling pretty punky....echinacea & goldenseal tea will help. Maybe some chamonile to help you sleep (its a very mild sedative AND anti-inflammatory). Keep hydrated no matter what! Hope you feel better soon! Hugs.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  08:32:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh, hot water bottle on the ear....do you have sweet oil? Its corn oil. A couple drops in teh ear then the hot water bottle...maybe that'll help.... I feel bad for you!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  10:22:03 AM  Show Profile
I am a teacher and I think every teacher at my school has this exact thing right now. 5 or 6 teachers have been to the doc and NONE were prescribed any meds. The docs are saying it takes about 8 days to run it's course and the best plan of action is to take Ibuprofin, drink lots of liquids and rest when possible. I've been drinking tea and have bumped up my viatamin c intake through OJ and I am taking several drops of a lemon balm tincture twice a day. I only have a slightly sore throat and a mild ear ache so far and my husband was hit with it pretty hard earlier in the week.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  11:49:23 AM  Show Profile
One of my daughters was recently tested for strep throat. The drs. never called her with the results for three days. By the time they did call to say it was negative she had broken our in a rash. The dr. said it was viral and there was nothing they could do. Two days and three vials of blood later it turns out she has mono. NOW she's on meds. They said it was just viral for my grandson until one night he went into a mild convulsion from 105 degree fever where a trip to the ER confirmed he had pneumonia. I agree with Dawn and not so much with the drs. anymore. Fever always has and always will mean that there is an infection present somewhere. Please take care of yourself. A returning fever is not good. Susan
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  12:02:15 PM  Show Profile
I feel for you, our family is going through a flu session too.

Try steaming yourself (boiling water in a bowl, towl over head) add a drop or two of tea tree oil, that'll help with any infection in your sinus and it'll get things moving.

Try having a humidifier on near your bed at night, that helps moisten the air and helps you breathe.

Ginger/lemon tea is helpful as well (cut up ginger root, add to a litre of water and boil in an open pot for 20 minutes, add 1/4 cup lemon juice and honey to taste.

Personally, I usually give myself 5-7 days to improve, if the fever is still there and you don't feel much better go see your physician to rule out any bacterial infection. They have the instruments to listen to your lungs and whatnot. To doctors' credit now they're not so quick to prescribe antibiotics like they were years ago.
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  12:05:24 PM  Show Profile
I feel your pain Heather. I came down with the exact same thing a week ago yesterday. Today is the first day I've felt half human! We keep Zycam around the house and use it at the first twinge of a cold,which usually helps..but it sure didn't help me this time.

If you can't stand nasal spray, at least use some vicks to help keep your sinuses opened up. Drink lots of liquids, get plenty of rest, and if you get to feeling worse then go see the doctor.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  1:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I had something very similar earlier this summer. My throat was in severe pain. I got some Echinnacea, Golden Seal, and Elderberry juice in some drops. I took a dropper full 3x daily and just squirted it right into the back of my throat. I was better in 3 days!

Your earache might be because congestion is pushing on your ear canal. The neti pot will help so much to get things moving. If you can't find a traditional neti pot, get a baby bottle and a nipple. Fill them with the saline solution and stick into one nostril. Seriously it works. That is what I did when I was so desperate last winter.

I like to take lots of hot baths when I am feverish. The fever is trying to burn off some sort of bacteria, virus, infection etc. The hot water always seems to make me feel better.

Oh and one last thing I do to feel better is gargle with salt water!

So salt water for neti pot, gargling salt water 3x daily, Ecchinacia, Golden Seal and Elderberry, and hot baths.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Fever. Sore Throat. Congestion. Earache. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page