Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 No Logos on the Outside
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic No Logos on the Outside Next Topic  

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  8:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
This article was in our Washington Post comic section.

The cartoon Beakman and Jax, where kids write in to them to solve scientific questions.

Dear Beakman, What is a good makeover for a teenager?
Candice Burnett, Alpharett, Georgia

Dear Candice, I think it would be best to pass on to you the teachings of a personal style expert, Quentin Crist - a writer and unusual person - who always said style is "being yourself, but on purpose. Fashion is advertising. Style is you, intentionally." Just so you know, this is not as easy as you might think. You need to be brave. You need to be smart. And you need to create your own path and not join the lines of sheep you see all around you - sheep who are fashion-victims, which is the opposite of style, OK?

It's About You.
What you need: Mr Crisp tells us to take a trip into ourselves and fit together the parts you like about yourself with the things your friends say are the problem with you. Accept even those problem things about who you are. Get it all massaged together, and when it feels good, go shopping.
Agree with your family on a back-to-school budget and use 1/4 that amount.
Go to the thrift store and start pulling out the clothes you like. With your notepad write down the name of the item and one or two words about why you like it. When you get your pile done, put back any item that has a logo on the outside.
Logos are not about your style. They about fashion, whick is when you are sold something - told what to wear. Style is you making the decisions for yourself.
Logos advertise for the maker of the item. You should not wear a logo that shows unless that clothing maker pays you an advertising fee.
Here comes the Brave part: Wear the whole outfit to school, and when your friends say "Ewww! Where are you Chanel logos?" tell them your reasons why you like each piece. Whip out your notes. Finish by saying that it's an exercise in becoming yourself, and you might want to mention that Coco Chanel never, ever, designed a t-shirt.

"Never work to blend in." Mr Quentin Crisp 1908-1999

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  8:33:56 PM  Show Profile
I remember when one of my daughters changed schools in High School. She said she didn't like what the kids were wearing--what should she do. I told her to be herself and wear what she liked and maybe SHE would be the trend setter. She did just that and did start some new fads. She is still her own person as all my daughters are. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic No Logos on the Outside Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page