Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Substituting.. Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  10:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
What to expect? Advice? How to avoid getting sick?

I bought Vitamin C today, a new water bottle, a nice tote for my college homework and I just need to buy another pair of comfy flats. What can I expect? How is it? I am SOOOOOOO nervous.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  10:59:46 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I did it right after I graduated college & it was an experience, that's for sure. I had some good times, & some bad, but the best one was when they called me from the local vocational school & asked me to sub senior dental hygenists. I though, OK, this will be OK, my sis took that so I already know a little. UH, but when I got there, I had to sub SR Boys diesel mechanics. Talk about not knowing what to do, & this was back when I was 22, still kinda cute & into makeup & hair & stuff, flute, ballet & the symphony, not diesel mechanics. WHAT a day. Luckily a nice boy sort of took over for me, or God knows the building may have burned down or something.
Maybe you could also buy seom Emergen-C..(a fizzy vita-C drink) & wash hands a lot. What age are you subbing?? You will get to the point where you either dread or look forward to that phone ringing at 4:30 AM.. You'll know what the call is.
Also talk to Aunt Jenny; she subs & seems to love it. I did this so long ago, it is hard to remember(but I will NEVER forget Sr Diesel Mechanics)
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  11:08:24 AM  Show Profile
I subbed, then I taught, then I was a mom, now I'm back in a kindergarten classroom as my sister's assistant, and I love it. I think the best thing you can do as a sub is to follow the teacher's lesson plans as closely as you can, and get as much of the work done as possible so the teacher isn't too far behind on their return. I always tried to leave the teacher a note as to how the day went and what we did and didn't accomplish.
Good luck -- it will be fun, I'm sure!

Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  12:07:41 PM  Show Profile
I am a teacher and I love it. I subbed before getting my first job and wasn't too fond of it. My best advice is to ALWAYS have a back up plan! Some teachers may NOT leave lesson plans. Some activities may not take as long as expected. Have something you can do if you end up with "extra" time. Never listen when a kid says "our teacher says it's okay if we...". They are lying! ;). Don't be afraid to ask other teachers if you aren't sure. Also bring a book. Many teacher will leave movies if they are absent. This can get VERY boring.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  12:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Heather - how exciting! (I'm a teacher and heading back into the classroom on Tuesday myself.)

My "advice," in addition to the great things others have already said, would be to have a "thing" that you do. What I mean is that I once watched one of our building subs start the class by going over the day's menu...sounds silly, but it was her little routine at the start of class, got the kids attention and focused them, then they were ready to work. It went something like "Morning folks! Today's menu is (and she would read whatever was posted for the day)...The most important thing is to make sure you EAT and feed your brain! Don't forget your pets need food too so always leave out fresh water...etc. Alright? Today we're going to ..."

I'd also advise not letting them sidetrack you...kids will try and avoid work at all cost and love to derail the teacher (I speak from experience as someone who's own students try this at certain times during the year)

Most importantly, don't be afraid to be yourself and let the kids see how much you enjoy what you're doing. I know that I'm a complete spazz when I teach (using words like "groovy" and "dancing" around the classroom so no one can think they're going to just sit there or else chatter on with a neighbor), and it keeps them genuinely entertained and on task.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  2:06:06 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE subbing...especially 3rd grade and under!! I cringe when asked to do 5th grade! ( I chose to ONLY sub at the elementary school..I could do middle and High school too, but I have 4 those ages at home already..no thanks!)
I agree with having a backup plan..extra fun stuff to do and I always bring a water bottle, granola bar and a book for sure. Seems like the days I forget are the days the class has PE, library, computer lab and all in one stretch and I get bored. Movies can be really boring too!!
I always have a plan for a fun game if they stay on track and finish the "not so fun" stuff. We do "teacher says", basically Simon says, alot. I always tell the class that the last class I was in was so amazing I wonder if they can possibly beat THEM!! And I never let it get down to one child being the winner. I make sure there are three or so left...and end right at recess time, lunch time, or time to go. The kids always expect that game now..simple and keeps their attention and they love it. We also play "sparkle" with their spelling words alot in 2nd and 3rd grade.
I try to always take a book that I love to read to the kids. Then if their class dosn't have a chapter book the teacher is reading aloud I can use my book.
I try to remember to wear funny holiday earrings and surprize them with silly stories for the kindergarten and first grade classes, and the younger classes love to sing alot. I have a cassette of the Hokey Pokey that I pull out if they really really need to get the wiggles out too.
Just have fun with it..and hopefully the teacher will leave a good solid but flexible lesson plan and backup stuff too. Some are SO good and some SO arn't.
Good luck!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  5:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
What do teachers typically wear to school? I have seen everything from shorts and flip flops to casual wear. Is that the norm?

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  6:58:07 PM  Show Profile
I always dress nice. Not always a dress but something like I would wear to church on Sunday. I think some teachers dress too casual. Honestly the nicer you look the more you will get called. Also the kids will respect you more if you look like you mean business!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  7:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I was thinking of flats, a flared little cotton skirt (knee length) and a cotton top and I could add a little jacket (if) it ever gets cold here. I could also do boots. What do you think? I like bright colors, so that would be cheery, especially for the little kids.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  10:00:41 PM  Show Profile
That sounds perfect Heather. I tend to wear Khaki pants (go with most tops) and nicer tops...on Fridays my school tee shirt, but more often a simple blouse, and flats or even my more fun crocs with the little jibbets charms. I will wear denim skirts and sandals and simple tops too. I usually wear my hair in a pony tail or the little girls want to spend their time braiding it. (long hair) The little kids always notice bright colors and like them. When I wear my red crocs with a red top it gets noticed every time. Sounds like you are on the right track. I agree that some teachers don't dress very nice...but at our school most do.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  05:53:39 AM  Show Profile
I sub ed many years ago too and boy I agree with I liked the 3 grade and under but those middle school kids would try everything and anything. Don't be afraid to be tough and let them know you mean business with that age. the old high school kids unless that is your field you are just babysitting and taking attendence. I actually liked the little kids. They were so helpful and tried hard to help you out and show you were their teacher kept stuff and so I always would do songs with them and do some fun stuff for them being so good. I walked into one class one day though opened the teachers leasson plans and there was nothing written. not a word for weeks. so I had no idea where they were in any of there books or anything. That was a trying day. but thank goodness it was a younger group and the kids were very helpful and I looked around the class and pulled things out to do and it actually ended up going ok so try and get there early enough to get acquainted with the room and where things are, you might need to pull something out if a hat. have fun. Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  09:49:03 AM  Show Profile
You'll be great. Your enthusiasm and great questions show you really care. (I'm a high school teacher). I'd love to have you sub for me! Sounds like you've got what it takes...the desire to do a great job. Bless your boots for the service you subs provide! I hate missing class, and hope my carefully written plans are followed. I started out subbing, and it is so true... your classes and plans will run the gamut. Never a dull moment. If you can share your experiences in a way that ties to the lessons, that makes a huge impression. Nothing like a good story with a point. Meets the desire to side-track the sub and in a sneaky way you weren't side tracking at all. I don't know how large the area is where you will be subbing, but if you could call the school(s) you're likely to go to and ask about staff dress code, they will happily tell you and be impressed that you asked. It's true expectations vary, so stack the deck in your favor by doing some research. Classy and neat never goes over poorly. I hope you have a lot of fun with it!

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  10:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have an orientation of sorts next Monday. I have my list of questions ready. I am also going to ask for a tour of the schools. I think we have about 12 schools in the district, so I want to get to know each one. Plus, I need to learn where they are. HA!!! Thanks for the advice.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  11:46:29 AM  Show Profile
I would suggest pants if you are doing kindergarten especially. I was always on the floor with them.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Ohhh Heather....Schools are so in need of Subs!!! I taught full time for years and years!!! and at one time Subbed also!!! If you are Enthusiastic, Fair but Firm and have a GOOD Sense of Humor you will be called back CONSTANTLY!!!!!..... Important note is definately >>>> a GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR!!! Important for teaching all the age groups!!!

I Retired Recently!! I taught the gamut through 8th grade over the years. I'm certified for Art as well as K-8 for regular classroom and also certified for Gifted Education. I have taught in elementary and middle school. An important thing is to decide What age group you will be teaching in....... they should allow in your District, to pick an age group, meaning...elementary, middle school, high school??? It would be helpful to give us that info as we would all be better able to help ya out with what to expect....we could be a little more specific if we had that info! .....Although everyone has already given you wonderful advice!!!

When you find out which age group and perhaps which schools you will be going to ..... DO go by and let them know you would really be looking forward to subbing at their school. It will give you an idea by just being in the school, what teachers wear. It isn't important so much (I don't think)whether you wear a skirt or pants but IT IS IMPORTANT that you ALWAYS look professional and neat and tidy! I would say one No No for sure is Flip Flops (sorry Heather I know ya like flip flops but not to teach!! ;)One Yes, Yes is to ALWAYS have some activities (educational ofcourse) that is fun and that you can use to fill in when needed (bag of tricks)..... because as a Sub things won't take the amount of time usually that a teacher takes as she or he knows the class and you will be in a unfamiliar setting. If you can go to one school over and over you will feel much more relaxed and things will come easier as to how to fill in for stuff if for some reason there isn't enough plans left by the teacher.

Anyhooooooo....Good Luck! As I already said.....Schools are Desperate for Subs sooooo follow what all the Friends have given you for advice and HOLLER if you want more suggestions!! Ha!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
.....Just noticed you also asked how to avoid being sick! Ha...that is a hard one and really sort of "Somethin that Comes with the Turf!" Try to stay well rested....eat healthy.....exercise! Whatever it takes to keep yourself as healthy as possible!.......wash hands often!! Only other thing is HOPE! Ha! No big secret as to how teachers survive the health stuff!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Audrey...you just reminded me to take my Vitamin C and drink some water!! I have that nice hand sanitizer stuff and I will bring wipes, for keyboards, door handles, etc...ha..

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  6:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Question..do you have to write in nice hand writing? Seriously, I have the hand writing of a doctor and I can barely do readable cursive, let alone nice, proper cursive. I am really fretting this...ha!!! Poor kids.. : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  7:48:09 PM  Show Profile
I find it hard to write on the board!! I have okay hand writing...the classes I am require printing only..on the board alot. I do okay at the top and then it gets pretty messy. I just make a joke of it..and they seem to understand. I am really impressed with good "board writers!"

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  8:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Heather Dear....as a sub as long as you do your best that is all anyone will ask for! Don't worry yourself about everything......enthusiasm and a good attitude (which you have) will carry you through! Printing is very acceptable :)!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Well said, Audrey!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Substituting.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page